1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

starting first war for domination using infantry

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by christopher1234, Apr 28, 2012.

1. christopher1234

christopher1234 Warlord

why settle on the silk,does it give +1food

2. Jester Fool

Jester Fool Emperor

I played the 4000BC save a bit. First time thru I killed barbs, more barbs and lots more barbs. :lol: Got 6 cities ~1000BC but didn't get the iron early enough. SIP on the hill.

2nd time thru barbs were worse but did get the iron site early. Spent more time building defenses against barbs than settlers so only had 4 cities when Cathy dow'd ~500 BC. Held off the initial attack but Cathy won't accept peace so game lost (too far behind in expansion). SIP on the hill.

Probably had bad luck but there is a lot of land to spawnbust. I had good coverage but from what I can tell (normally play normal speed), barbs are more of a pita on epic. Settling on anything but the hill probably just stupid. This was the first time I've ever gotten a hill 3 archer just by barbs alone (barring raging barbs). :lol:

If you cottage the river side silk you can get really good commerce early. Tech shouldn't be a problem.

3. vranasm

vranasm Deity

2f1h2C city tile. unlocks the GH east from cap and the GH you settle on.

barbs are big issue on this map, had to tech Archery to fight them.

4. christopher1234

christopher1234 Warlord

Gh what does that mean?

5. christopher1234

christopher1234 Warlord

you should first build a worker and chop 3 archers.at least that worked for me.

about the game speeds i,ve tried normal speed and the game just aint the same.

6. vranasm

vranasm Deity

grassland hill with 1F 3H it's better then PH 0F 4H. the hill you stand on is 1F 3H 1C which is pretty good tile with 5-yield.

7. christopher1234

christopher1234 Warlord

any thoughts from here? hows it looking?

Attached Files:

8. Jester Fool

Jester Fool Emperor

I had ~8 archers by this time (most spawnbusting future city sites) and still got overrun by barbs. I guess I did just have bad luck.

You are losing 1 commerce due to rounding. In the early game you have to binary research. Save gold (0% research) until you can run 100% research (to finish a tech completely). Makes a big difference early game (still useful later on as well).

Cottage the riverside silk as well. The silk already provides 2 commerce. Later (after you have calender) you have the non-riverside silk to improve and trade to the AIs. Since you built on a silk, you will already have a copy for yourself.

9. barbertje

barbertje Prince

Why are your archers and even your scout sitting in your cities? Archery is needed here, because horse/copper is too far away, but it's better to use post them a bit outside your borders, to prevent spawning, and to keep the barbhttp://forums.civfanatics.com/images/editor/attach.gifs from pillaging.
    It's also important to get them into place early, even if that means using warriors.

I went worker - 3x warrior - settler (size 3) - worker - 2 archers - another worker (size 4) - settler.

teching was agriculture - bronzeworking - ah - archery - wheel - mysticism.

The second city will work a cow and 2 gold mines, leaving the capital focused on
    production. The 3rd settler will settle the pig/horse to the southeast.

View attachment AutoSave_BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave

10. christopher1234

christopher1234 Warlord

please post some screen shots.my version of bts cannot open your save,because you probably have extras downloaded on your version.which i do not have,for example bat mod e.t.c.

11. barbertje

barbertje Prince

I'm not using any mods.

I have so far produced 3 workers, 3 warriors, 3 archers and a monument.

ATTACH]320301[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

12. Core Imposter

Core Imposter Deity

What is this business about the AI getting more bonus later than earlier and how is that so?

13. Jester Fool

Jester Fool Emperor

For Immortal...
    This is found in the Handicap XML. Roughly it means that once an AI moves to the next era (e.g. from ancient to classical) their bonuses increase by 4% (iirc).