1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Locations

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Elz Majesto, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Elz Majesto

Elz Majesto Warlord

Grrrr...What's the deal with giving us a massive planet, but you start off 3 Factions within 30 tiles of each other (with 2 Factions 10 tiles away), but there is like literally 3-4 unsettled/unclaimed middle-large sized landmasses with awesome resources.

2. dac050

dac050 Warlord

My favorite was when my 2nd Colonist was 3 tiles away from a most awesome settling location, and an AI descended right where I was headed.

3. Esperr

Esperr King

Im starting to think its intentional, as sometimes I play on massive just to do a peaceful sprawl, and the game aaaaaaalways plants one or two factions within small sized map distance of me. Its very frustrating.

My solution is to turn of staggered, and then see where the A.I lands and restart if there to close.

4. Creamy Goodness

Creamy Goodness Chieftain

You provoked me into registering just to add my frustration with this particular feature. :lol:

I ONLY play on the largest map sizes no matter what Civ game I'm playing, and hell yes this is driving me up the effing WALL. Having to restart many times for every game I want to play because even on MASSIVE map size, with only 5 (!) opposing :)mischief:) AI's in a vain effort to ensure I'll have space to breathe at the start, the RNG insists on plopping down a rival civ (or TWO) within 10-15 hexes of my capital 9 times out of 10. Meanwhile, other landmasses are later found to be empty. WTF, seriously? :mad:

5. Creamy Goodness

Same here. Usually I have to start about 5 games or so before I'll luck out and get a start where I can actually build more than two cities before being squeezed by a couple of rivals. Again, this is on massive map size with 5 or 6 opposing :)mischief:) AI's.

6. Elz Majesto

Elz Majesto Warlord

lol glad to have that effect, and welcome to CivFanatics!
    Also sad to see that even with lowering the amount of starting factions, the script still plops them down near you.

I am relieved to see I am not the only one experiencing this issue. Personally, I just like to role play the massive maps and just specialized certain regions (all biowells/generators, or sensor arrays and nodes on the outskirts) but the map script seriously pisses me off some times, because I end up taking the prime real estate areas and the AI doesn't start expanding aggressively sometimes until mid game.

Also- What is a "staggered" start, and how and why turning them off/on would help out?

Thanks!

7. Esperr

Esperr King

Staggered start is the default setting where you land turn 0 an the A/Is land randomly up to turn 50. Turning it off means you all start turn 0 so you can see where the A.Is are and choose to restart.

Just had my mind blown today, massive map, I start, settle my cap, and hutama lands thirteen tiles away and then on turn 2 gets mad at me for "settling on lands he believes to be his. From my capitol. WTF.

8. Elz Majesto

Elz Majesto Warlord

Wow that is a first, maybe this should be merged in with the Bugs sub forum, because that is def a buggish behavior

9. Esperr

Esperr King

Turn 3 he and the ARC both already had the "they covet the lands you own" modifier.

10. vandyr

vandyr Prince

I have this same problem...on standard map, 1/2 to 3/4 of the map will be completely empty, with all civs packed into one area...even tried playing on Archipelago and had guys landing on the same island as me.

11. Haggbart

Haggbart King

I have never experienced anything similar to what is described in any of my games. Usually a quite good spread over the map.

Just to give the thread a bit balance so it doesn't look like 100% of players experience this :D

12. MechMedic130

MechMedic130 Warlord

I agree, even if I'm planning on playing a domination game I still like a little breathing room. In my current game I saw ARC settled a little north of me and I was like "eh, okay that's not too bad" then Franco-Iberia settled BETWEEN us. WHY???

13. m15a

m15a Emperor

I don't think that part is necessarily a bug. If you are nearby, they likely do want your land.

14. Creamy Goodness

Hehe, thanks. I've been lurking in the darkest corner, head down, hands planted firmly within my trenchcoat pockets on this site since around 2001 during the lead-up to the release of Civ III. :D

The code for this game seems to be intentionally written to plop civs down in bunches, because even in the 20% or so of games where I get an acceptable start, I see the other capitals are bunched together in groups of 2's and 3's, all within about 10 hexes of each other.

15. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

Well, you are mad at him for the same thing, right? Seems fair for both of you to be mad. Either make friends with him or prepare for war. I like the second option myself.

16. Kaigen

Kaigen Warlord

There's probably a bit of intended clustering for the sake of trade routes. If your capital is not coastal and the other sponsors are a long ways away, it could be quite a long time before you are able to make use of your trading capacity. Sure there's stations, but half of those are unappealing trade partners, and they have the same problem of taking up valuable real estate. ;)

Random tangent: once I set up a game at marathon speed on a Massive Mu Arae (large continents) with only one other sponsor in the game so I could stretch my legs and expand like crazy. The map generated two big continents and put me on one and Barre on the other. About the time I plopped down my third or fourth city, Barre complained to me that I was settling on "his" lands.

17. r0ck

r0ck Chieftain

little is worse than moving carefully your colony and right about the turn you are going to plop an outpost, PLOP, along comes the temple of the lights dawn, IN / RIGHT BESIDE the spot you wanted....

" which station would you like to sponsor" " how about none and send them to meet the shai-hulud?

18. Vyrm

Vyrm Chieftain

No definitely needs to be an option. It's rare the station quest doesn't hose my 3rd city drop.

19. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

:lol::goodjob:

20. ohmydayum

ohmydayum Chieftain

Spam military units and keep the pressure on him/her until you get missile rovers then start taking cities.:king: