1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting in a Golden Age?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by MartinLuther, Feb 17, 2019.

1. MartinLuther

MartinLuther look at this kawaii anime boy i found :)

I remember in the Age of Discovery conquest, Portugal starts in a Golden Age but I can't figure out how. My memory tells me it's in the Scenario Properties but I've looked through every tab and can't seem to find the check that allows you to start in Golden Age? Was it triggered by a pre-placed wonder? Is it because I'm using the Steam version? What gives?

2. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Yeah, it's a pre-placed wonder that fulfills their civ trait requirements.

3. MartinLuther

Well that's a pain in the butt. What I was trying to do is buff the Expansionist trait by making them also start in a Golden Age. Perhaps I could change the scout to a special unit whose only purpose is to trigger a golden age. :think:

4. AnthonyBoscia

AnthonyBoscia Emperor

Yeah, the scout would definitely work. If you had an expansionist tech and wonder the effects would be limited to one civ, unless every expansionist civ got its own unique wonder, which would be a pain.

5. MartinLuther

I was considering all Expansionist civs can build the same small wonder that triggers a golden age (unless you can't do that with a small wonder)

6. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

SWs cannot trigger a golden age and I think at least in epic games to give a civ a golden age at the start is a big disadvantage for that civ in the game, as the benefit of the GA is spoiled and gone for a very underdeveloped civ with only one or two cities and a government (Despotism) that has a standard tile penalty. In that case I think it is much better to give those civs better scouts. For example in RAR/RARR the expansionistic civs receive a ranger unit with a better defense instead of normal scouts.

Things are very different in scenarios with many preplaced cities and infrastructure on the map. We used a GA-start for Germany in the WWII scenario "SOE" to achieve exactly the effect this early boost should have and it works great.

7. MartinLuther

Oh thanks, I will take this into consideration.