Starting Bias

Underdog Ally

Chieftain
I can’t seem to find any information on this other than Civ5 and 6. Does anyone know if there is a geographical starting bias for any civilizations in Civ4 ? I remember to start by tundra often when I play as Russia. I have no idea if this is a coincidence, or if and what other starting biases may be for other civilizations.

Not to my knowledge, though if there is I don't think it's enough of a bias to meaningfully influence your starting position over factors like map type and climate. I've personally rolled a lot of maps as Cathy, and temperate Inland Sea maps give me something like a 2:1 ratio of floodplains galore to visible tundra starts.

Seems to me there is some kind of bias ..at least for standard maps. However, I don't know the code behind any of this and it doesn't always seem standard. For some reason, every time I roll the Greeks they start near tundra. Maybe it has more to do with starting techs that civilization or leader.

Agree with lymond. If one starts with Hunting, they may start near Hunting resources? Which are ofc mainly generated in cold regions. Although I'm interested to know more if this has substance to it.

AFAIK there's no starting bias in Civ4. Difficulty level should influence it, nothing else.

I always seem to spawn Montezuma in the jungle. I don't know why, maybe it's the colour.
There used to be an excellent guide on this topic. Colour analysis of the different civilizations and why Hammurabi should have been green (not purple ! green best civs) and why obv Catherine is the worst backstabber and Ragnar is blue ... but I can't remember where it is :dunno: :help:

I can’t seem to find any information on this other than Civ5 and 6. Does anyone know if there is a geographical starting bias for any civilizations in Civ4 ? I remember to start by tundra often when I play as Russia. I have no idea if this is a coincidence, or if and what other starting biases may be for other civilizations.

As far as I know, every player/AI big capital city (big fat cross) starts with 3 hills (minimum) and a food resource.

None of the civs get anything special though.
Russia is just as likely as Aztecs to get jungle or tundra.

Some map types DO have a geographical starting bias depending on where in the order the civ is placed in the game creation window.
Oasis is a big offender.
The human player and odd number civs start in the south (#3, #5, #7 etc.)
Even number civs start in the north. (#2, #4, #6)
There are other map types that also have a semi-random bias, but only Civ 4 Hall of Fame people really care.

Top Bottom