Start up the organized RPG again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider

In Retrospect
I've got acouple of ideas on how to start up the DG2-like RPG again, just without the huge amount of management involved. If I'm doing the calculations right, it shouldn't take more than myself to operate the entire game. Of course, if BCLG is interested... I'll be perfectly happy to share the workload :p.

Anyway, who's interested?

-- Strider, Father Of The Demogame RPG

I am interested so long as it does not become drowned out in economic simish level.

CivGeneral said:
I am interested so long as it does not become drowned out in economic simish level.

My plan right now, is just to start with the 'basics.' Start off small, build up as time goes on.

Sounds cool, but could someone explain it to me, i don't no anything prior to the formation of the Civ4 demogame.

Swissempire said:
Sounds cool, but could someone explain it to me, i don't no anything prior to the formation of the Civ4 demogame.

You can check out the orginal RPG here.

Basically, it's a simulation. You take the role as a single citizen within the demogame (the actual game... you have to use your imagination ;))

The original DG2 RP was interesting, although heavily skewed towards the landed gentry. A lot like real life in that respect, actually. Once you bought land, it was kinda difficult for anyone else to get any. If you could find a way to make it more accessible to everyone Strider, I'd take part! Maybe even start up the old Fanatikan Football League (or some derivation.) ~_^

guess im a father too, me you and shaitan, i liked the economic side to the rpg2 however did require a lot of management, ill be willing to help, PM me or post your ideas we'll take a looksee at it all.

Veera Anlai said:
The original DG2 RP was interesting, although heavily skewed towards the landed gentry. A lot like real life in that respect, actually. Once you bought land, it was kinda difficult for anyone else to get any. If you could find a way to make it more accessible to everyone Strider, I'd take part! Maybe even start up the old Fanatikan Football League (or some derivation.) ~_^

Here's what I'm thinking:

Cut out the old method of your income depending upon your office. Instead, income is based on a "virtue" point system. Each RPG member, receives one virtue point at the start of the game (1 merit point = 10 gpt). Your rewarded additional virtue points for various activities.

To keep the time-consuming management down, the your income is rewarded weekly (instead of based on a turnchat). So, instead of updating the bank three times a week, it'll only get updated once a week. Also, add in an "inactivity" period. Basically, if your account is inactive for two weeks (without you actually sending a PM.. or posting that your be away), the account is closed. No getting it back. That way, only the people who are actually playing the game gets an update.

Also... the idea is to move slowly. Start off with just basic tournaments, etc. Expand to allow business's, land management, etc. as time goes on. Also, with the land management... selling land off in "blocks" instead of tile-by-tile would cut down time alot also. ;)

Make it simple, no complex you get ?? gold for owning that tile, etc.

I'd like to bring in the old merit/flaw and stats system, for use in tournaments and storylines.

about the tile by tile thing if we are going to use it we can use it that way as this is civ4, we will probably not have the huge gaping empire we had in civ2 simply due to the amount of money it would cost to run it, so tile by tile can still work very nicely.

We should defenately have the land tiles be more accessable to all partisipants. For me, I am already invisoning on creating a small Papal State in the RPG.

Ah you missed out but was very good partially because we had the rpg slave that is Shaitan, we wont have him this time and if we are going to get someone/s to run the rpg could be very time consuming.

Basically hers how i could see the rpg running to begin with.
starting money of whatever
can buy land for prices and can then use this to get more money
story threads can gain extra money i.e. if its good
prizes for rpg'ers gain extra money

so far that can be it and see if that works well and then we can just build from there.

Looks like we've got plenty of interest, I'll start drafting up some rules and try to see if I can get it moving!

Strider said:
Looks like we've got plenty of interest, I'll start drafting up some rules and try to see if I can get it moving!

well we can use a fair portion of the DG2 ruleset, wont be tonnes to change from there, no need to create a new one from scratch.

BCLG100 said:
well we can use a fair portion of the DG2 ruleset, wont be tonnes to change from there, no need to create a new one from scratch.

Well, I plan on incorporating the merit/flaws and stats system from the story-based RPG.

Okay, here's the draft I just made up for the character creation process:

Character Creation:
Getting Started:
There are three general aspects in creating a character. The first one is the basic info, the second is choosing your stats, and the third is choosing your merits/flaws.

Step One:
To start off, you have to give give your character the following:

Name (we much prefer if you give your character a name similiar (or exactly the same) to your forum name)
*Biography/Physical Appearance

*Means it's an optional field.

Choosing your Stats:
Your stats are ranked from 4 to a maximum of 10 (all characters start off with a 2 in every stat.) When you create your character, you have 10 points to put into any mix of stats that you want. This is permanent and can not be changed. You will also not recieve any additional points to put in stats, so choose wisely. The stats are as follows:

Strength (STR)
Agility (AGI)
Intelligence (INT)
Wisdom (WIS)
Endurance (END)
Bravery (BRV)
Control (CTL)
Sense (SNS)
Stamina (STM)

Merits/Flaws
Merits/Flaws are a way to add some spice to your character. They also effect your stats. Merits/Flaws are completely optional, but for every merit you take.. you must take a flaw. You can take up to a maximum of 3 merits. The bonus to taking merits/flaws are that only by receiving stat bonus's through merits/flaws can you get over the maximum number of 10. You do not have to use the merit/flaws system. If you do choose some merits/flaws then you may get rewarded for playing your character by them. (IE: If you choose the merit Calm Heart, and the flaw Hard of hearing.. having your character "yell" in situtations that need silence may get you rewarded).

Warning: The merits/flaws system is complex, so if you want to just jump right in you can skip it. You will be allowed to come back and choose some after you've created your character.

Merits:
Photographic Memory (+ 1 INT)
Code of Honor (+1 BRV)
Common Sense (+1 WIS)
Concentration (+1 CTL)
Calm Heart (+1 CTL)
Self-Confident (+1 CTL)
Ambidextrous (+1 AGI)
Daredevil (+1 BRV)
Perfect Balance (+1 AGI)
Jack-Of-All-Trades (+1 INT)
True Love (+1 BRV)
Danger Sense (+1 SNS)
True Faith (+1 CTL)
Huge Size (+1 END)
Driving Goal (+1 BRV)
Double-jointed (+1 AGI)

Flaws:
Compulsion (-1 CTL)
Nightmares (-1 BRV)
Overconfident (-1 CTL)
Phobia (-1 CTL)
Low-self Image (-1 CTL)
Deranged (-1 WIS)
Hatred (-1 CTL)
Amnesia (-1 WIS)
Confused (-1 INT)
Weak-Willed (-1 BRV)
Absent-Minded (-1 WIS)
Hard of Hearing (-1 SNS)
Bad Sight (-1 SNS)
Uneducated (-1 INT)
Insane Past Life (-1 CTL)
Twisted Upbringing (-1 CTL)
Mute (-1 SNS)
Short (-1 STR)
Self Centered (-1 WIS)
Gullible (-1 WIS)
Simpleton (-1 INT)
Short Fuse (-1 CTL)
Curiosity (-1 SNS)
Color Blindness (-1 SNS)
Inept (-1 INT)

-------

Your now done creating your character!

Now, I would like to expand on the merit/flaw system a hell of alot more than this. I would like to have literally hundreds of them. That way no character is the same. Also, the merit/flaw system is a perfect way to award virtue points. If someone is actually playing their character by the merit/flaws they choose (and not just choosing them for the stat bonus's) then we can give you virtue points.

maybe an explanation of what each thing is for the main 'skills' also endurance and stamina is a bit too similar for my liking.

Nice draft, Like the merit flaws sytem, but more need to be added( I know your going too, just commenting)

I agree thats the skills need a bit of explaining,

And

What happens if you stats go below zero, like a take two strenght minusing flaws, and i have only 2 strength to begin with

Swissempire said:
Nice draft, Like the merit flaws sytem, but more need to be added( I know your going too, just commenting)

I agree thats the skills need a bit of explaining,

And

What happens if you stats go below zero, like a take two strenght minusing flaws, and i have only 2 strength to begin with

Basically, the stats will be rolled based on that numner (IE: If you have a STR of 6... and are in a "contest of strength" that basically means you get a random number between 1-6. If the person your fighting has a STR of 4.. then they get a random number of 1-4. So yes, you can roll a 2... and they can roll a 4.. and you would lose.. even though you do have the higher STR bonus).

To answer your question, if you have a 1 or 0 inside of a stat, there is just no possibility of winning any competition.

To explain the differance between Stamina and Endurance, basically Stamina is your physical condition, and endurance is your pain tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom