Start Locations

Beleth

Chieftain
Hello everybody

And well, maybe this topic will be strange BUT I really cant stop thinking about it - I dont like start locations is too random... If I only could choose, for example, place European civilizations on the one continent and Native Americans on the another, something like this. Or to put Asian civilization more far away from Eropean civilization and so on... Or to place USA on the different continent. So Im thinking about start locations. They are too random, even with some rules like Russia always closer to the snow... Is it possible to choose or something like that?.. I dont know about others, but for this is kind of important.

In regards to the first part; IMO, this rule would be to restrictive on the random nature of the game. If I'm playing Germany I don't ALWAYS want to start next to Spain, Russia, Rome ect every game. I do believe that there is a New World map that runs a script that creates something similar to what you're looking for. It puts things like Shoshone, Aztec and Inca in the New World, and places European Civs in the Olde World.

You can definitely do the second thing you're asking about. When you select Single Player, go into Advanced Options and on the right side is a list of options you can change. One of them is Disable Start Bias. Once you check that, it will remain checked for all future games so you may need to remember to uncheck it later. It will cause things like Morocco to NOT start in the desert which is bad because no Kasbahs. Or Netherlands to NOT start near Swamps/Desert which is REALLY BAD due to their Polder tile Improvement. But it does have the BONUS of keeping civs like Russia from being stuck in Tundra, or Egypt being stuck in Desert.

In regards to the first part; IMO, this rule would be to restrictive on the random nature of the game. If I'm playing Germany I don't ALWAYS want to start next to Spain, Russia, Rome ect every game. I do believe that there is a New World map that runs a script that creates something similar to what you're looking for. It puts things like Shoshone, Aztec and Inca in the New World, and places European Civs in the Olde World.

You can definitely do the second thing you're asking about. When you select Single Player, go into Advanced Options and on the right side is a list of options you can change. One of them is Disable Start Bias. Once you check that, it will remain checked for all future games so you may need to remember to uncheck it later. It will cause things like Morocco to NOT start in the desert which is bad because no Kasbahs. Or Netherlands to NOT start near Swamps/Desert which is REALLY BAD due to their Polder tile Improvement. But it does have the BONUS of keeping civs like Russia from being stuck in Tundra, or Egypt being stuck in Desert.
Well, about first thing you have said - there is Terra map. But in this map all civs always start on one continent, land-mass. Its not bad solution, because land-mass could emulate few continents (for example, Eurasia and Africa also have land connection). But there is no any civs which will start on islands or on the another continent (new world). Well it would be great opportunity to play anyway BUT there is one thing - I already played on Terra map and had problem when civs doesn't make colonies... Almost NEVER. They are stocking on first continent even when they have problems with expansion on it because a lot of land taken by huge empires. Even England and Spain doesn't create colonies. Its very strange.
About second thing you have said - I dont get it... I need more start bias influence and not need to turn it off...

Well, about first thing you have said - there is Terra map. But in this map all civs always start on one continent, land-mass. Its not bad solution, because land-mass could emulate few continents (for example, Eurasia and Africa also have land connection). But there is no any civs which will start on islands or on the another continent (new world). Well it would be great opportunity to play anyway BUT there is one thing - I already played on Terra map and had problem when civs doesn't make colonies... Almost NEVER. They are stocking on first continent even when they have problems with expansion on it because a lot of land taken by huge empires. Even England and Spain doesn't create colonies. Its very strange.
About second thing you have said - I dont get it... I need more start bias influence and not need to turn it off...

1- I'm not talking about the Terra Map although I was slightly incorrect. I remember I had played something similar to what you wanted in the past and after looking around a little I found it. It's a Scenario. There's two of them; Conquest of the New World, and Conquest of the New World Deluxe. With it being a Scenario it plays a little differently than a normal game, but it looks to be just what you're looking for.

2 -My bad. I thought you were complaining about Russia being near snow, to avoid that you'd have to turn the start bias off.

Start bias is slightly randomized. It keeps nations like Netherlands from ALWAYS starting in the swamp which would be super OP in multiplayer. If you are only concerned with the Civ you are playing, and not the start bias' of the AIs then you can always use the Restart Game option in the main menu during the first turn. So, if you're playing Morocco and realize you aren't in the desert, you just Restart Game and it keeps all of the options you selected, but builds you another Map and start location. It should only take a few restarts before you find your start bias.

1- I'm not talking about the Terra Map although I was slightly incorrect. I remember I had played something similar to what you wanted in the past and after looking around a little I found it. It's a Scenario. There's two of them; Conquest of the New World, and Conquest of the New World Deluxe. With it being a Scenario it plays a little differently than a normal game, but it looks to be just what you're looking for.

2 -My bad. I thought you were complaining about Russia being near snow, to avoid that you'd have to turn the start bias off.

Start bias is slightly randomized. It keeps nations like Netherlands from ALWAYS starting in the swamp which would be super OP in multiplayer. If you are only concerned with the Civ you are playing, and not the start bias' of the AIs then you can always use the Restart Game option in the main menu during the first turn. So, if you're playing Morocco and realize you aren't in the desert, you just Restart Game and it keeps all of the options you selected, but builds you another Map and start location. It should only take a few restarts before you find your start bias.

Well I will try this scenario. Must be interesting. I havent played any scenario yet expect of Steampunk world. Also if there would be possible to make AI civs create colonies in Terra map... Do you have any ideas about it? Maybe size of map could change anything?.. I mean if map is bigger or if its smaller.

What difficulty level are you playing?

I play mostly at Emperor level, and I've noticed that whenever I play a game at lower levels (like sometimes the mid-month Game-of-the Month) that I also get frustrated at the AI's slow expansion. Maybe (when you're ready) moving up a level or two will help.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Prince mode is probably why the AI isn't expanding much. Once you hit Emperor you'll notice AI gets it's 1st expo up before you do, and typically expands all they way through Renaissance for Tradition, and the entire game for Liberty.

Here is a link to a True Start location map that will start civs based on historical locations. I have had a blast playing with it, so if this is what you are looking for, check it out. You'll obviously have the same map every time, but the civs present won't always be guaranteed unless you play with all 43

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160163330

Here is a link to a True Start location map that will start civs based on historical locations. I have had a blast playing with it, so if this is what you are looking for, check it out. You'll obviously have the same map every time, but the civs present won't always be guaranteed unless you play with all 43

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160163330
Hello again and sorry for sooo late answer. Im back into game now. I found few resolutions of my problem in Steam Workshop - first of all, its cultural start location mod. This is almost perfect thing! just a bit weird - city-states always spawns on islands. And second thing its In-game Editor, I think you heard about it. Unfortunatelly, this hude mod with 43 civs on one map is too big for my laptop. But maybe there is any more smaller edition?.. I started to play with in-game editor, tried to play on huge map of real earth, placed all civs where they supposed to be BUT then... there is problem again - some European civs still doesnt want to place cites where its needed, like France or Spain, for example. I choosed start from Medieval Era, so there is 2 cities for every civ, and I though - its okay what in the future new cities of European civs will be around Europe (colinial age, huh), but I wanted to them to settle first 2 cities in Europe, what they doesnt want to do. I spawned resocures, I also checked if there enough place (4 gexs rule), but still no success. So then my second question is - if there is some edtiors, which have more possibilities (perhaps not in-game editors), like even spawn cities where I want?.. Besides if small versions of real Earth still exists, its also would be ok.
Thank you.

OH THERE SOME MORE NEWS> I just found scenarios which are helping me, like real earth map with real start locations. OMG, why I haven t tried it before =) On some of them are pretty much if CIVs (more than 12) but still not 42 like on that mega giant map (this is too much for my machine). So I guess I resolved my poblem. Only one thing Im still curios about - as I found mod on real spawning dates, is it possible to use with another scenarios like real Earth with real start locations, so it will be like rhye's and fall of civilizations for CIV5 hah. Will try to figure it out.

I think you have already found it, but just in case you have not, the YNAEMP maps should have true starting locations (TSL). Never tried them myself, but they seem to be very popular. Although Europe is probably too crowded if your computer cannot handle the huge maps and you have to play on standard. You can always try disabling some of the European civs in the Really Advanced Start (RAS) mod to remedy this though.

Top Bottom