1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Stalin's Belligerent Crowded Pangea

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Silv Something, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Silv Something

Silv Something Pi(e) Loving Maniac

Let's get down to business:

I threw 13 civs in a small map with Aggressive AI and only two victory options: Conquest & Domination. Monarch difficulty.

If you want to play the game yourself, skip the spoiler and open the save.

Spoiler :

First some info about my playing:
    I've not yet won a game at Monarch. I feel pretty good at Prince, and I might have to go back to Prince to practice.

The game:
    I went wrong at the beginning allying myself with the Hindis. I thought, "Hey, these guys are close by so they provide a buffer against the Buddhists" but it turns out it would've been better just to kill them in the early game. Silly me. :sad:

Sometime around 1600 I killed off Washington. (He was the first to die.) That's pitiful. :cry: I could have taken Louis when I had the chance. Anyway, my two cities of his have 9 tiles between them to work thanks to oppressive culture on all sides, even after a culture bomb.

Now (1900s) I'm behind in the tech race. I'll spend 20 turns teching something that nobody else is and then right away attempt to trade it off for whatever my "friends" will give me. I'm currently building up a stack, but it's cannons and grenadiers when the others have artillery and infantry.

I'm thinking of just staying out of the fray until I can build the Internet, then move along with the slaughtering. But that seems like I'll be waiting around for Louis to win.

I might start this game over to see what happens if I start out with lots of blood like I should have instead of waiting until the 1600s.

*Interesting tidbit: there are no horses on this map. I didn't remove them or anything, they just didn't generate.

Here's our start:

The save is below along with a few of my own saves from further in the game if you would like to tell me where I went wrong and how to fix it. Have fun!

Attached Files:

2. Culture Bomb

Culture Bomb Warlord

Well, my first thoughts are:
    1. Settle on the plains hill 1E (unless the scout reveals something amazing.)
    2. With the map so crowded, barbarians are unlikely to be a problem.
    3. On the other hand, there is a good chance you will be unable to get access to any strategic resource so Archery is probably essential.

Archer rush vs whoever is closest?
    Try to Oracle Construction, then whateverpults vs someone who has no metals or horses?

3. michmbk

michmbk Emperor

Haven't played a civ game in about a year, but this sounded like a fun one to mess around with.

A game like this, definitely attack early - that's what I did...the AI only will get a few cities each, so kill off 1-2 and you have too much land to be stopped...

Spoiler :

Pretty much went straight to BW, found the copper, settled it and raced to attack.

That's one of two axe stacks to hit the chinese from two sides.

Huayna had just improved his copper a couple turns before I killed him.

Went on strike a bit after that, but had 8 cities at 1 AD:

And once the economy came back, pretty much overran civs with pure muscle. I stopped with the game in the bag - too much of a slog with one unit moves. Would have been nice to have cuirassiers/cavs to overrun everyone, but it's in the bag at this point:

Biggest thing to this game is taking out a couple civs early & righting the economy. Once you do that, you have too much land not to blow away the other civs in tech. Did the usual to right the economy - sold excess resources for gold, sold old techs for gold, built wonders for failgold, and got the key economic techs (calendar was big here, then currency).