Squats, Bench, Deadlift: This is your fitness thread

mrt144

Deity
So at the request of Integral I decided to start a thread about fitness and workouts and training etc etc. A little about me:

I used to work out religiously about 4-5 years ago. I was in great shape, best shape of my life really and then I met my fiancee. We had so much fun together and I was going to school part time and working part time so working out was cut out. Fast forward to today. I'm about 40 lbs heavier, much weaker, can only run an 11 minute mile instead of a previous best 7 minute mile.

Now I'm getting back into it and here is my current routine;

Day 1 (Chest and Triceps)

4x8 Machine Flys
4x8 Dumbell Press
4x8 Cable Cross Over
4x8 Bench Press

4x8 Overhead Tricep Raises
4x8 Rope Cable Pulldown
4x8 Individual Arm Cable Pulldown

Day 2 (Back and Biceps)

4x8 Lat Pulldown
4x8 Seated Cable Rows
4x8 Hyper Extensions

4x8 EZ Barbell Curls
4x8 Seated Dumbell Curls
4x8 Cable Preacher Kills

Day 3 (Shoulders and Legs)

4x8 Squats
4x8 Dead Lift
4x8 Leg Press
4x8 Leg Extensions
4x8 Lunges

4x8 Dumbell Lateral Raises
4x8 Two Arm Front Dumbell Raises
4x8 Bent Over Cable Deltoid Raises
4x8 Shoulder Presses
4x8 Shoulder Shrugs

Each day except rest day 30 minutes of rowing, 30 minutes of running.

So far I've been doing this for a few weeks plus taking Optimal Nutrition 100% Whey before workouts and Optimal Nutrition Casein at night. I've already seen some immediate results in the shoulder, and biceps but I'm still waiting for that "huh, lost some fat" moment looking in the mirror. I feel great though. Yeah, theres a little soreness but my energy levels are through the roof. The only setback was after the first day of lunges and legwork. I was walking like a robot for 3 days.

We could go around in circles about nutrition especially balanced vs. low carb but I'd like to keep the "debate" about that to a minimum. If you have great snack ideas throughout the day feel free to share them.

So, what is your routine like? Any supplements? How long did it take you to see results? What are your goals for the future?

Thats a lot of reps. You gotta be using pretty light weights for that, so that means your not going for strength, but for tone. My weight workouts I usually have about half those stations, and only go 3x8 reps, but I try to work out using 80% or so of my max lift ability.

I also tend to split my routine by upper body days and lower body/core days. That way I am giving those main muscle groups and muscles partially affected a full 24 hour rest prior to lifting again.

So, my upper body day goes a bit like this:

3x8 reps bench
3x8 curls
3x8 shoulder pull downs
3x8 chest flys
3x8 tricep pull down w/rope handle

then I repeat that all over again with a lower weight. Right now my bench press rep weight is about 220 to 230. Was doing 250 prior to the holidays, but took off a bit. I figure my max bench is somewhere in the 270/280 range or so.

Lower body:

3x8 leg curls
3x8 leg extensions
3x8 leg press
3x8 calf extentions (on the leg press)
3x8 abdomen turns
3x8 abdomen extensions
3x8 abdomen flex down

and repeat at a lower weight.

For cardio, I try to take a nice walk every day for at 30 min to sometimes to an hour.

Thats a lot of reps. You gotta be using pretty light weights for that, so that means your not going for strength, but for tone. My weight workouts I usually have about half those stations, and only go 3x8 reps, but I try to work out using 80% or so of my max lift ability.

I also tend to split my routine by upper body days and lower body/core days. That way I am giving those main muscle groups and muscles partially affected a full 24 hour rest prior to lifting again.

Usually I have near failure on the last 2 reps of each set so it's not too much at this point. I read a bunch of different things online about routines for weight loss and 4x8 was recommended a few times and burns a few more cals overall for the workout. I've thought about switching to upper body/lower body at some point.

Also, at this point I'm trying to figure out the exercises I like; The compound ones are always fun and I try to finish on them, but some isolations are way more fun to do.

BTW do you use free weights or cables or machines? Which do you like better?

Something to consider:

While you may be burning a few extra calories on the workout, you have to look at the big picture. More muscle mass will allow for more passive calorie burn and increased metabolism. So where are you really burning calories? During the workout? Or all the time by benefit of having more muscle mass? As you get older, you will see that it gets harder to lose weight, as you tend to lose muscle mass. To combat that, most trainers will recommend strength training as opposed to higher reps for tone.

I typically stick to machines right now as I get pressed for time. Its just easier to move from machine to machine.

I don't see the point in lower body stuff. If girls are seeing your legs then you're already well in. Same with abs tbh, though I can forgive that if you live in a warm place. I just do 3x8 curls and 3x8 bench press. Takes <15 mins, I do it 3 times a week.

I am a very lazy man.

Something to consider:

While you may be burning a few extra calories on the workout, you have to look at the big picture. More muscle mass will allow for more passive calorie burn and increased metabolism. So where are you really burning calories? During the workout? Or all the time by benefit of having more muscle mass? As you get older, you will see that it gets harder to lose weight, as you tend to lose muscle mass. To combat that, most trainers will recommend strength training as opposed to higher reps for tone.

I typically stick to machines right now as I get pressed for time. Its just easier to move from machine to machine.

Well I'm at an early enough point in working out that i will be building muscle mass doing this amount. When I plateau I will definitely opt for pursuing strength over size.
There was a good article I read in Men's Journal about one writer's pursuit for fitness and keeping it simple. But there was good chart in there that kinda covered what you can pursue.

Mise, the biceps-chest only look attracts a very specific type of girl. It's the same as seeing a fake tan, skinny, fake blond. It's hot, it's kind of trashy, you don't reallllly like it because something's amiss.

The amazing blog over at Okcupid had one on the most attractive men and most attractive women. The most attractive guys were kind of thick, muscle wise, but they weren't bicep thick. They had bigger torsos, appropriate arms but not buff, thicker necks, and mostly good posturing. They definitely had some body fat.

When I work out, I basically stick to the exercises that are the most comfortable. Bench press, the hold-dumbells-at-your-side-and-lift-up-your-shoulders, some bi/tris. I try to add in my back and abs when I can. Having a sexy back will win you points.

Anyone done the 3-exercise only 20/80 principle workout suggested in Tim Ferriss's new book?

Not sure what the difference in strength vs power would be in that chart?

You can tell from "speed". Power is your ability to have the maximum force in your press, whereas strength is the maximum you can press. Power is fighting, strength is lifting.

Anyone have any running shoe recommendations? I'm interested in getting the asics gl-2150.

Anyone have any running shoe recommendations? I'm interested in getting the asics gl-2150.

I buy asics exclusively. I am not a runner, have slightly flat feet and pronate a lot. Asics are about the only shoe that really helps prevent shin splints and cramps for me.

And fwiw, most of the really good runners I know buy asics as well. Very, very good brand.

One thing you may want to look into thats new is this brand of toed running shoe. Like these: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

Supposedly, these are wonderful. In fact, many military commanders are prohibiting them on the physical fitness run test as they think it gives people an unfair advantage!! Check em out.

Eh....to me thats more along the lines of skill and form....not something I would equate as 'power'.

Perhaps. Obviously you have to train the muscles though to support the skill and form though and that might be what shooting for power with the routine might do.

Mise, the biceps-chest only look attracts a very specific type of girl. It's the same as seeing a fake tan, skinny, fake blond. It's hot, it's kind of trashy, you don't reallllly like it because something's amiss.

The amazing blog over at Okcupid had one on the most attractive men and most attractive women. The most attractive guys were kind of thick, muscle wise, but they weren't bicep thick. They had bigger torsos, appropriate arms but not buff, thicker necks, and mostly good posturing. They definitely had some body fat.

When I work out, I basically stick to the exercises that are the most comfortable. Bench press, the hold-dumbells-at-your-side-and-lift-up-your-shoulders, some bi/tris. I try to add in my back and abs when I can. Having a sexy back will win you points.

Anyone done the 3-exercise only 20/80 principle workout suggested in Tim Ferriss's new book?

Hygro, believe me, I am most definitely not the type of guy that is after giant pecs and biceps...

What's the 3-exercise 20/80 thing?

I buy asics exclusively. I am not a runner, have slightly flat feet and pronate a lot. Asics are about the only shoe that really helps prevent shin splints and cramps for me.

And fwiw, most of the really good runners I know buy asics as well. Very, very good brand.

to you do calf or heel raises? that can help with the muscle that contributes to shin splints. My fiancee has terrible foot problems because of an extra bone and one of the recommended exercises also was mentioned to help with shin splints.

Top Bottom