1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stable not boosting production of horse archers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Bug Reports' started by civcivv, Dec 22, 2010.

1. civcivv

civcivv Warlord

That's because they are UNITCOMBAT_ARCHER not UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTED as they used to be.
    Civ5Buildings.xml confirms.
    Code:
    	<Building_UnitCombatProductionModifiers>
    		<Row>
    			<BuildingType>BUILDING_STABLE</BuildingType>
    			<UnitCombatType>UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTED</UnitCombatType>
    			<Modifier>25</Modifier>
    		</Row>
    	</Building_UnitCombatProductionModifiers>

Affected units are Chariot Archer, Indian warelephant, Egyptian war chariot, Arabian camel archer, Keshik.

They were probably changed to unitcombat_archer to get rid of spearmen getting a bonus vs their ranged attack. However, as a result this broke them for the stable.

2. TheNoodle

TheNoodle Chieftain

Also so they d get the missile / archery promotions instead of the land ones but it had many repercussions, for ex horse archers from mongolia do not get the +1 bonus. it should be fixed, I hope... It is also weird that these units don't have archery as a pre req tech

3. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

I'm going to say "working as intended." The Civilopedia entry for Stable states that a Stable is a Barracks for Cavalry units. It also refers to mounted units benefiting from a Stable. If Chariot Archers, etc. previously were benefiting from a Stable, that seems to be the error. Further discussion welcomed, however.

4. EndoConvert

EndoConvert Warlord

I don't think this can be said to be working as intended. They use horses. They are clearly mounted units which should benefit from a stable. It doesn't make sense that a stable with horses in it can help with some horse units but not other horse units. The game needs to have some way of marking them as both archery and mounted units.

5. bryanb2007

bryanb2007 Chieftain

Agreed, they should perhaps have a classification of UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTEDARCHER, and the stable should benefit UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTED and UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTEDARCHER units. That would mean that wherever something affects an UNITCOMBAT_ARCHER unit it would also have to take into account a UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTEDARCHER. This might not be realistic.

6. civcivv

civcivv Warlord

Petek: This may hold true for Chariot Archers, but when you start looking at Camel Archers, Warelephants and Keshiks, you notice these are true cavalry.

7. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Agreed to that.

8. Kaveh

Kaveh Chieftain

I disagree that it's working as intended; the Civilopedia article for Horse Archers states that they are vulnerable to spears , whereas they really are not. See attached screenshot (which shows a pikeman attacking a horse archer and getting no bonus.)

Attached Files:

9. buchengshi

buchengshi Warlord

This would explain something I'd recently noticed: Keshiks don't get the Mongolian +1 movement for mounted units. Horsemen/etc are 4 move +1 for being Mongilia, but the Keshik has 5 moves as it's base speed. I noticed this when I got Keshiks from a CS, and was wondering why they didn't have 4 moves like a normal mounted unit.

10. brahms

brahms Chieftain

Is there an easy way to edit the code and make the Horse Archers UNITCOMBAT_MOUNTED?

Sort of undermines your whole defense when the spears don't get their bonus...

11. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

Why should a spearman get a bonus vs. horse archers. They get a bonus against horse units that are melee because melee horse units charge into combat. A spearman can use the horse's momentum when they clash. A Horse Archer do not charge and actually try to avoid melee at all cost so there is no momentum that a spearman can use (or the momentum is probably away from the spearman).

12. brahms

brahms Chieftain

Makes sense if Spearmen get no defensive bonus against the Horse Archers' ranged attack.
    However Spearman can also attack, as melee units!

13. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

The spearman gets the bonus due to the high speed of a cavalry charge. A cavalryman uses his horse's speed and strength when clashing. A swordsman (or similar) can just stand there and take it, but a spearman can use his spear and set it to the ground so when the cavalryman clashes with him, the horse's strength and speed is used against the cavalryman (if the cavalryman dare and if he hits of course).

Example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdlL65LD6I4

A horse archer wouldn't do such a charge (why should they) and the spearman would have to be more mobile in order to attack them and if the spearman manage to attack the horse archer it is probably the spearman who is charging (not the same speed and strength as a horse).