Stairway to Heaven #2: Pacal II of the Maya

pomthom

Drive & Reverb
Salut les Deity Dudes.

After the fail at my first game on Deity with Mansa and its unforgiving start, it's time for round 2.

Here's our #1 Dude (His Dudeness):

Our start:

Pretty nice... :D

And the settings:
Spoiler :

So here's our situation:

I'm seeing at least another FP to the East and riverside Plains Gold is always nice (lol) so I'm thinking "settle 1E" very loudly. Maybe move Warrior 1E to confirm? or move Warrior 1W or 1SW to explore other possibilities...?

Question: there is no forest where my settler is, does it mean there is an unrevealed resource under there?

What are your thoughts?

You can shadow of course, just remember to spoiler map info that I haven't come across yet!

---------------------------------

Turnsets:
Spoiler :
Turns 0 - 11 (3560 BC): Settle and explore
Turns 12 - 34 (2640 BC): First techs and further exploration
Turns 35 - 73 (1080 BC): On the road to a HA rush
Turns 74 - 104 (275 BC): First war
A misclick and The End

Attachments

• Stairway to Heaven 2 Pacal.zip
    40.5 KB · Views: 167
I like settler 1E. Purely as you get the gold and possible 2 flood plains in capital. Unless you plan to share out the food resources in your BFC.

Warrior going W/NW could prove interesting. Is there more commerce tiles near that river?? Of course if you plan to shift the settler west an extra turn scouting by the settler is not a bad thing?

How about gambling for settling at 2E? Keeps all known resources including gold in bfc with the addition of extra river tiles (hopefully more floodplains). Its just too bad you cant move the warrior in such a way to make sure.

How about: warrior 1E first. If there is something else than desert behind those FPs, settle 2E for river (easier to connect cities, levee).

How about gambling for settling at 2E? Keeps all known resources including gold in bfc with the addition of extra river tiles (hopefully more plain hills). Its just too bad you cant move the warrior in such a way to make sure.
Actually what I can do is:

Warrior moves 1E
Settler moves 1SE
(on Corn) (EDIT: thank you Qactus)
(Reconsider situation)
If nothing strikes, Settler moves 1N or 1NE
[End turn.]

Warrior moves 1E or 1SE
(Reconsider situation)

If the 2nd Warrior move reveals more I can consider other settling possibilities, if not I just settle 1E as planned and not lose an extra turn...

When i said 2e i obviously meant moving through corn, to get there in one turn as opposed to two, lulz

2E looks really promising to me as well. even if it ends up being a bunch of plains tiles, you'll still have enough food to make it work and financial river is still financial river.

Question: there is no forest where my settler is, does it mean there is an unrevealed resource under there?

No: settler can't spawn on a resource.
Considering how your likely settler move is 2E, I'd send the warrior where he can reveal other tiles.
That would be either 1NW or 1NE (on hills with clear sight - not blocked by forests/hills). Which one? That I do not know.

Oddly enough, the tile 1SW of your settller has fresh water. Not sure how that is: can't see any river, nor a lake, nor an oasis... :eek: But there must be something... and that is probably tiny (river?). If it is a river, SIP is a tremendous capital but the gold is hard pass.

If there's a river overload, then 1E might be the better spot to settle on: keeps the riverside!

Settling on Pigs gives you a 6(!) turns faster worker since you sadly miss out on all 3h tiles if you move E or 2E, so i might just do that lol..
powerful if you can get running so fast with wet corn and gold waiting, you lose a 5 food tile for later (-1 cos of city tile) which ofc isn't good, but your Cap would surely not struggle because of that.

You loose a guaranteed good and close city spot for later, and two food-hammer production from the second citizen on. But I like very much your suggestion and that you've considered the idea.

On an easier difficulty level, settling on the pigs would be great imo. It certainly gives an early edge but you need to know how to use it, otherwise it fades away.

settling on pigs is some crazy talk! guys it's 6 yield tile.... in a sense it's even stronger then the gold tile

the general direction to 2E is something I like at first sight on this start too...

Too bad settling on the gold doesn't claim all the food and loses 2T. :lol: On a more serious note, vranasm, would you consider settling 1N if instead of pigs there was a)sugar/banana b)rice? edit: c)grass sheep?

Too bad settling on the gold doesn't claim all the food and loses 2T. :lol: On a more serious note, vranasm, would you consider settling 1N if instead of pigs there was a)sugar/banana b)rice? edit: c)grass sheep?

sugar, banana obviously yes (calendar 100 turns away, mediocre tile yields anyway, blah blah)

rice questionable - it's wet from start, so this one is really tricky

not sure on the sheep since I don't remember what adds pasture to the tile... is it +2F+1c? I think I won't settle on sheep...

settling on pigs is some crazy talk! guys it's 6 yield tile...

Nope, 5..or let's say 4.5 since these Pigs have to catch up with at least 50 food you gained already by then.
6 turns of +4 food for worker speed, 5 more turns of +4 food for improved Corn (3 + city tile), + x turns of "snowball" food including your city tile.

And you can go for the Oracle easier, cos it's surely an Oracle start.
Nothing crazy about settling pigs, it's rather crazy not considering and just accepting a slow 16 turns worker start on deity.

sugar, banana obviously yes (calendar 100 turns away, mediocre tile yields anyway, blah blah)
Agreed.
rice questionable - it's wet from start, so this one is really tricky
Yes plus you have the tech to improve it already.
not sure on the sheep since I don't remember what adds pasture to the tile... is it +2F+1c? I think I won't settle on sheep...
Yes. I think I'd definitely settle on the sheep, dunno about rice, since I think it's a huge deal to be able to skip AH.

Top Bottom