1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Emperor on island

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by jamison170, Aug 5, 2009.

1. jamison170

jamison170 Chieftain

I am trying to beat emperor for the first time. Am I correct that it is much harder (for someone just learning Emperor) to win when starting on an island? I have done it twice now and by the time I discover another civ they are way ahead of me tech-wise. I can't keep up. The only way I can is if I push for alphabet but that doesn't do me any good if I'm on an island.

Thanks

2. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

Yes it is harder. This is simply because you do not have any trading partners. What is also difficult is if you are on an island with someone like shaka, monty or ragnar (or even worse....tokugawa), and the AI has another continent consisting of mansa musa, asoka and pacal. You will constantly be at war, especially if there are lots of them, and the peacful tech hungry AI's will sail off in to the distance. If you are on an island on ure own it is possible to keep up. But you need to think a bit more long term. You dont need alphabet at all really until you meet another civ, and by then you will almost certainly be able to just trade for it. Id bee line optics as soon as you have grabbed code of laws, get some caravels out and start exploring. You should find at least one AI who is way behind on tech the same as you (sitting bull is always miles behind). The AI can also be quite generous if you way behind on tech. But by the stage you will be at there should be someone who you can trade with. Then its simply a case of slowly but surely catching up (you should be able to do this quite easily as il bet anything that at least some, but possibly all of the AI's wont have optics by the time you do). You can focus all your research on infrastructure and build it all whilst neglecting your military somewhat. Its doubtful any one would declare because they would have a job getting to you.

The games I win on emperor consist of a good mix of aggressive leaders and tech whores. that way you can bribe the war mongerers to declare, slowing others down, whilst you can pick one of the tech whores and have him\her as a trading buddy. just watch out for a late game superpower who has vassalized loads of your opponents. cause they can be very dangerous (ive been wiped out a few times by izzy like this).

3. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

I actually find games on islands to be easier, because all the civs and isolated and can't trade with each other. You're usually the first to discover optics so you can make contact with other civilizations earlier.

4. foobarred

foobarred Monarch

I also find island starts easier. Chop the Great Lighthouse, and perhaps Pyramids if you can. Beeline to Literature to grab National Epic, then go straight to CoL and Philosophy to get Pacifism and Caste.

Run Pacifism, Caste and Representation (if you have it), and go straight to Astronomy. If you want, you can grab Liberalism to get Astro for free.

Make sure you contact other civs after you get Optics and you'll be way ahead. At this point I either go to Economics, or Communism and go for a domination victory.

Of course, your experience may vary. If you don't have a lot of food resources, then you may have to adjust your strategy, but the GLH makes things a lot easier.

5. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

@jamison170:

I recommend you to check out the Lonely Hearts Club series. It's a series of open games where you always start isolated. It's really interesting to see how each player decides to deal with the isolation. There is also a very nice strategy article about starting alone in an island / continent. It's called You, Yourself and Your Shadow and it was written by r_rolo1, who also hosts the LHC.

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Lonely hearts club series, as IT points out, is a very excellent series for learning to play from isolation. After playing in that series for a while I could handle isolation at the same difficulty as any other start, although my win dates are usually a little later on average. Generally diplo and mid-late game trades become *really* important. You usually have enough land for a tech spree or at least enough to mount an invasion on a weaker AI.

My 2nd youtube video series plays out such a start on emperor and was an easy win due to the map being somewhat easy (I should have played it at immortal but didn't have the confidence at the time to do that for youtube).

7. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

An isolated start tends to exacerbate the economic difficulties that differentiate Emperor from Monarch. I don't think it's harder per se, but it's harder if you're just making the adjustment. A number of good suggestions have been posted already (the Great Lighthouse, especially, is critically important). I'll add one more... as soon as you realize you're on an island, fog-busting should become critically important. Build 10 warriors and they'll last for thousands of years sitting on hilltops, keeping barbs away until you're ready to settle. Build another settler and worker and you may be giving barbs an opportunity to settle and demand a military investment you can't afford. Ideally, leave one little corner of your island dark to allow barbs to spawn and die against a Woodsman warrior who can eventually rack up enough XP to qualify you for Heroic Epic.

8. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Can only get 10 XP max from barbarians.

Unless tht is level 4, I dont know.

9. cleverhandle

cleverhandle King

Yeah... which is Level 4, qualifying you for Heroic Epic.