1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stables: How many should you get?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by MarigoldRan, Jul 8, 2011.

1. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

To maximize efficiency, the less stables cities the better.

One or two barracks-cities with no stables produce things like archers for city garrison, post capture. Frees up the HAs to push forward.

Your thoughts?

2. Keilah

Keilah King

3-city HA rush, third city makes archers etc. Skip the barracks if you don't expect counterattacks and just want to leave a 1-unit garrison.
    2-city HA rush, make stables in both cities and build archers in captured cities. Use one of your early game warriors to garrison the first city or 2 that you capture.

3. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

What if you have nine cities?

4. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

Hm, my last game I was in a pretty tight spot, only strategic resource was horses, and I had to expand through a jungle to attack anyone. I ended up building 3 or 4 chariots while researching horesback riding. Did a two pop whip on stables in I think 3 cities, while researching archery (took one turn). I had 5ish cities at the time, it was not a RUSH by any means, but rather a war of necessity at about 500 BC.

I find that Shock promotion on HA's can be very much worth it, especially since the stables cost about the same as an HA. You will have to overcome spearmen, and being able to promote that way when necessary is big.

Oh, just to note, I'm not a big HA rusher, so if we really were just exploring that specific case, you should probably ask someone else.

5. Keilah

Keilah King

When you have 9 cities HAs are massively out of date, or at least they should be.

If you have 9 cities, just use your head a little. Obviously some of your cities will have very low production and/or need infrastructure badly. Produce garrison archers here once crucial infrastructure is complete. Don't bother with barracks in these spots.
    Alternative is to have your low-production cities build zero units, and let one of your 'meh, decent' production spots do the archer building, in which case you can consider a barracks.

6. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

It's 1060 BC. BTW, the AIs have on average, 12 cities. I have to war, or else. And there is no ivory.

7. Keilah

Keilah King

I don't understand how you can hope to afford the maintenance cost on > 9 cities in 1060 BC... err, grain of salt here, I never play on maps bigger than standard or on speeds slower than normal. So depending on your settings I suppose your situation could be totally normal.

BTW, don't panic that the AI has more cities than you. Quickly tech to an effective unit, whip out a big army of them, and kill an AI in one swipe. Then you have 21 cities instead of 12 for the AIs (or whatever, you get the idea).

8. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Darius + Gold Mines + Coast tiles + Some captured cottages. Early commerce is very important at Marathon/Huge/Diety.

9. Zechnophobe

Zechnophobe Strategy Lich

So, this sounds less like a generic question, and more like "I have a specific empire, and need advice on how to run it?" question? Are you looking for the general case, or a specific one? bankrupting oneself by 1k BC isn't normally where people are coming from with this! (You can generally only do that if you've had a pretty significant war by that time, which is rare on ... most game settings).

10. Keilah

Keilah King

yah ok i have no clue about those settings. The bit about using low prod/no rax cities for archers, or one medium prod city with a rax should stand though.

11. coanda

coanda Emperor

I'd say typically 1 hammer of garrison troops is enough to hold what it will take 6+ hammers of mounted troops take. 1 archer holds after 3+ HAs are lost taking a city; 1 longbow holds when 3+ cuirassiers are lost. So I would think any city contributing more than ~20% of your total military production should get a stables or at least be building mounted units (sometimes you skip a stables just to get more mounted units if you've got a very tight deadline before your army becomes obsolete).

That stops applying when you're roflstomping the computer - if you're taking very low casualties and your army is just coasting from city to city taking them with ease, you'll obviously need more hammers on garrison troops and fewer hammers on mounted units. But in that case little optimizations like skipping a stables here or there to get an extra unit out aren't necessary anyways.

12. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

A bit of both.

13. Dirk1302

Dirk1302 Deity

Don't know if you go HA rush. If you go phant/cata 2 stables on 5-6 cities is usually enough. I tend to build one in capital to produce phants, need some more so build one other somewhere.

14. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

No ivory. I have to use HAs to get my ivory.