1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Model - X-Wing (4/09/06)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Dual, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

UPDATED (4/20/06):

I added team color support to all the red parts of the unit, and to the R2 droid. I also improved a couple parts of the texture.

OLD POST: Here's the next Rebel fighter, the good old X-Wing.

I'm posting two versions of it: One with the "S-foils" (wings) closed for normal flight. And another with the S-foils open for combat. Both versions use the Jet Fighter animations (so point to those in the XML), and both have a polygon count of 1740.

UPDATED PICS:

X-WING_COLOR1.jpg X-WING_COLOR3.jpg X-WING_COLOR2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Aranor

Aranor Emperor

3. woodelf

woodelf Bard

I was wondering where you had disappeared to Dual! Great job. :thumbsup:

4. Civmansam

Civmansam King

Wow

I'm speechless

5. Ploeperpengel

Ploeperpengel academic precarity

May the force be with you! Very nice!

6. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

Very nice :goodjob:

7. Great looking model Dual (if a bit high on poly count), and I love how you put the little R2D2 behind the cockpit :) :thumbsup: Finally a star-wars fighter even I recognize :D

8. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

Glad everyone likes it. :) This one was a little tougher to model and texture than the others I've done. (But fun too. :D )

Disappeared too? It's only been 3 days since I updated all those older Star Wars units. :p I guess that's what I get for posting all these units so fast, and raising people's expectations about me. :lol:

That's exactly why I added in all the extra details which increased the polygon count. Since practically everyone in the world knows what a X-Wing looks like, I wanted the model to have everything people would be expecting. :)

9. woodelf

woodelf Bard

You spoiled us Dual. ;)

10. The Great Apple

The Great Apple Big Cheese

You really need to get some space terrain to preview these things against. Personally I think it looks a bit bright against the default terrain, but apart from that it's great!

11. Rabbit_Alex

Rabbit_Alex Prince

I am amazed Dual. Keep up the great work. Can you make it so that the colors on the wings and the R2 unit match the civilization's colors? Do it for the Awing and other rebel fighters too!

What's coming next?

12. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

Thanks. :)

I spent a bunch of time trying to put civ colors on the A-Wing and my TIEs, but I had a problem I couldn't overcome where the unit lost the colors after being in a stack with another unit. And making a FX.nif file for the unit like another unit maker did to fix the problem caused parts of the units to become invisible for me. :hammer2:

So, for now, my units are not going to support team colors. But maybe in the future, if I figure out the problem, I'll go back and add it.

As for what I'm doing next: I just started on the Y-Wing, which should be done in a couple days. Then I was planning on doing a B-Wing, and then an E-Wing (from the Dark Empire comics).

13. woodelf

woodelf Bard

You should show them on the Lunar terrain Dual. That would rock!

14. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

15. GeneralGrievous

GeneralGrievous General of the C.I.S.

The C.I.S. Orders you to make seperatist aircraft and units. This is not a suggestion!:p

16. senwiz

senwiz Prince

LOL. Nice unit. :) I can't wait to see it blow up. LOL :satan:

17. jojoweb

jojoweb Chimpa-Z

You are a big boss ^_^.

18. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

*Dual sees four lightsabers twirling in GeneralGrievous' hands, and decides he had better make some Separatist starships soon.* ;)

Actually, I was looking at a picture of a Vulture Droid yesterday and decided I'd like to model that soon. So you'll have atleast one in the near future.

By the way, I've been busy helping my girlfriend with her yard work the last couple days. So, the Y-Wing is going to be a little late. Hopefully it should be done by Thursday.

19. woodelf

woodelf Bard

Smart man Dual. ;)

Any plans on ground units?

20. Dual

Dual Gun Mage

I'm planning on making a few land units in a couple weeks, after I finish a few more fighters.

I'm going to start with that land speeder you requested. I like Luke's speeder from A New Hope, so I'll model that one.

I also got requests for a speeder bike and an AT-ST, so I was going to try my hand at those too.