Stargate SG-1 cancelled by Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Comraddict, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Earthling

Earthling Deity

These posts directly contradict the thread the other day where posters said they don't think "normally." Stargate is the most normal/average sci-fi universe out there as confirmed by the living embodiment of normality himself, and you're all fans of Stargate, so...

2. NKVD

NKVD Cossack

after all i was completely lost in all the races technologies, gates and all. Last time i was watching the new episode on TV they beat the replicators by destroying the O'Neil Ship while they were on it. i catched up some episodes (re-runs) on TV it was season 5 or 6 i was completely lost like replicators were nothing, Oris were powerful, humans and Go'alds were friends! i mean wouah!

3. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Ummm, what makes Stargate so "normal"?

4. nc-1701

nc-1701 bombombedum

I miss Stargate:(

Excited about Stargate Universe though, evemn if it ends up being about equal to Voyager that's still pretty great for a sci-fi show, which we really need more Sci-fi out there nowadays.

5. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

Twist my words will you. Jonas Quinn was a waste of airtime next to Daniel Jackson.

In summary, Daniel Jackson >> Jonas Quinn.

6. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Jackson was marginally better than Quinn. I would rather them have kept both, although maybe have Quinn switch sides and become a Goa'uld host and discover more hok'taur abilities (or maybe just keeping his prescience, becoming a Goa'uld host instead of having part of his brain removed). It seems likely that he was of Ancient descent, and so almost certainly has the ATA gene and could let his host use ancient technology.

Vala was the worst. Her frequent pairings with Jackson sometimes make me miss Quinn.

7. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Well, Jackson is good. I will admit that, but Quinn was damn fine too, and it's a damn shame that they didn't do anything with the character after Jackson came back.

8. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

I liked how they just went a bit nuts towards the end and turned it into a bit of a space opera with mindlessly everygrowing spaceships and more and more advanced and powerful weapons. What held it together, and prevented it from becoming trite, were the really awesome story arcs and the hilarious characters. I disagree with V about the Merlin stuff, that was quite cool and well put-together. Baal, again, had the potential to be trying and yawnworthy, but because it was so OTT, with him constantly having elaborate and ever more ridiculous plans, schemes and technologies, his character was actually really compelling. Same with Vala/Jackson, and Teal'c, who was toned down from this supersrsly Jaffa warrior into a sardonic, almost bored old crotchety guy.

That's what I like about SG1, it was funny, and didn't take itself too seriously.

9. Faladhrym

Faladhrym Chieftain

Exactly, come on guys, it's just a show... sure probably everything on the show was probably theoretical (wormholes, hyperdrives, etc etc, and a lot of etc..), it's sci--fi, you realize that the word "fi" means fiction, so it's just to imagine stuff... the show was great due to the characters, like I said I missed probably 90% of season 9 and 10 episodes... and actually I don't think I ever saw Season 10 alltogether...
    but Vala always seemed like a bit "off" she was too naggy I think... it was kinda annoying...
    Jonnas was nice replacement, but it's just like Cameron, he's good but he can't beat Jackson, just like Cameron couldn't beat O'Neill, the main cast simple couldn't be broken, we could reaplace Teal'C for another Jaffa/alien, nobody would like it, replace Sam, nobody would like, those four were/are unreplaceble, just like Homer :p U can't replace Castelaneta, it wouldn't "fit" lol

10. History_Buff

I see where you're coming from, but I feel she served her purpose of comic relief, plus occasional plot device. Plus she inspired a great YTMND wherein the Iris becomes coated with space diseases.

11. Earthling

Earthling Deity

The various Stargate series involve pretty much every stereotypical aspect of science fiction in alien races, technologies, and protagonist roles. The fanbase as a whole is broad, the show delves into a variety of political and sociological ideologies, and the pattern of spin-offs etc...resembles other mainstream television (along with any videogame/other media tie-ins being pretty stereotypical as well). It's basically the CSI of Sci-fi - course, not necessarily a bad thing given one's own test on other less standard subgenres of sci-fi.

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I could never get into SG1, but I loved Atlantis.

Seems to me like Atlantis got screwed over, but I am somewhat excited about SG:U

13. Lord Baal

Lord Baal Deity

I miss SG-1 and Atlantis, but am looking forward to the new series. It should be interesting to see how Robert Carlysle handles a major sci-fi role.

14. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

From the previews "Universe" seems to be a bit more "raw" than the previous 2 shows.

It has a different feel to it. While the formula certainly needs to be altered (most of Atlantis was really just rehashed star-trek like episodes with some spin), that's also an easy way to screw up something that's working well.

15. Lord Baal

Lord Baal Deity

Sounds like Crusade. And we all know how successful that was.

16. History_Buff

From the previews "Universe" seems to be a bit more "Battlestar" than the previous two shows. And by "a bit more" I mean "a lot more". Which is of course nothing to complain about if they can pull it off without it being a carbon copy.

It should be a good fall, though honestly I'm quite a bit more excited for Caprica.

17. Maxxie

Maxxie Chieftain

I enjoyed the first few years of this show because of the variety of the costumes and settings. It all started falling apart they resurrected that archaeologist guy the first time though. His death was a useful plot device and the change in cast did pretty good for a season or so.

I liked seeing so much about that twisted 1920's-style alternate earth, the one that had its own cold war. It was good change from new location new people new everything, every single week. Seeing the same few characters develop for a while and then stop instead of being forced into the fake perpetual development done in a lot of other shows. But the variety was a huge part of the old series and I wish they had gone back to that style more.

They also kept killing that same guy and having him return to life. What, was the Jesus reference not obvious enough the first time? That was when they started becoming very repetitive and I lost interest.

The series went too far into being mythic itself instead of being a vehicle for a little popular exposure of ancient cultures.

The real series has been dead since then. The one ending now was a zombie, and an old one at that.

I almost wish the series had stayed on showtime since it didn't have the advertisement driven plot lines then. On sci-fi it always seemed directed with one kind of thought in mind: "Oopps, let's have them stop at a corner for the commercial break, and then show the cute blonde girl being shot as soon as it comes back----but it doesn't matter, that was just robo-cute blonde not the real one..."

18. Faladhrym

Faladhrym Chieftain

I kinda get Maxie... even tough it was not "ludacris", Goa'uld's had a way of reviving dead people, ok ok that doesn't exist exactly, but it's a sci-fi show... so it wasn't a surprise that Apophis died more than2 or 3 times... but still they pushed Apophis all the time lol, even when Sokar who was "the Devil" got eclipsed by Apophis, which I still think he should had have more "time"... I've always liked to see Baal and O'Neill, due to Ball's torturing O'Neill when they first met, O'Neill was always makin fun of him, lol I remember when O'Neil (I think he was the Commander already) received Baal at the SGC, he kept him waiting on purpose just to piss Ball off, and Walter or Siler "keeping" him company lol, O'Neill always made fun of Baal, and Baal was always pissed at him cause of that, lol pretty funny... (and ofc Cameron tried his best to do the same)

what I tought is that there were more goa'ulds to go after instead of only Apophis... Her'Ur would had made a nice villan for a season, cause I always felt like punching him for being an imbecile... cause for me Heru'Ur was the 2nd bad guy, always having some1 else in front of him as the major threat... lol gotta go to work.. cya

19. Lord Baal

Lord Baal Deity

I suppose I get that for torturing the poor guy. But he was a Tok'Ra for crying out loud! What was I supposed to do, not torture him?

I've got no real problem with Apophis' continued survival. It always made sense and was well explained, rather than the common; "he leapt from the pit, in an amazing bound" solution employed by many sci-fi shows. My problem is that I just don't feel that Apophis was a compelling enough character to keep alive for so long. Baal was easily the most compelling Goa'uld, but there were other good ones who were wasted. Camulus springs to mind immediately; he only lasted two episodes, despite being the second most interesting Goa'uld, after Baal.

Again, I've got no real problem with Ben Browder's character, aside from the fact that it was just a clone of O'Niell, and not a particularly good one. I'd frankly have preferred it if Major Lorne got that job. He was an underused character, in my opinion, and I'd accept him as the leader of SG-1.

20. SeleucusNicator

SeleucusNicator Diadoch

The show stopped being good when Anubis became the main villain, in my opinion. He was a very boring character.