Squid Game

Aiken_Drumn

Deity
Supporter
Who else has watched this?

I don't want to spoil it in case anyone has not seen it, but OMG, what an amazing series.

Halfway through, not great.

The main character is an *******, it's supposed to be a critique of capitalism but other than Ali and #067 everyone in it seems to be in dire straits almost entirely because of their own flaws, which honestly undermines the critique. Besides which, the MC is still kind of an *******. Sure in the games he shows his kind face but in the real world he is, despite his best intentions, just not a good person in any way.

It also goes for facile mass murder, let's be honest, violent death seems to be everything it has going for it. The Ep1 tachi scene is more powerful than the rest of the show put together.

It was basically meant as a vehicle for battle royale and lo and behold we got a big battle royale with the barest social critique. So you know, it's passable mass entertainment which is all it was ever meant to be.

It's not much to write home about. Watch Train to Busan for a more nuanced and just as gory take. Seriously. Much better.

No. I see no reason to hurry.

I suggest it really hits its stride now the characters have been severely reduced in number, but as you said, this is only ever for mainstream entertainment, so perhaps your bar is set a lot higher. Lockdown has has me run out of decent TV a long time ago.

Hunger Games, Running Man, Battle Royale...This is an iteration of a familiar formula. For this to be a global sensation, I submit that the world must be bored.

Not trying to hate on it. It's definitely watchable. But I don't see why another exercise in dystopian bloodsports is being regarded with such novelty.

I would suggest there is a huge, bored, and frankly inexperienced consumer base that suddenly has access to this.

I wonder what the percentage of viewers have never watched a Korean film before?

In reality, people aren't tuning in for the social critique. It's to watch the games, to watch people die in new and creative ways that involve drama and suspense, to wonder, from a position of safety, what they'd do or how they'd perform in the games if they were a player. Even the show's parodies are like that. This essentially makes people tuning in for such reasons no better than the organizers and the wealthy spectators in the show itself, but the irony is so thick that few will see it. The show creators certainly won't care either way. It's a pretty boring show character-wise.

I liked the characters, especially the bad guy and the loud girl who latched onto him

My favorite episode was the tug of war.

Wasn't a fan of the ending

Top Bottom