Staring at the Silver Screen - A Hollywood IOT

dragonprobably

The Poster Formerly Known as MartinLuther
Hey Guys, your ol' pal Martin here. Let's play a game I stole from somewhere else.

Signing Up

Just use this template:

Studio Name:
Studio Head:
Logo:
Focus
(What sort of films are you going to focus on?):
It's fine to put in other information like backstory and any other info you deem important.

Turns

Turns will take a week in a half and will be split into two phases: the production phase and the voting phase. Each turn will represent a year in our little timeline.

Production Phase

The first half of our turn. This is when we make our films. You will each have points to spend. You start with 1000 points.

Use this template:

Studio Name: Clarion Films
Planned Film: The War of the Worlds
Genre: Science-Fiction (425)
Media Source: Fiction Literature (25)
Film Level: Blockbuster (225)
Type: Live-Action (100)
Planned Release Year: 2002

Staring Number of Points: 1000
Points Spent: 775
Points Remaining: 225

Cast: (Note: If you add photos, please link in text. Scrolling through a series head-shots of characters/actors can be problematic).

Herbert George - ?
Mrs. George - ?
Rupert George - ?
Ogilvy - ?
The Artilleryman - ?

Plot: The first modern alien invasion story, this film is an accurate (if slightly abridged) version of the classic H.G. Wells novel, set in Victorian/Edwardian Britain.

Production Notes:
(I.E., who might be doing special effects, set design, etc. Also, does it have a style or mood different from other films if its a certain genre? Grimdark, comedic, or grounded superhero film for example. You can also post any concept art you find online for characters here)

Spoiler List of Genres and their Cost :

• Science-Fiction - 350
  • Superhero - 375
  • Fantasy/Supernatural - 350
  • Drama - 275
  • Horror - 250
  • Action - 175
  • Crime/Thriller - 250
  • Documentary/Biopic - 125
  • Period/Historical - 300
  • Romance - 150
  • Comedy - 150
If you're going with a mixed genre, just go with the one that is used more. So if you were making a SciFi Horror Creature Feature and it focuses more on the Creature than the SciFi, it'd be classified under horror.

Spoiler List of Media Sources and their Cost :

• Television Show- 60
  • Movie Series - 80
  • Comic/Graphic Novel - 80
  • Fiction Literature - 20
  • Non-Fiction Literature - 20
  • Video Games - 60
  • Original Concept - 20
  • Theater - 40
If something is not on this list that you're trying to adapt, tell me and I'll add it.

Spoiler List of Film Levels and their Cost :

• B-Movie - 100 (Can Be Released Same Year/Turn and Has a + 25pt bonus to Voting Pts)
  • General Release - 120 (Must Be Released Next Turn and Has a + 50pt bonus to Voting Pts)
  • Blockbuster - 140 (Must Be Released Two Turns and Has a + 75pt bonus to Voting Pts)

Spoiler List of Types and their Cost :

• Live Action Films cost 90 points
  • Animated Films cost 110 points

Notes:
  • Your plot and production can be as long as you like. If you want to put massive amounts of effort into it, go ahead.
  • It's possible to release multiple films in one turn, so long as you have the funds to do so.
  • If you're going to make up a cast member, for the love of God, include a image of what they look like so we can picture this thing in our heads.
  • I should see all the characters in your cast in your plot.

Voting Phase

This is the second half of our turn. Here we'll vote for movies that were set for release this turn. I will have multiple categories for us to vote in. I trust that you aren't voting for yourself, don't abuse my trust.

Voting Points Allocation

1st - 725
2nd - 675
3rd - 625
4th - 575
5th - 500
(Etc)

If you didn't release a movie, you'll just get 250 points. If there are ties, I'll flip a coin.

Events

At the start of every turn, there will be an event. Some might be positive, some might be negative. Some might be based on what's happening right now in the world, some might be for kick.

Spoiler Examples :

• Writers Guild Strike - Due to poor negotiations between studio heads and the WGA, all films released in the next two years must push back their release date by one year.
  • Breaking Through The Great Wall - The Chinese Market is lucrative, and if you want in, you need to stay on their good side. Either set part of your film in China or hire Chinese/Chinese-American actors for prominent roles. Success will gain an extra 50 points to your end of turn voting point.
  • Cool Cola Product Placement - The Cool Cola Company wants its product advertised in a film. For any film that adds their product on screen, you will gain an extra 75 points to your end of turn points.
  • Executive Meddling (Romance) - Are you planning a new film for release? Well, you better add a love interest or focus on a romantic angle quick. Otherwise you will lose 50 points from your end of turn points in after its release.
  • The Next Big Thing - Jump on the bandwagon folks, because the Next Big Thing (Insert Relevant NBT here) is right around the corner. Studios who get on this bandwagon get their choice of +3 votes during voting turn or an extra 50 points in addition to their voting points.
  • No Longer Than... - Executive's say long films have poor turnaround and not enough seats in the...well, seats. All films for the next two turns are requested to no more than four paragraphs in description, so you best be concise. Exceeding this limit will see a - 50 points from your final post-vote tally.

Note: It will be easier for me to see when you're trying to follow the event if you bold it.

Rules

1. Keep it clean. Nothing too NSFW.
  2. If you can't keep up with the schedule, please let me know.
  3. Be somewhat realistic. To quote what I ripped off: "It's one thing to make someone a star maybe a year or two earlier than OTL, but if they didn't become prominent until 2015, and its only 2003 in game, then maybe wait a bit before using them. Also, don't adapt the year something comes out (or even before) but a year or two afterward is good.
  4. Don't make an original property years before it is actually made. I don't want to see Star Wars in 1956.
  5. Feel free to RP.

Studio Name: Checkmate Films
Studio Head: Vincent Martino
Logo:

Focus:
Science-Fiction

Vincent Martino:

After his family's restaurant went under, his high school friend, Giovanni Conti, convinced him to come out west to go into the film business. Conti wanted someone to run the business side of things and Martino was the only person with that experience that Conti trusted. Martino agreed to head the company so long as he can name it Checkmate Films, after his love for the game of Chess.

Giovanni Conti:

Conti graduated from NYU with a Bachelor's in Film in 1949. Conti gained his interest in film when he and his high school friend, Vincent Martino, would sneak out of their parent's apartments and sneak into movie theater showings. He was convinced he wanted to start his own film company and wanted Martino to do it with him.

Top Bottom