Star Trek Music

Logitech

A Person.
I'm currently working on the music in this mod, and here is what I have laid out:

Music will be era- and cutural-specific:
( @flamand: European culture GFX is now federation, Mid East is now borg, and american is now minor civs, to put civ III music defaults to better use. Do you like this format?)
European - Federation
American - Minors. By default, at Industrial era, American music is replaced by European (Federation)
Greek/Roman - Romulan, and other aggressive civs
Asian - Klingon
Mid East - Most minor civs

diplo Music is very picky. Can anyone tell me how or what the settings are that the game will accept?

Sounds ok to me, but it's Thor putting the files together... ;)

So, should I hand them to him, ask him what files he wants (I'll do this), or finish mine and release two versions(more bytes...)?

Edit: So what about the cultural decisions about the fed, minors, and borg???

I do not have any plans to use any of the base civ 3 music. It all sux and in no way can be called Trek music. As for what music you would like to use, post a list of the tracks names and what show it was first heard. I have some very specific music I have in mind. So I want to make sure what you wish to use and what I am going to use is compatable. :)

I do not have any plans to use any of the base civ 3 music. It all sux and in no way can be called Trek music. As for what music you would like to use, post a list of the tracks names and what show it was first heard. I have some very specific music I have in mind. So I want to make sure what you wish to use and what I am going to use is compatable. :)

You misunderstand: I don't want to use original civ 3 music tracks or files, but the setup they have been used in (eg, there is no Industrial American music, and I seem to recall reading here that European music is played for American players at that time. Thus, since that lines up with TNG era, I thought the American music (now Trek music, but same name, so game can find it) could be the minors who have mostly become part of the Federation by that time. European, is of course, Federation music) No original civ music at all (Because it just isn't Trek ;)).
I like this method because of it's era-specificness (im turning into Bush...). The method of writing a music.txt file like all the original scenarios just will not work for Trek; too many cultures and eras to just replace the old system.

if I have not made my opinion clear enough, let me know...

BTW: The tracks I have are all the ones from this mod's evil civ 4 sister, beta 3 version :devil:, diplo, soundtrack, and in between. I also have the 16 tracks of Trekish music (The romulan is best :king:) included in the game called 'Star Trek: Starfleet Command'. Heard of it? I think that's it for me, but the Star Trek mod, beta 3 pretty much covers all the titles, movies (all the good ones), and treklike pop music (which I hope your not going to include; I DON'T like mr. Kleine's Trek stuff :mad::thumbsdown::nope:)

You misunderstand: I don't want to use original civ 3 music tracks or files, but the setup they have been used in (eg, there is no Industrial American music, and I seem to recall reading here that European music is played for American players at that time. Thus, since that lines up with TNG era, I thought the American music (now Trek music, but same name, so game can find it) could be the minors who have mostly become part of the Federation by that time. European, is of course, Federation music) No original civ music at all (Because it just isn't Trek ;)).
I like this method because of it's era-specificness (im turning into Bush...). The method of writing a music.txt file like all the original scenarios just will not work for Trek; too many cultures and eras to just replace the old system.

if I have not made my opinion clear enough, let me know...

BTW: The tracks I have are all the ones from this mod's evil civ 4 sister, beta 3 version :devil:, diplo, soundtrack, and in between. I also have the 16 tracks of Trekish music (The romulan is best :king:) included in the game called 'Star Trek: Starfleet Command'. Heard of it? I think that's it for me, but the Star Trek mod, beta 3 pretty much covers all the titles, movies (all the good ones), and treklike pop music (which I hope your not going to include; I DON'T like mr. Kleine's Trek stuff :mad::thumbsdown::nope:)

It is MUCH easier to just include your own music txt file and just list the tracks that are to be played. That way you do not pidgeon-hole any track. Since if you do that they will only play during that era. That is why the music txt file is the best way to go IMO.

I have nearly every Trek game made since the 25th Anniversary game Judgment Rites. So yeah, I have heard of it. ;):D

As for the civ 4 mod, and yeah it is evil since it ONLY covers Voyager and DS9 and later. I even commented on that in the thread, I have it and was planning on using some of the tracks, and no, I was not going to use that crappy techno-music he included. Then add to that, the music from some of the movies. Such as the Genesis Countdown from the Wrath of Khan. I have about, at last count, about three hours of Trek music I have found for the mod.

:nuke: Cheers, Þórgrímr :nuke:

I have nearly every Trek game made since the 25th Anniversary game Judgment Rites. So yeah, I have heard of it. ;):D

As for the civ 4 mod, and yeah it is evil since it ONLY covers Voyager and DS9 and later. I even commented on that in the thread, I have it and was planning on using some of the tracks, and no, I was not going to use that crappy techno-music he included. Then add to that, the music from some of the movies. Such as the Genesis Countdown from the Wrath of Khan. I have about, at last count, about three hours of Trek music I have found for the mod.

Every Trek game made since the 25th Anniversary?! Cool. Can you recomend the most acurate, fun-to-play Trek game you've seen?

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by "it ONLY covers Voyager and DS9 and later". There are several TNG, ENT, and one TOS music files. (We are talking about the Beta 3 mod, right? Any others I don't know about..)

Every Trek game made since the 25th Anniversary?! Cool. Can you recomend the most acurate, fun-to-play Trek game you've seen?

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by "it ONLY covers Voyager and DS9 and later". There are several TNG, ENT, and one TOS music files. (We are talking about the Beta 3 mod, right? Any others I don't know about..)

The best one I personally like is Starfleet Command II: Empires at War along with the expansion Pirates of Orion. But remember this, all of the games except Judgement Rites add things that were not in the original TOS. But as long as it does not contradict, it is cool. Thats why I like SC: EaW and PoO, they use the Starfleet Battles background as a basis.

Even though SFB adds a few races, they never contradict what Gene did. They even went out of their way to remain as faithful as possible.

A shame about SC III. It was originally going to be about the Andromedan Invasion posited by the TOS episode: By Any Other Name. Where a group of Andros were stranded in our galaxy and hijacked the Big E to get back to Andromeda.

But then the series was sold, and the turds who bought it only used DS9 and later as a frame of reference. As usual for ST games that ignore TOS, it tanked.

As for the Civ IV version, I meant gameplay, not music. :)

Well, I just realized how fragile the whole civ 3 audio system is, the Hard way. I added 'album' art to the civ3 music, and civ crashed the next time I launched it! So, the requirments for music are:
1: Must be longer than the original track, but NOT SHORTER, for some odd reason. :rolleyes:
2: Must have the correct speed.
3: Must be named EXACTLY like the original, no exceptions

I guess this is more of a note-to-self than a conversation element. :sad:

It is MUCH easier to just include your own music txt file and just list the tracks that are to be played. That way you do not pidgeon-hole any track. Since if you do that they will only play during that era. That is why the music txt file is the best way to go IMO.

How far did you get in the music.txt, Thorgrimm? I've basicly given up on pidgeon-hole-ing the files. The last straw is that the .mp3 files need to have no genre, but I can't seem to get mine to have 'none' in the field. :sad:
So I remembered this thread and how you said you were taking the easier path with the music.txt, and if you finished it, I'd like to unite it with the ST mod on my computer, and then I will get back to the game mechanics.
Thanks,
Logitech

Top Bottom