Squats, Bench, Deadlift: This is your fitness thread

I'm proud of the way I've managed to stay on top of my exercise regime, even with a lot of unexpected work hours and travel. I'm making gains with lifting and the time it takes me to pedal to the library (my primary metric of performance for biking) keeps getting better and better.

Unfortunately, my diet is absolute trash. When I am weight lifting at a regular cadence, my appetite explodes and I do not do a good enough job of stocking my pantry with healthy foods so I eat a bunch of garbage. It's to the point where I'm packing fat back on even as I gain muscle mass. Gross.

Gains are still gains, better to have muscle under fat that no muscle. :goodjob:

I wish I had diet advice but my dinner often consists of frozen gluten free pizza and homemade cookie dough :ack:

German volume training, aka ten sets/ten reps, takes a lot out of you.

Leg press 1100 lbs for 4 (500 kg) for four reps last month. A vanity lift, but still cool. Call me if you're ever trapped under a Mini Cooper.

Had a crazy stressful weekend with not enough sleep and my buddy visiting and sleeping on my floor wearing out his welcome.

Whether for that or other reasons my bench press strength declined from last week by 10lb :( Whatev, I finished my workout and will carry on forward.

Big mood y'all - my stomach is now flat enough that I can sleep on it without hurting my back. My stomach isn't flat yet by any means but this is still a huge win for me because I messed up one of my shoulders a long time ago and can't sleep on it so this really helps me get good sleep.

What strength training workouts do you all use when you can't go to the gym? I don't need cardio workouts, just a replacement for the weight lifting sets I can't access for a few months.

What strength training workouts do you all use when you can't go to the gym? I don't need cardio workouts, just a replacement for the weight lifting sets I can't access for a few months.

I'm about to do a google search for this.
My core exercises work at home: Crunches, leg lift, planking.
Push-ups you can also always do. If I had a bar, then pull-ups and chin-ups, but for that I'd have to leave the house for a playground or so.
Upside down shoulder press would maybe be good to test, but my room right now doesn't have enough space to ensure that I can safely fall down :think:.

EDIT: So this https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a25620352/best-bodyweight-back-exercises/ seems interesting, as well as

But I think I'll try just this workout

besides the things which I can't do due to lack of bar.
And it'll be an issue to keep the 16 exercises in mind :lol:.

(I also like this youtube channel in general)

Last edited:
I run 6-8 miles on monday wednesday saturday

Lift 30 lb dumbless in a total body workout tuesday thursday friday mixing it upo a bit every few weeks

off sunday all of it at home

But I think I'll try just this workout

besides the things which I can't do due to lack of bar.
And it'll be an issue to keep the 16 exercises in mind :lol:.

(I also like this youtube channel in general)

So... I've tried this now.
He says you should do it 3 times, without breaks.
I did once. With breaks. And left out the exercises for which I don't have the possibilities or which I didn't manage.
I am pretty done now.
Guess it will take a while to get used to the drill.

Never lift a weight except my own body-weight in my life, and I went from doing 100 push up a day to do none because of injury, but this guy helps me back to do high impact sport (even though Doctor forbid me) without me putting so much damage to my body. I hope this video, by the Wizard Firas Zahabi-Mikhail Tal of combat sport, can help you guys dealing with soreness and minimized injury during your training.

I liked the video, but I see a problem there:
How do you get to your 10 pull-ups?
He says if you can do 10 max, then you should do only 5.
But if you only ever do 5, you will never get to 10.
So... that confuses me.
Otherwise sounds reasonable.

Except that I'll never be able to work out every day, I have a social life :lol: (not during the pandemic, but otherwise).

I liked the video, but I see a problem there:
How do you get to your 10 pull-ups?
He says if you can do 10 max, then you should do only 5.
But if you only ever do 5, you will never get to 10.
So... that confuses me.
Otherwise sounds reasonable.

Except that I'll never be able to work out every day, I have a social life :lol: (not during the pandemic, but otherwise).

It's like this, lets say you can do 10 pull up at max, and that mean you will force and devastated your muscle that will required you for 2 days recovery. Firas argued that instead you may do 5-7 pull up but you do it every single day without stop, hence in 3 day instead of getting 10 rep you can get 15-21 rep instead without feeling any meaningful soreness in your body. This way you can develop your power and your consistency in training that will also defined the quality with minimum risk and higher gain.

He also explain about the flow, how you should stop training before the flow went off so you wait your train tomorrow with huge anticipation (instead of forcing yourselves through the fear of post training sore muscle, which he argued is not necessary at all). But yes it require you to work-out everyday than say 1 or 2 intense workout in a week (which I can't, because I'm old and I have a lot of injury).

I do get into the flow often, and actually enjoy the muscle soreness :dunno:.
EDIT: I am also sore from the little bit yesterday...

But more regarding the reps: If he does 5-7 pullups each day... he might get more endurance, but he does not get stronger. At the end, he'll not be able to do the max 10. So I think this really depends on what you want to train (endurance vs max strength).

Last edited:
I do get into the flow often, and actually enjoy the muscle soreness :dunno:.
EDIT: I am also sore from the little bit yesterday...

Gosh I hope I have the spirit to embrace the pain like you do! Actually that's a virtue!

But more regarding the reps: If he does 5-7 pullups each day... he might get more endurance, but he does not get stronger. At the end, he'll not be able to do the max 10. So I think this really depends on what you want to train (endurance vs max strength).

I totally understand what you mean but you must also noted that he also building up power that way, that 5-7 pull up after a week or two will feel like a walk in park only after that he can add more reps into it lets say 6-8 or 7-9, the main idea behind the method is that you train not hard enough that repel you from training or breaking your muscle because of your training intensity, but not also too easy that it pose as lack of challenge and push you away from training.

You are like most people believe that train should be somewhat intense, while from what I note from Firas is that training with intensity should not be a part of the regular training, because intensity means once in a while, if you keep driving your car with full of its potential everything you are driving the car will broke down, our body is pretty much similar. But intensity is needed once in a while to break through the border of what your muscle can carry or perform. He stated a very radical statement in this time stamp of the Video.

I think in the video that I posted above are dialog between the general method of training which is nicely represent by Rogan and you here with Firas method of training.

Last edited:
Working out in the park until they are closed & my neighbor has a barbell w/ 25lbs (95lb total) on the side of the house. A little light for squatting but what can I do. Did 5 sets of 20 and a bunch of stuff with the park equipment and my band.

Top Bottom