1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stability additions

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by jammerculture, Jun 16, 2010.

1. jammerculture

jammerculture Chieftain

First off I know nothing about modding other then its something you all do to make my games a lot cooler, so thanks.

anywho, i think I have a good idea to make RFC and its mods more difficult and maybe alot more fun. One thing I like about RFC is the stability system but i think it could be taken to another level to make the games more interesting. What I'm thinking is there needs to be more effects to bad stability. In the real world, when states begin to get unstable there is a progression before they finally collapse. I would like to see something like this modded into the game.

For example, when your civ begins to get unstable, barbarians could begin to spawn within your borders. These could represent warlords/drug lords/ other criminal elements that exist in unstable states. Another idea could be the formation of resistance/protest groups within your society. Maybe there is a % chance for every unhappy face that increases as your stability gets worse that they burn down the library for example. Or maybe they stage massive protests which prevent you from implementing your civics for a certain number of turns. Things to that nature.

Anyway if any of you like the idea I'd love to play a game that had these sorts of things in them.

2. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

What I've done in my own game is that I redesigned the secessions feature so that cities will declare independence more frequently and that collapses are more likely preceded by secessions, making it a more gradual event. Pre nationalism these can also be Barbarian cities, representing local warlords taking power. So I'm not sure if actual unit spawns are necessary though.

Another idea I have is to create sort of a political system where your Civics and the game age/situation dictate what you main political opposition is. When unstable you would have the option to either compromise with your opposition (and maybe change one Civic, change your state religion or make peace with an enemy), to convert to it completely - or to defy it. When finally facing a civil war you would have the option to control either your government (the lojalists) or the opposition (the rebels).

I did like the civilian unrest idea with destroyed building though - and perhaps also improvements? :goodjob:

If you're interested in modding I couldn't recommend learning Python enough! :goodjob: It is actually possible to learn this stuff. :)

3. Olaf_The_Great

Olaf_The_Great Omnicidal Oligarch

There also needs to be some sort of building that increases stability, like in RFE, as courthouses(and other espionage buildings work too right?) aren't really enough, and it -should- be possible to build Empires.

4. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Or you could just lower the stability penalties for expansion. Or boost the expansion civics. Or...

5. jammerculture

jammerculture Chieftain

I thought certain buildings do boost stability?

Once you learn to work the stability system it works fine. I just wish there was more results of it, and more of a sliding scale to them. Also once you learn the system it pretty much disappears. I haven't had any stability related events come up in a game for some time.

I really like the idea of low stability generating barbarian spawns as that would bring them back into the game in later eras and would create another layer of uncertainty to the game. This could work for other civs as well. The civil war thing doesn't work as they civ splits into two factions that then just sit there lol.

6. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Have you tried my Spartacus! mod-scenario? :D (Link in my sig.)

edit: The nice thing about your barbarian spawn idea is that you could actually make it happen... Do you know any Python?