Stardrive-new 4x strategy game

Highwayhoss

Red Lantern of Civ4 Earth
I just purchased a new 4x strategy game called Stardrive at Steam....looks to be really interesting. Right now I'm trying to learn the game and get comfortable with it. Fortunately the game has an extensive tutorial section.

First impression is really impressive; you can design your own race, colonize planets, support those colonies with freighters, design your own ships (the design system looks really nice) do serious diplomacy and war with other races and has espionage. The Graphics look really nice being able to zoom in and out. You can do real time fleet and ground combat in the game, even board enemy ships.

The game can appear overwhemling but fortunately you can automate a lot of tasks in the game (for example build freighters to support your colonies, plantetary governors to manage colonies etc.)

The Official Website is located here.

Been watching this one, looks kinda like Moo2.

Would love to hear some other opinions.

Does it actually do anything that hasn't already been done half a dozen times? The 4x genre just seems horribly stale these days. Endless Space was the last one I tried - very nicely made, but I basically played the game 15+ years ago. It was called Master of Orion 2. And if I wanted to play MoO2, I would. So what's the point of another game like it?

Because sometimes people want master's or orion gameplay with modern graphics.

I noticed it on steam as well and it looked like a game I'd buy once it goes on one of those weekend sales. I basically don't spend more than $10-15 a game right now as I have a huge backlog of games I haven't played yet. But it looks good.

I have had it for a while now, since beta, and haven't had the chance to play much, but it isn't very generic. It is all real time and zoomable.

Does it actually do anything that hasn't already been done half a dozen times? The 4x genre just seems horribly stale these days. Endless Space was the last one I tried - very nicely made, but I basically played the game 15+ years ago. It was called Master of Orion 2. And if I wanted to play MoO2, I would. So what's the point of another game like it?

I thought Sword of the Stars was a nice innovation on the genre. It was the first 4X space game I've played which really nailed making unique races that truly play radically differently from each other. Sure, Darlock vs. Silicoid was a bit different in MoO2, but nowhere near as much as Zuul vs. Hiver in SotS.

Unfortunately, nothing I see about Stardrive suggests similar variety. So I'm holding off on buying it until and unless someone can tell me it really is different from what's been done a hundred times before.

Been watching Lets Plays of Stardrive. It looks kind of like it has some of what I'd like MOO2 and Gal Civ2 to have (mainly tactical battles), if there were a MOO2-GC2 hybrid, but it doesn't look like it can beat GC2 in strategic depth. Also no MOO2 heroes, huh?

Top Bottom