Start Bias

SahintheFalcon

Chieftain
Does anyone know what the starting biases are for Civ VI? I mean some are pretty obvious, Egypt starting in desert and Brazil starting in Jungle. But what about the other civs?

I've been digging through the files a bit and based on what I found in Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Assets/Gameplay/Data/Civilizations.xml, the starting biases are:

Brazil: Jungle
Egypt: Flood Plains (and rivers in general)
England: Coast
France: River
Greece: Hills (of any type: Grass/Plains/Tundra/Desert)
Kongo: Jungle or Forest
Norway: Coast and Forest
Russia: Tundra (and Tundra hills)
Scythia: Grassland/Plains with Horses (yes, they actually have a Horse bias)
Spain: Coast
Sumeria: River

Each of these also has a number associated with it, indicating their "tier", varying from 1 to 5. I believe lower number means higher priority, but I'm not sure if that is in comparison to other civs with that bias or just your own. I decided to leave them out to make the list easier to read but I can add them if you want.

Can't back this up with hard data from the game-files, but in my experience (coming from re-rolling the game 15 to 20 times):

Japan: On or near the coast, usually located towards the northern or southern edge of the map. Usually starts with tundra nearby, no mountains, very few hills. Usually also has good food sources within settling range of the capital (multiple rice and/or wheat).

Again: This is highly anecdotal and might just be a huge coincidence. But in my games there seemed to be a clear bias as I've described it above.

S.

I've been digging through the files a bit and based on what I found in Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Assets/Gameplay/Data/Civilizations.xml, the starting biases are:

Each of these also has a number associated with it, indicating their "tier", varying from 1 to 5. I believe lower number means higher priority, but I'm not sure if that is in comparison to other civs with that bias or just your own. I decided to leave them out to make the list easier to read but I can add them if you want.

These numbers would be interesting indeed !

does this mean unmentioned civs are neutral, or no start bias?

I've had some wierd starting locations that don't play into those very well, so there is that element of what the map throws up

I've had some wierd starting locations that don't play into those very well, so there is that element of what the map throws up
It has always been the case that starting basis just gives a greater chance of starting in certain locations, not a guarantee

I have been in a Russia reroll loop. Tundra. I understand their bonus and had suspected after 5 restarts that something was up.

The list provided above is very useful.

Top Bottom