SSI AD&D Gold Box Games

Simon Darkshade

Mysterious City of Gold
Any of you here affecionados of the ground breaking AD&D Gold Box series (Pool of Radience and its successors), as I am?
Theses games deserved to be discussed, laughed over, and reminisced with a bottled or two of mulled bats blood, not left to lie lonely in the dustbin of history.
People, Here MY CALL!!!!!!

------------------
Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you.
- N.S.Khrushchev

Well, it took me a while to hear, but heard it I did. I loved these buggers. I have fond memories of that C64...

those days are over now. move on, its better that way.

Originally posted by Dynamic Cow

Still waiting for better.
Better graphics, Poorer plot/writing
is what we have

Did you ever try Unlimited Adventures?

Literally hundreds of games/scenarios
available on the net.

I liked the Buck Rogers series too.

If you liked G.B. try Planetscape Torment.

I have UA, but most of the games are the same-old same-old. I hear good things about the new dungeon thingie from D&D for computer...

EDIT: And yeah, Buck Rogers WAS fun.:goodjob:

Originally posted by Dynamic Cow

Stupid little boy.
They still remain classics that are loved and enjoyed by many still, and have yet to be bettered by the modern bells and whistles tripe.
And thus, you are manifestly out numbered by those who have replied, and if ye aren't interested, then why in the name of Elmonster did you bother to give your little worthless input? One does not play Civ3 and never will, but ye don't see me going up there and saying disparaging things about it, do you?

Ozz, ye are right on the spot. They may have a prettier sparkle, but nothing compares to the great original feel and sheer breadth of these brilliant games.

It is one's intention to get the whole lot on CD, and get slowdown software so one can play them again, including Bucko, and the UA scenarios out there, plus make a few of one's own. It was a simple, but great system.

One has the solutions to all the games, and various Darkshade tips.
That is where Simon Darkshade first made his appearence...
The best magic items were those in Curse of the Azure Bonds - in the latter two Realms games, they went a bit more generic (more so in PoD that Secret).
Pool of Radience was simply brilliant, as were the others, both Realms and Krynn. Unlimited Adventures was great, but one would like the capability to create new monsters (and import graphics), new magic items, and larger adventures. But it looks as if the scenario people have found some ways around this.
>Sigh< such memories... Making it out of Phlan for the first time; beginning Death Knights of Krynn; cracking Pool of Radience... :D :love:

I don't know if any of you guys have tried em' out, but if you have the game Neverwinter Nights, you can download really cool conversions of a ton of oldschool computer games, pen & paper games, etc..., including Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Champions of Krynn, Eye of the Beholder, and many many more. (I know EOB wasn't a "goldbox" game, but it was still very cool.) For some of the modules, you may require one or both of the two Neverwinter Nights expasion packs, Shadows of Undrentide (SoU) and Hords of the Underdark (HotU). Some of them also may require the free and downloadable exp. pack called the Community Expansion Project (CEP), however it's quite large and I don't recomend downloading it with dialup. These conversions are done by private individuals, not the companies, however they seem to be done quite well, and the gameplay is awesome. I can't tell you how cool it is to go back to Phlan and go through the oldschool quests, or to go back underneath Waterdeep and hunt down that beholder. The maps, npc's, quests, etc... are all acurate, but with post Y2K eye & ear candy. If you yearn to go back through the oldschool games, but don't want to break out the old Amiga or whatever, then I highly recomend em'. If you want to check em' out, go to the "Neverwinter Vault" site and click on "modules". Here's the link: http://nwvault.ign.com/index2.shtml

Coolness. I prefer the tabletop game, though. And if Simon here ever found out about this, he'd probably mindflay you alive. :D He doesn't like 3.5....

Top Bottom