1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Squats, Bench, Deadlift: This is your fitness thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mrt144, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Antilogic

Antilogic --

It can, as well as your running form. Basically, you do not want any sideways motion while running because it will apply a stress to your knees and ankles. If you are flat-footed or otherwise "roll in" (after your foot is planted, you shift your body weight from the center of your foot to the inside of your heel--it's easy for me to see but kinda hard to describe), then you probably need a running shoe that corrects for it. These shoes have harder rubber under your arch that does not compress as easily and forces your foot to stop rolling in.

Rolling out is more rare but still a possibility, and they have shoes for that as well.

EDIT: My 3-mile time is down to 26:04, and I've lost at least 5 lb. of fat. Won't be last at this rate. :)

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

There's really no evidence to support any of this.

3. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

I ran 4.5 miles today before work. It wasn't too bad.

4. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Care to explain?

5. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

The are no studies or evidence suggesting any biomechanical advantage given by special shoes based on your running form.

These are my current running shoes, these are probably my next pair.

6. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

wrt running: I'm using a pair of Salomon Speedcross 3 CS for half marathon trail running. Highly recommended. Knee pains gradually gone since I started using these.

7. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Is walking good exercise? I'm incredibly out of shape; my muscles have withered away, I have joint pain, asthma, I once did thirty push-ups and thirty sit-ups and he next day I was practically an invalid. But I can walk literally nonstop for hours and I'll feel only slightly tired. Odd, isn't it?

8. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Walking, more than anything else, is the basic thing that humans do. Do it fast enough or long enough to be challenging for you and you can consider it exercise; otherwise it's just part of daily life.

9. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Yeah, but the interesting thing is that I almost never walk. Once in a blue moon I'll decide to walk across town to my local Books-A-Million, and when I get there I'm perfectly fine. Barely tired at all, and I never have Charlie Horse or any adverse effects.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for me, bearing in mind that I am (a) 16 years-old, (b) incredibly out of shape, and (c) want to build strength more than muscle?

10. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

What it says: Squat, bench press and deadlift. More or less.

11. Harv

Harv Emperor

End of March:

Squats 195 5x5 - Two days in a row and the sticking point is getting smoother. I warm up with an empty bar and a set of 10 with 135, and cool down with a set of 10 with 155.

Bench Press 170 - I can get two or three sets of 5 with a good spot - still working on getting five sets. Two weeks ago I did 165.

Bent-over Row 140 5x5 - The last time I did it (yesterday) was pretty rushed

Overhead Press 115 5x5 with a lot of "persuasion" towards the end. I cool down with a decent set of 5 with 95.

Dead Lift 285 5x5 - I tried 295 today and backed off at 4 on the first set because it felt like my grip was going. I have the grip strength of a five year old girl. The next set was only two. Then I backed the weight off to 275 and did a set of five, and did another set of five with 295. The fifth set was 2 with 295, so I dropped down to 275 again and did a set of 5, then cooled down with a set of 5 with 225.

I think the issue is psychological and I just had to get used to what the heavier weight feels like and the next time I try it will be successful.

12. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

After 3 weeks off to let my knee and foot issues heal, started back today. First order of business - forget (for now) the 7 days a week routine. While I can handle it from an aerobic standpoint, the skeletal system is far behind - especially when considering all the excess lard I'm carrying these days as opposed to in the sweet bud of my youth. For now, three days a week on the Couch-to-5k program to get me able to easily run 30 minutes per day, three days per week. Week 1 workouts - 5 minute brisk walk and then 60 seconds jogging/90 seconds walking repeated for 20 minutes. Easy enough start. My goal is to stick with the schedule, though I am open to slowing down if it gets a bit much. Will not skip ahead - this is a long, slow build-up and I would rather take my time than sit out again injured.

Gotta lose some weight as I have maintained in the 223 to 225 range for about a month and a half or so. This will get a lot easier when the pounds come off, but no big hurry - don't want to average any more than a pound or two per week. Might do some weight training on 2 or 3 of my off days - nothing too serious - more for tone than bulk.

13. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Toning isn't really a thing, the appearance of muscle tone is just an absence of fat around the muscle.

Lifting is useful beyond the pure Calorie expenditure for weight loss, in the form of increased metabolic rate. (Takes more energy to lug around muscle than fat.)

Unwanted muscle bulk in pretty much not a problem anyone has, it takes a large commitment to both lifting and diet to put on significant muscle mass, and becomes more difficult as you add more aerobic activity to the mix.

14. JollyRoger

Yeah, I think toning was a bad choice of words. The increased metabolic rate was more of what I was aiming at. I'm not aiming for any particular upper body look. I just want to get the weight off and see what I am capable of running wise.

The shoe game has sure changed a lot since I was last in the market. Lots of gimmicks and the steering of fat guys like me into the gimmicks. Just give me a shoe that doesn't get in my way and lets me correct my bad habits instead of the shoes allegedly coddling them.

15. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

The shoe game is pretty much complete bunk IMO. I run either barefoot or in minimalist shoes (some of my selection listed a few posts up) depending on weather and terrain.

I'm hesitant to actually recommend people switch to minimalist running shoes, since there isn't much indication of biomechanical advantage either way, and it requires significant adjustment of running form. (Though these adjustments pretty much stomp out bad habits, it's not at all comfortable to run barefoot on pavement with poor form.)

My standard recommendation to people running with "normal" shoes, assuming price isn't an issue, is to go to a few different stores with a nice selection of shoes, try on a few pairs, run around the store, and get whatever feels the best, whether they be $15 or $150. When they start feeling not good due to wear, throw out and repeat process.

16. JollyRoger

While not going barefoot or totallly minalmalist, I am aiming for something closer to the minimalist end of the spectrum than the tanks that the running stores are steering me towards (they put me in a pair of Brooks that are on the heavy side so far as running shoes go). The pair I chose for myself were a pair of Saucony Kinvaras, a neutral shoe, relatively lightweight (kind of an trainer/marathon racing shoe), with a 4 mm heel-to-toe drop. That is kind of what I'm aiming at, though I may keep a drop level variety in my rotation and perhaps move down the minimalist scale once some weight comes off and I get some miles under my legs.

17. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I've used Sauconys for my last three pairs of shoes and I swear by them. They're light, comfortable, affordable and have lasted a decent time.

18. JollyRoger

I am tempted to go complete old school and get a pair of Saucony Jazz, one of the top sellers from the early 80s when I was a high school runner.

Back then, all I wore were Converse as that was what the local running store gave to us. The store was run by the former coach of UTEP that got busted for having some of his runners on shoe contracts. He had some tie in with Converse and we had a fairly decent cross country team with two of the state's top runners. I was barely hanging on to my varsity spot, but somehow made the cut-off to be on the free shoe list. Converse had a nice two pair set of trainers and racing flats, though I don't think they are even in the running shoe game anymore.

19. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

walked about 7 miles yesterday. will probably do 8 today.

20. madviking

madviking north american scum

What speed/incline do you walk at? I've been doing some walking at 4mph at 0% incline in between my runs to gradually bring my ankle to full health.