Part 3: Greece
Part 4: Rome
Captain's Log: A Journal of the 1st Eastward Expedition
Part 1: China
Part 2: Korea
War Memories: A Collection of Firsthand Accounts of the Tamil-Indonesian War
Part 1

Introduction:

Greetings, and welcome back! For those of you that don't know, this is a sequel to my old AAR (the link is in my signature), except the twist (or lack of a twist) is that it is not an OCC. This will be written out in a similar manner to classic narratives, except the pure gameplay is contained in the "Government Reports" chapters for those who just want the gameplay and not the story. I think that's all! Here are the settings:

Here we go!

Prologue:

It was a dark, stormy night after a day of voting for the Most Powerful Empire and ranking the leadership abilities of each world leader. Each world power had been ranked from 1st to last, with vassal states and protectorates discounted. Then, the subjects of each world leader had voted to determine the leadership ranking of their leader. These ranks referred to different figures in history, with Augustus Caeser as the highest and Dan Quayle as the worst. The votes and rankings had just been compiled and announced, and while many world leaders were satisfied with their ranks, some were not.

Rajendra Chola, the immortal leader of the Tamil city-state of Anuradhapura, was one of the world leaders that was part of the latter group. He had been voted last out of all independent non-vassal states and given the ranking of Dan Quayle, the worst rank, by his own subjects.

Despite having made by far the greatest city in the world, Rajendra was fuming. For several hours, he had been sulking in his palace bedroom.
"Why?" he asked himself, "Dan Quayle and last place, of all things. I control the United Nations, but have no influence in it because most other world leaders hate me. My spaceship project is irrecoverably behind, and my military is pathetic. I control the world's greatest city, but there is little point to it if it is my only one! If I could live again, I would make an empire that would be the envy of the world! I would-"

Then, from the heavens and through the clouds, a bolt of divine lightning struck through the palace roof, crashing straight into Rajendra Chola, killing him instantly. His body disappeared in a flash of light.

It was morning. Rajendra Chola awoke on a grassland. He remembered nothing except for the words "second chance" and his name. However, the time to think and reflect would need to be later, for a man was walking up to him. He was tall and had neat, short black hair, and had deep green eyes.

"Good morning, emperor! Our settlers, army, and navy are ready to go wherever you wish them to go. What would you like them to do?" asked the man.

"Wha-what?" stammered Rajendra.

"Don't you remember? A month ago, you gave the order for our tribes to settle down in large cities rather than wander around or live in small villages. I am Adiyaman, your immortal Secretary and Chief General Assistant. Are you feeling all right?" replied Adiyaman.

Rajendra smiled as he watched his people going about their business. "Yes, I'm fine," he responded. It was a new dawn. Rajendra had been given a second chance, a shot at true glory.

No, I'm an Italian dual citizen actually. I'm just a Tamilophile as well as a Byzantophile (did I word that right) and a Turkophile.

At the moment, yes. I'm not actually at my house, but I have the Imageshack uploads already (but they're a mess), so I can do this story on my iPad (not fun). When I get back home on Friday night, I'm going to start working on my Babylon strategy. I'm asking Tachywaxon for help, who seems to know a lot more about Babylon early game than me.

Government Reports, Part 1: India and Asoka
Compiled by Adiyaman, Secretary and Chief General Assistant to the Emperor, and Karthikai, Chief Government Archivist, dated to roughly 200 BC

The Emperor [Rajendra] decreed that the policy of the empire's religion would be redone as a state Pantheon, and the government as a hereditary monarchy under the rule of him.

The Emperor picked two glorious spots for the empire's first cities. One, which he decreed would be his capital, was on an island [Sri Lanka] that contained vast deposits of iron ore, as well as freely growing spices. It was titled Anuradhapura. He reasoned that due to its location, few would attack it, and he began a project designed to master the seas he called "the Great Cothon". The other city, Kachnipuran, was on the coast, but was close to the Mauryans.

While the emperor was cautious towards the Indians and their leader, Asoka, he did negotiate temporary Open Borders with them. This enabled the sending of Hindu missionaries exploring west and the sending of a galley exploring east. The missionaries then encountered a mighty empire known as the Persians, and a treaty of Open Borders was negotiated on behalf of the emperor.

Upon knowing of the lack of India's defenses, the Emperor smelled weakness and ordered a declaration of war on Asoka and the Mauryans. Inniyavan, the general of the army, ordered the 1st and 2nd Units of Swordsmen and the Emperor's Elephants to move towards the poorly defended city of Mumbai.

There, outside of the city, the Mauryans had mobilized catapults to besiege Kachnipuran, but they were easily defeated by the Emperor's Elephants and our Swordsmen. The city of Mumbai was then taken, and looting and pillaging ensured.

Meanwhile, the missionaries met the conquering empire of Greece and the eastward galley met the grand empire of China.

The missionaries also met the empire of the Romans, who traded the secrets of Alphabet to the missionaries. The eastward galley met the small nation of Korea.

Afterwards, the army moved on to Raipur, where the city was taken and burned to the ground. (No screenshot, sorry!)

A peace treaty was later negotiated in favor of our glorious empire.

End of report.

I'm asking Tachywaxon for help, who seems to know a lot more about Babylon early game than me.

It's not like I know that far about RFC:DoC. That babylon game is my first real game. But I did make a previous game in the behind of the scene with simply pushing the next button to know how to react to the spawning civs. I knew if I played blindly, the game would be a mess and even with the knowledge, my game is still a mess. :lol:

It's not like I know that far about RFC:DoC. That babylon game is my first real game. But I did make a previous game in the behind of the scene with simply pushing the next button to know how to react to the spawning civs. I knew if I played blindly, the game would be a mess and even with the knowledge, my game is still a mess. :lol:

I'm just wondering about early game strategy involving destroying China and getting Confucianism and the Great Wall without sputtering and dying technologically.

I'm just wondering about early game strategy involving destroying China and getting Confucianism and the Great Wall without sputtering and dying technologically.

Ok, I'm a lazy @$$... :D

Ok, you're right. The strongest strategy involves destroying China fast thanks to the mercenary system and get exclusive access to Confu. Confu is not limited to the GW, but also to a wonder far more powerful than that one: The Great Canal unlocked with Machinery. That wonder gives +2 :commerce: each river tile, thus is a must go path for an OCC where the majority of plots are riverside. Terracotta army wonder is also another nice one given it allows you to reap GG from barbs and train your units to the max in preparation of future wars.

Given monarch is the difficulty, once writing is gotten through a hut or not, you should make mass exploration and attempt to reach all huts first. Writing unlocks you strong techs that a lucky hut could give instantaneously. And here is the trick: Leoreth missed one detail when he added Confu to Math instead of letting it to CoL; he forgot to adjust tech details related goody huts. You can still pop math once writing is in. Yes! It is theoritically possible to get Confu around T20.

With the mass exploration, you should also gear all you energy towards Priesthood for the Oracle (thus keeping oneself competitive technologically)
and either oracle Monarchy or something else. And having PH quite fast means each hut you pop is a potential free monarchy. It happened to me and that was awesome.

Being OCC doesn't restrict you to never have one another city in transition. Don't forget this mod doesn't really allow OCC and an OCC per definition gives 5 National Wonders access in one city compared to the pseudo OCC we are forced into with DoC. Thus, I would allow myself keeping transition cities, if it helps me to have vassals. Yes, Monarchy allows vassals and one thing incredible with BTS (DoC is at the base BTS) is vassals to humans never break free from their will. Even with trice your pop or lands or even more.
India is indeed the best target for a vassal. Easy to punch with one or two chariots and got the most rich amount of resources and that is the whole point of having India as a vassal until at least 1210 AD with the Mughals arrival. Not only helping you out to get techs, but if you get PLEASED or FRIENDLY (I think CAUTIOUS is also valid, but I'm not sure without seeing the code), you are free to demand any resources and India has such a huge amount of it.
Of course, having India as your vassal needs you to protect it from barb invasions that compromise their stability.

The greatest foe of ancient ages is Persia. As in the Semi OCC I have shown, a way to not be distracted by their quite strong army, just use chariots (multiple ones) and well-place roads to kill them with a cheap shot. Their army thus evaporates. Yes, he will respawn, but with a much manageable army.
A point about War Chariots is their strange capacity to roll over any desertic tile without being thwarted. I mean a War Chariot can go over desert hills (dunes I guess) as if they were flat tiles, thus capable to use full two moves. And that is a way to ensure better success in the cheap shot against Persia. Because where the first city is settled, there is a bunch of desert hills north to that first city allowing you to be protected from their chariots, but can reach that undefended city without problem.

Okay, how are you able to get the Great Cothon when the Mediterranean civilizations have hundreds of years to build it? In my case, someone builds it before I spawn [as the Tamils].

On Monarch difficulty, it isn't built ~50% of the time. This is when Carthage and Greece are either dead or too busy making military to build it. It doesn't work every time like the Kition build, but it is consistent enough.

On the Back of an Elephant, Part 1: Catapults

It was a hot afternoon in south-central India. The sun was out, there were no clouds, and everything from the biggest animal to the smallest blade of grass was parched and dehydrated from a lack of rain. This would have been a completely uneventful, ordinary afternoon if it hadn't been for the Tamil army on the move.

Ever since the declaration of war on the Mauryas by the Tamil Emperor Rajendra Chola, a large majority of the Tamil army had been marching. The 1st and 2nd Units of Swordsmen and the Emperor's Elephants, an elite unit of war elephants led by Rajendra Chola himself, had been sent to capture the Mauryan city of Mumbai. The army was about halfway there.

Illachiyaventhan, a medium-ranking officer in the Tamil army, was the leader of a small squad of war elephants. He had been promoted to the head of the squad just after the beginning of the war. After three weeks of near-constant marching, he had made some impressions of the other three people in his squad.

Oliveanthan was a quiet, unassuming man of average height and weight. Illachiyaventhan knew that he had been given this position when drafted due to his family's status, who were distant relatives of the emperor himself. However, he talked very little about his family and even less his opinion of the war. He seemed to be a quiet man in general, though Illachiyaventhan had a hunch that Oliveanthan was not telling everything he knew or felt.

Nerivaanthan was a very different person. He was very short and a bit overweight. Unlike Oliveanthan, Neruvaanthan was very easy to understand, for he was extremely talkative, very upbeat and had a very twisted mind about women. He had signed up for the war and seemed to see it as an opportunity for money, women, and desires.

Kaavalan was very young, only a 13-year-old. Because of that, he was fairly short and wiry, though not as short as Nerivaanthan. Illachiyaventhan knee that Kaavalan had originally signed up to be an animal keeper to avoid being a soldier, for he had very strong pacifist views. He had been reassigned as a soldier when Arumai, the previous fourth member, had died from disease. Illachiyaventhan felt extremely bad for Kaavalan.

Illachiyaventhan was snapped out of his thoughts as Oliveanthan came up to him from farther ahead. The expression on his face gave away news.

"Sir," Oliveanthan said as Illachiyaventhan cut him off.

"Please, don't call me sir. Call me Illachiyaventhan," Illachiyaventhan responded.

"Illachiyaventhan," Oliveanthan continued, "our scouts have gotten back with news and General Inniyavan has requested all of our presence up ahead."

"Very well. I just hope that it isn't a natural barrier or another outbreak of sickness this time," Illachiyaventhan responded.

As Illachiyaventhan's squad advanced ahead, they saw that they were among the last of groups to arrive. Nerivaanthan muttered something about how being the rearguard was the worst because of the lack of fighting, and Kaavalan merely rolled his eyes at that. Illachiyaventhan noticed that people were unusually happy and pleased, compared the the grumbling and annoyance at most news. Illachiyaventhan also noticed that everyone was there, not just the war elephants.

As the general came out, everyone became quiet.

"We have some interesting news from our scouts," General Inniyavan stated, "and it is that a Mauryan army is advancing towards us. However, it consists near entirely of siege weapons and is moving slowly and obliviously towards us. I have discussed this with other military personnel, and we have decided that despite the lack of big cover, we will attempt to stage an ambush. The grass is long enough to use as basic cover. This meeting is now over."

As the meeting was breaking up, there was much excitement coming from the soldiers. Illachiyaventhan gathered his squad, and while Nerivaanthan seemed excited and pleased about this, Kaavalan showed nothing but dread and horror.

"Here is our plan. Because of the elephant's lack of stealth, most of the Emperor's Elephants will start aways off and come at the enemy from behind in the middle of the battle. This will demoralize and surprise them, and that will give us what we need for victory. Any questions?" explained Illachiyaventhan. Upon hearing that there were no questions, the four of them set out on their elephants.

A bit after the 4th hour of waiting, the elephants started to pace around, signaling that the catapults were advancing. As early as a few minutes later, they could hear battle cries and fighting. Illachiyaventhan could tell that this distressed Kaavalan. Knowing that enough time had passed, Illachiyaventhan gave the signal to advance. In a few minutes full of dread and apprehension for the many who had never been in battle, they had advanced around to the rear of the Mauryan army. Illachiyaventhan then gave the order to charge, and chaos ensured.

The very ground seemed to shake as the elephants advanced across the open ground, terrifying the enemy and trampling those who didn't run. Illachiyaventhan cut down many soldiers who were fleeing, and when the elephants reached the catapults, woods splinters and fragments were everywhere as the elephants smashed through them. It could hardly be considered a battle, for it was more of a one-sided rout.

Within a few short minutes of hacking and stabbing, the battle was over. Dead bodies and broken siege weapon parts littered the ground, and the terrible stench of blood was mixed with that of sawdust. However, cheers of victory filled the air from where the Tamil army was. There were almost no Tamil casualties and nobody from the enemy army was reported to have gotten away. It was a decisive victory for the Tamils.

Later on, in the evening, Illachiyaventhan's squad was eating dinner around a fire. It was just the typical army rations, but a little bit more was divvied out because of the victory. While Nerivaanthan was gorging himself and stuffing himself with all of his food and looking over the small amount of loot he had gotten from enemies, and while Oliveanthan and Illachiyaventhan were enjoying themselves and their food, Kaavalan had not touched a bit of his. He was clearly miserable.

"What's wrong, Kaavalan?" asked Illachiyaventhan.

"I'm a murderer. A cold-blooded, evil murderer," answered Kaavalan, "for I killed a man today! It was horrible. I was taunted by the enemy for still being a boy, and I ran him through, and there was blood, and..."

"Good, good! Did you take his money?" asked Nerivaanthan.

"Cut it out, he doesn't need that," interrupted Oliveanthan.

"I have just broken all of my morals and ethics! I am a pacifist, and I never dreamed of slaughtering another man! How will I ever redeem myself?" wailed Kaavalan.

"I understand. When I was young, I was just like you. I was drafted in the army, and my brother died in combat. Upon seeing that, I murdered all of the enemies I could, and I felt horrible and traumatized afterwards. Not only was I mourning for my brother, but also for all of the people I killed in my rage. Everyone feels this way at first. Trust me," explained Illachiyaventhan.

"I didn't!" interjected Nerivaanthan.

"Shut up," responded Oliveanthan.

"Just remember that it will hopefully be over soon. In the end, time heals all wounds," assured Illachiyaventhan, "and I think that it is time to rest. It has been a long day, and it may be just as long tomorrow."

With that, everyone crawled into their tents and went to sleep.

Would you rather have me do a chapter on the explorers next or Rajendra's personal life next or another war chapter?

Would you rather have me do a chapter on the explorers next or Rajendra's personal life next or another war chapter?

FWIW I would say explorers next. And anyway, is Rajendra's personal life any of my business? :D

Glad to see you back as well. I thought you had disappeared like constantinople.

Westward Missionaries, Part 1

Gathered and compiled by Karthikai, Chief Government Archivist, from letters sent to Emperor Rajendra Chola

We have noticed that infrastructure is lacking in Maurya territory, especially on the border areas. Bandits are a problem, and we have narrowly avoided several parties of them. However, the people are for the most part very welcoming, and we always were able to get a meal and a bed wherever we went. The cities are relatively small, though the farms are extremely prosperous. A cause of this could be the lack of sanitation. Filth and manure are everywhere in the streets, and the urban living areas are full of stench. The Emperor Asoka invited us to an official dinner of state. It was quite elegant and glamorous, and it showed much wealth. The food was also heavenly, and need to be said, we were quite amazed. Our visit was overall an amazing one and this great empire could be a strong ally of ours.

Sincerely,

Chinnakili, Explorer and Missionary of the Chola Empire

Note: This was not all contained in that letter. That was merely written on top of wax, and this was copied over and saved by archivists. Once the wax was melted, a secret message was underneath.

Unfortunately, infrastructure is lacking near the border, so it will be difficult to transport our armies across the border for the inevitable invasion. The military is laid-back and ill-trained, and city defense was atrocious. The border cities of Mumbai and Raipur should be easily taken. However, jungles and difficult terrain make it near impossible to advance farther. The farms are bounteous and prosperous, and it is clear that the government makes much money off of it. This was shown in the most earnest sense at our state dinner with Asoka. He seemed a capable ruler, yet it was obvious that he was trying to impress us with his wealth. While noticing this, we did not forget about the lack of military competence and court gossip about corruption. While it is clear that an invasion would be practical, easily accomplishable, and recommended, do not send the declaration of war too soon, for we will need to flee away from India's borders.

May speed and grace follow you,

Chinnakili, Explorer, Missionary, and Chief of Espionage of the Chola Empire

Nice. I didn't know you write this well. Last time, that was pretty taciturn compared to this Tamil renewal.

If you don't mind because I'm a grammar nuts-see...

Spoiler :

Gathered and compiled by Karthikai, Chief Government Archivist, from letters sent to Emperor Rajendra Chola

We have noticed that infrastructure is lacking in Maurya territory, especially on the border areas. Bandits are a problem, and we have narrowly avoided several parties of them. However, the people are for the most part very welcoming, and we always were able to get a meal and a bed wherever we went. The cities are relatively small, though the farms are extremely prosperous. A cause of this could be the lack of sanitation. Filth and manure are everywhere in the streets, and the urban living areas are full of stench. The Emperor Asoka invited us to an official dinner of state. It was quite elegant and glamorous, and it showed much wealth. The food was also heavenly, and need to be said, we were quite amazed. Our visit was overall an amazing one and this great empire could be a strong ally of ours.

Sincerely,

Chinnakili, Explorer and Missionary of the Chola Empire

Keep up the good work.
Also, I learnt the word bounteous. Didn't know that one.

Top Bottom