1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Stability

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by Veshta, May 1, 2011.

1. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Woaah! nice thread!

I was waiting for that long ago. Its popped a lot of problem and question.
    For me "raze" is important, there is so many reason to do so. In general i think in big from the beginning and always looking for the best spots. so i raze a lot small and big, i cannot get better gift then make raze a temporary penality, just look at RL Masskilling hurts for 20 years max, and people know about less then 100 years, its noting in a life of a country with 1000+ years of history... :D

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Actually an outdated version was already avaiable in the civilopedia
    Civilopedia/Concepts/Stability Guide (and IIRC I already said it to you twice, when you were asking about stability values :mischief:)
    But yeah, now everything is up to date, and the guide itself is better formatted than before.

Some of the negative modifiers are permanent (like razing cities, or declaring war) to balance out the permanent positive modifiers.
    While it's not terribly realistic that things like that from hundreds of years ago still hurt your stability, it also works the same way for all the positive modifiers
    It's needed for balance.
    Actually lategame stability was (is?) still a little too easy in late game for most civs, that's why I increased stability penalty (dynamic) for having cities in worse than historic provinces
    Should work really very well with the increased chance for city revolt in foreign and border/contested provinces.

3. ales_

ales_ Heir

Actually, the formatting is completely broken.

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Khmm..
    It was made for the civilopedia, not for the forum

5. citis

citis Chieftain

I see that losing a city through "indepedence" is very easy even if you are solid. In a couple of turns you become unstable lose the city and become solid again. And this happens while playing historically (conquer Marseilles as Aragonese or Athens as Venetians).

While I can understand this harse stability in DoC, where a city some 4 tiles away is a completely different country in terms of culture. It doesn't make a lot of sence here. Historically speaking European powers controlled many exclaves. Seeing the army that conquered a city near core province joining the indepedence is extreme and unrealistic.

Some rioting or revolts, defence mallus, AI trying to liberate the city is more realistic.

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Found and fixed some serious issues connected to stability
    Will be up in a couple days, should result in a less random feel in some previously strange situations

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I'm toying around with the idea of adding some small stability boost on successful UHV completion.
    Just some minor boost, +2 or +3, mainly for increasing the positive feedback for players going for a Historical Victory.
    Would something like this be welcomed? What's the opinion on the numbers?

8. PinkPallin

PinkPallin Chieftain Supporter

Any stability boost will be welcome!
    By the way, I like the way stability stats are shown in Dawn of Civilization. They let you understand what's going wrong.

9. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

You mean the colored texts? I'm working on that now.

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I'm not familiar with it, will check it out
    But sounds like a good initiative, surely we can adjust it to RFCE in some form or another :)

PS: pls wait for my update before commiting anything to the SVN connected to this

11. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

Stability is a big problem in current games, so I'm all for this. However, I played a game as Cordoba and fell into civil war in 972 so your proposed bonus wouldn't have saved my game. My stability never went higher than +4. I razed soria and went to -10, then -7 the next turn before falling into civil war.

Also noted: Arabia descended into civil war in 828 despite having all cities in core territories. Are there any big overhauls for stability?

12. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Stability is hard in the early-mid game, but for many civs it's way too easy in the lategame.
    Surely it's supposed to be balanced around UHVs, but I still think it's an issue.

Cordoba and Arabia should have less issues after I commit my changes.

13. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

As i see, the big minus stability penalities could work well, with a delay. Currently if you go to -10 its a good chance to loose a city. but usually its only a temporary state. so if u are in 0 - +2 and do something u gonna loose a city as AI too. If you add a 3 turn delay it would be fine. I.e. you have +2, then do something and it go down to -8 if the stability event is triggered (independence) it get a mark, then check it 2-3 turns later, if stability still around -5-10 then it goes indy, if not it stay with the country. is it clear? :D

ps: lately arabia used to collapse and reapear 1-2 times after crusaeds
    but AI cordoba got srtonger and survive till portual-aragon spawn, or later

14. LAF1994

LAF1994 Chieftain

Currently, the Stability system doesn't work very well; stability frequently drops for no reason in completely arbitrary circumstances. E.g. during a Cordoba game, I have successfully defeated the Spanish, Portuguese and Aragonese and have full control over most of Iberia, except for two Independent cities in the north. At this point I have Stable stability. When I then attack and conquer La Coruna, my stability inexplicably plummets to Collapsing. Realistically, conquering territory shouldn't cause this effect- IRL, countries usually destabilized due to defeats.

15. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Did you play that Cordoba game with the latest version?
    There were huge stability drops on war declaration (unintentional, caused by a Firaxis coding inconsistency), fixed in SVN 1146

16. LAF1994

LAF1994 Chieftain

It was with the latest SVN version.
    Also, the 'City declares independence' thing needs to be removed; it's extremely unrealistic.
    I tried a game as the Arabs, but my stab never seemed to go above Shaky, even though I was successfully expanding.
    Finally (on a different note) can you please stop the barb spam? It's irritating and in a lot of cases doesn't make sense:
    -Bedouins and Berbers shouldn't be randomly attacking Arabs/Cordoba.
    -Historically, the 500s were a high point for the Byzantines; in game they are just buried under barbs for the first 150 years (which they historically weren't).
    -Random nomad tribes inexplicably pop up in the middle of Hungary, even if said tribes (e.g. Cumans, Pechenegs) never made it that far west.

17. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

Spain could use an adjustment on the placement of barbarian spawns. They attack Cordoba at the south, but should be spread out more. Move some more to invade from the north near Toledo without placing them too close to independent cities.

I'd also prefer the placement of an independent Lisbon (Ulixbona/Ulishbona) at the game's start with Catholicism, but only if Portugal's southern spawn zone of 2 or 3 rows is removed and they start at Portucale in 1139. So they move to conquer it. Their capital can move like when the ottomans take Constantinople. Then again that creates a finicky situation where the Cordobans won't take it because of stability issues. It's just capturing an important independent city then. That's entirely up to Absinthe :)

18. LAF1994

LAF1994 Chieftain

The Lusitania province could be split into Portugal (Portucale and Coimbra i.e. the County of Portugal) and Algarve. Algarve would be a Natural area for Cordoba.

19. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Cities declaring independence is an important aspect of the mod. Needed for the current stability balance.
    Would you prefer having only full collapses? I find representing instability much better with the possibility for both low scale independence declarations, and total collapses.

Barb spam is not that important from my perspective, also one could argue that it's fake difficulty in the mod.
    I hope most players don't mind it though, it's an easy way to balance various UHVs, and personally I like to see some other civs represented, even if only as barbs.

Also, barbs can have 2 type of spawns, the more dangerous one enables them to spawn inside borders too (it's not that common though)
    About Pecheneg raids in Hungary, here is one example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kerlés
    Warring with them on the eastern borders of Hungary was pretty common though, especially in the 11th century.

I agree with your Byzantine and Arab/Cordoban points, not yet sure how will I improve those situations.

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Portugal's starting situation could also be improved, agreed