Squats, Bench, Deadlift: This is your fitness thread

In Norway they hold their breath, hoping for something interesting to happen. Cute.

Trying to put together a 6-day gym routine with repeating A - leg day, B - chest/tri, C - back, biceps. Got a 24-hour gym membership 4-min bike ride away so there are no valid excuses.

Any exercises people recommend to throw in the mix within those categories? I don't have a trainer.

Also, just did a mile run, goddamn why did I ever stop running :confused:, fastest way to get high outside of seduction.

Trying to put together a 6-day gym routine with repeating A - leg day, B - chest/tri, C - back, biceps. Got a 24-hour gym membership 4-min bike ride away so there are no valid excuses.

Any exercises people recommend to throw in the mix within those categories? I don't have a trainer.

Also, just did a mile run, goddamn why did I ever stop running :confused:, fastest way to get high outside of seduction.

Squats, deadlifts, bench press, and rows are the 4 standard exercises. I like to throw in calf raises, pullups, dips, and some sort of abs exercise in the mix (planks, crunches, leg raises, etc.).

I wish I could run more, but it causes all sorts of problems with my lower body. It would probably help if I lost 20-30 lbs to put less stress on my legs.

I wish I could run more, but it causes all sorts of problems with my lower body. It would probably help if I lost 20-30 lbs to put less stress on my legs.
This is where I'm at. I'm on my feet much of the day and I can feel my knees starting to ache. Part of that is age, part of it is because I work out and their sore but I think a lot of it is that I'm overweight.

Wim Hof is legit.

I doubt that, could not find any proper scientific studies at all, but if you have any pls share

I doubt that, could not find any proper scientific studies at all, but if you have any pls share
I would be wary of the Wim Hof method unless you're in perfect health and see a doctor regularly. Tricking your nervous system into not warning you about problems is a VIP pass to early death.

It's pretty serious for me, since I may try the technique against a peanut reaction (of course I'm not an idiot, I would only do it if I was far away from an epipen).

Squats, deadlifts, bench press, and rows are the 4 standard exercises. I like to throw in calf raises, pullups, dips, and some sort of abs exercise in the mix (planks, crunches, leg raises, etc.).

Yah, I like to think more in terms of movements than body parts. The big compound lifts cover most of them. You need a squat movement (duh, squat), a hip hinge movement (deadlift), and both vertical and horizontal push and pull movements (so, bench and overhead press variations; rows and pullups).

For someone wanting to do a split like what Narz suggests, I would recommend structuring each workout with one heavy compound lift done first at relatively high intensity/low volume, follwed by one or two accessory compound lifts done at lower intensity/higher volume, and isolation stuff at the end.

For example:
"Leg day": Heavy squats, then lunges and some kind of hamstring work (leg curls, glute-ham raises, SLDLs, whatever). Stick in abs and calves at the end.
"Chest day": Heavy bench (barbell or dumbbell) supersetted with rows. Then lighter overhead pressing and pulldowns. Tricep isolation (I like strict-form pushdowns), face pulls, lateral raises at the end.
"Back day": Heavy deadlifts. Pullups. Lighter high-volume rows, antirotational work [1]. Bicep curls, I'd recommend single-arm DB curls with strict form (stand still, finish each set with one arm while keeping the other clenched fist behind your back). Lateral raises for your shoulders.

If you're doing six days per week and hitting every body part twice like that, it might be worth having two different versions of each day where you use different variations of exercises (for instance alternating back and front squats, barbell and dumbbell bench, whatever.)

My shoulders hate dips and I could never be bothered with doing anything specific for the calves but otherwise it's good.

do y'all have any tips on improving proper form when lifting? that's what I struggle with the most. especially squats. I make a hollow back, can't keep it straight, and my movement is off and not synchronized properly. I worry about damaging my joints because improper form with heavy weights can go bad real fast..

I suspect I may have inferior form in some compound lifts and stuff. The theory is all well and nice but it's hard to know for sure unless you're able to get a third eye view of your body during lifts. The smart thing would be to get a session with a personal trainer and go through all your major compound lifts and get some feedback on form. But I'm lazy.

Last edited:
Not too much XP there, but decrease weight, and start over there. You'll not get proper form with your current weight, because if you could, you would have.
Otherwise also not too much specific XP.
I had bad deadlifting form, mostly I'd make a round back while putting down the weights. A gym buddy recommended to actually not let the weights go, and just stop a tad bit above the ground, and that helped (had a direct effect, felt better).
I recently had also bad squatting form, but that I fixed by dropping 30kg and going slowly upwards again, with paying better attention.

Not too much XP there, but decrease weight, and start over there. You'll not get proper form with your current weight, because if you could, you would have.
Otherwise also not too much specific XP.
I had bad deadlifting form, mostly I'd make a round back while putting down the weights. A gym buddy recommended to actually not let the weights go, and just stop a tad bit above the ground, and that helped (had a direct effect, felt better).
I recently had also bad squatting form, but that I fixed by dropping 30kg and going slowly upwards again, with paying better attention.

I use very, very low weight. that definitely isn't the issue. my form is bad even when I use no weights for the exercise, it's a more general problem. honestly, even when watching bodybuilding videos on YT a lot of people have improper form.

do y'all have any tips on improving proper form when lifting? that's what I struggle with the most. especially squats. I make a hollow back, can't keep it straight, and my movement is off and not synchronized properly. I worry about damaging my joints because improper form with heavy weights can go bad real fast..
Less weight more form.
my form is bad even when I use no weights for the exercise
More weights more form.

Here's a little video about leg workouts I'm sure everyone will appreciate. Might even learn something about toning your body, too, though I doubt it.

Top Bottom