Star Trek technobabble

Flamand

The Visible Elder!
As Trekkies are notorious for technobabble, I reserved this little tread for this purpose.

I am here and ready to do my duty sir! :salute:

As part of that duty and if we are going to use what Gene established as canon, we may have a conundrum as what exactly WW3 was. As we all know, in the Episode Space Seed WW3 was established as the same thing as the Eugenics Wars in the 1990's. Spock even specifically stated as much.

Now we have the movie First Contact which has WW3 in the early 21st Century and the Eugenics Wars not even mentioned. You know I have nothing against expansion of the saga, as long as it changes nothing Gene had established.

So the Question for you fearless leader ( I just love saying that ;) ), is what are we going to base WW3 on? Space Seed or First Contact?

:nuke: Cheers, Thorgrimm :nuke:

I would say First Contact makes the most sense this day and age as the '90s passed without any large scale conflicts with genetically modified humans... ;)

I would like to mention this. While watching the series Enterprise. It was clarified that the Eugenics War took place after WW3. And the reason for the war was to purify the genetic damage caused by the nuclear/biological/chemical weapons used in WW3. Now just as to the exact dates....thats another story. If you ever tried to match star dates with events. You will find that some do not match up like they should. One of those fun Trekie bloops. I would suggest that instead of being concerned about exact dates. That you just try to follow a general time line. Which would be: WW3...Eugenics War....First Contact....Enterprise....ect. Not trying to rain on your parade...just offering some information. If I can be of some help. Let me know. I was there in front of the tv in the 60's. When Star Trek first appeared. And have followed it since. I should also point out. That it was generally thought that WW3 was the war caused by Khan and the rest of the super humans

Russ

I would say First Contact makes the most sense this day and age as the '90s passed without any large scale conflicts with genetically modified humans... ;)

Thats the problem dude, ST is NOT our history. ;) :D. So we toss out whatever Gene has established just becaus it does not fit our history?

Thats called 'Cherry Picking' your canon. I am of the belief if you accept one part of something as canon, you must accept it all or none. Why do you think to me the series of ST that changed Gene's canon do not exist? ;):D

I would like to mention this. While watching the series Enterprise. It was clarified that the Eugenics War took place after WW3. And the reason for the war was to purify the genetic damage caused by the nuclear/biological/chemical weapons used in WW3. Now just as to the exact dates....thats another story. If you ever tried to match star dates with events. You will find that some do not match up like they should. One of those fun Trekie bloops. I would suggest that instead of being concerned about exact dates. That you just try to follow a general time line. Which would be: WW3...Eugenics War....First Contact....Enterprise....ect. Not trying to rain on your parade...just offering some information. If I can be of some help. Let me know. I was there in front of the tv in the 60's. When Star Trek first appeared. And have followed it since.

Russ

And what came first? Enterprise or TOS? :D

Strictly speaking it doesn't matter for this mod what WW III was, since First Contact was well after that... ;)

Have to agree with you on that Flamand. After all as the civ game works in the general sense. Of a Ancient, Middle, Industrial, and Modern age. That is really what should be focused on. Unless you have changed your thoughts. I understand that the ages would be broken down to "Enterprise", "Original Star Trek", "Next Generation" and "DS9/Voyager". So it would seem as long as you can fit into those ages the bridges for each Era. You really can not go wrong.

Strictly speaking it doesn't matter for this mod what WW III was, since First Contact was well after that... ;)

Lol, true, and truth be told a World war in the 1990's WOULD take till the 21st century for us to recover from. :D

Now just a wee bit o fact to show how that explanation that was given by RKP had changed what Gene had established:

Scientists used a selective breeding program combined with genetic engineering to achieve their aims. They were roughly five times stronger than the average person, their lung efficiency was 50 percent greater than normal, and they had an increased capacity for learning. What the scientists failed to anticipate was that creating a superior race meant creating a superior ambition; the "supermen" felt that their advanced abilities gave them the right to rule the rest of humanity.

Conflicts amongst the "supermen" led to the Eugenics Wars, during which whole populations were bombed out of existence and the entire planet was threatened with a new Dark Age. Fortunately, by 1996 the tyrants were brought under control. Most of the "supermen" died or were sentenced to death, but 84 of them, including Khan, escaped aboard the sleeper ship SS Botany Bay.

Spock says: "ah yes, the LAST of your so-called world wars." After a reference by Kirk about Khan and the Eugenics Wars.

And these factoids are readliy available in that episode.

I guess the reason I mentioned this is to illustrate just how much Berman and Behr have changed what Gene had established. :mad:

Have to agree with you on that Flamand. After all as the civ game works in the general sense. Of a Ancient, Middle, Industrial, and Modern age. That is really what should be focused on. Unless you have changed your thoughts. I understand that the ages would be broken down to "Enterprise", "Original Star Trek", "Next Generation" and "DS9/Voyager". So it would seem as long as you can fit into those ages the bridges for each Era. You really can not go wrong.
Basically yes, except that the last era could be called "post-TNG".

@Thor: as established in the welcome thread, we follow Gene all the way. But I do like to connect Trek to our own history... ;)

Basically yes, except that the last era could be called "post-TNG".

@Thor: as established in the welcome thread, we follow Gene all the way. But I do like to connect Trek to our own history... ;)

Lol, I can understand that my friend. And you are da boss calling the shots on this one. I can only point out the discrepencies you as leader get to deal with. ;):D

Lol, I can understand that my friend. And you are da boss calling the shots on this one. I can only point out the discrepencies you as leader get to deal with. ;):D

I can only appreciate that... :D Trek is far away from now to stay plausible enough as a future if you don't take the references to the past to literally... ;) As I would consider this only minor canon, I'd say it's ok in this case... ;)

I can only appreciate that... :D Trek is far away from now to stay plausible enough as a future if you don't take the references to the past to literally... ;) As I would consider this only minor canon, I'd say it's ok in this case... ;)

I agree, it is a minor point, but it shows just how much I will defend Gene's work. As a writer myself, I can only imagine how much the poor man must be spinning in his grave over how much has been changed from his original vision.

I WILL be vigilant in my canon duties SIR! :salute: :lol:

Actually this should be called "Star Trek treknobabble", which is technobabble about Star Trek.

One other thing. Please make a version of this mod for CIV4!

Actually this should be called "Star Trek treknobabble", which is technobabble about Star Trek.

One other thing. Please make a version of this mod for CIV4!

I thought DeanJ was doing a ST mod for civ 4?

What does Star Trek look like after the Dominion War?

Is the Dominion still a factor or are the totally gone?
Did the Breen face any punishments?
Is the Federation now the power of the Alpha Quadrant?
Are the Borg no longer a threat after Voyager wiped out their warp gate or whatever you call that thing?

If there isn't any books about this then there is no wrong answer, it can all be speculation.

Just a thought(s): I think Tholia should be in main mod (why: becaus the Tholians are the non-humanoid species closest to Earth, and are pretty close to what I think might be out there.. thus, I like the Tholians.)

BTW: DeanJ has made a civ 4 version of Trek.

That reminds me; we need to pick up the pace around here. Maybe we should set a 'Try to get something done date' every week end.

Or, if you don't like that, let's hold a compitition: whoever can upload a zip filled with civ-compatable files (that can be used without altering) the soonest, wins a PM from Flamand including the mod he curently has on his computer!
There would be 3 or 4 different contests, text (not pediaicons.txt), 10 kb? goal, art (pediaicons.txt included, but not units), 50 kb goal, and units, 2.33 mb goal. An additional editor contest would be making something in the editor, but I don't know how to measure or impliment that. What do you all think?

I'm afraid I have bad news for this mod since I've gotten quite busy with projects in real life... (my work and my wife's shop asking formost of my attention) So I was wondering if there is anyone out there willing to take over this mod. Of course I will put all my units and previous work at his disposal.

Sorry if I disappoint anyone. I feel it is better to be honest and let someone else take over, so this mod has at least a bit of a chance of becoming reality... ;)

Top Bottom