Stables - How many pastures before its "high priority"

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
When stables are available, how many pastures does it need to effect before you generally consider it "high priority", aka willing to push it to the top of your build orders, as opposed to a building you will get "get around to" when the city has time

Three+ = immediate investment
One / Two = I'll prioritize if it's my capital and I'm anticipating pumping out some knights with 'Morale'.

I value production quite highly so it's two for me, depending on what else there is to build of course.

As few as 2 tiles benefiting from it is enough for me. As Kim said too, 3+=immediate investment, just like I do with wells, water mills and forges.

Stables cost 300 production, has 2 production itself, and give 2 production to each sheep, horse, and cow, right?

Generally stables aren't a great building (unless you will use the bonus towards mounted melee units a lot). Typically I want 4 or 5 to make it a high priority.

I might never build it for a city with 2. That's spending 300 production to get 6 per turn.Sometimes I intentionally wait until to build it so I can get yields for completing from Broadway or Ironworks.

I just checked in my current game. With progress Expertise policy a stable costs 294 production. It provides a base of 3 prod. + 2 prod. for each relevant tile. With 2 of these tiles the stable provides 7 production and takes exactly 42 turns to pay for itself in terms of production. That's without taking into account the 33% prod. bonus toward mounted melee units and the +2 prod. to internal trade route from the city. I think it's more than reasonable to rush such a building.

I just checked in my current game. With progress Expertise policy a stable costs 294 production. It provides a base of 3 prod. + 2 prod. for each relevant tile. With 2 of these tiles the stable provides 7 production and takes exactly 42 turns to pay for itself in terms of production. That's without taking into account the 33% prod. bonus toward mounted melee units and the +2 prod. to internal trade route from the city. I think it's more than reasonable to rush such a building.
Their cost is 300 in the game files. Are you renaissance in this example? When you advance to the next era, the cost of older buildings drops slightly.

Expertise gives 10% to your production for buildings. So you actually payoff a little bit faster, around 38 turns, if you keep using production on buildings.

I usually don't think a 38 or 42 turn payoff is fast enough for a building to be a high priority. I'd have stuff like universities, armories, or baths first.

I usually don't think a 38 or 42 turn payoff is fast enough for a building to be a high priority. I'd have stuff like universities, armories, or baths first.

Oh I agree I usually have these buildings in my cities before I even consider a stable. I was just saying it was worth rushing it with gold (that is to get it done 50%) .

Ya to answer the OP question I'd say no it's probably not "high priority" with only 2 horses/sheeps/cattles

Top Bottom