Starting Position Bias

Atzar

Chieftain
Cutting straight to the chase, I think the 'biased' starting positions either don't work well or don't work at all. Before somebody asks, no, I don't have the bias turned off.

I've started ~15 games on various map types of various sizes as the Aztecs. They're supposed to start in or near the jungle, and not once has it actually worked out that way - in fact, I've been more likely to start in the tundra.

At that point, I got curious and dug up the XML file that lists where various Civs are supposed to start. The Russians should land in the tundra, and the Indians in grassland. I tried a game as each. The Russians were reasonably close - tundra was perhaps eight hexes away to the north; the Indians started in a swamp next to a forest.

Has anybody else noticed this? I think I've played enough starts at this point to rule random coincidence out, but if anybody has had either similar or contrary results then I'd love to know. It's not really a big deal - I'll either live with the spots I get or turn the bias off entirely in the meantime - but I do hope this gets patched relatively soon.

The times I've tried the Aztecs they've started near some jungle tiles, and for the Iroquois I've started in a forest.

Starting bias is working fine for me, thus far.

EDIT: Additional thought: it may rely on the mapscript chosen, somehow.

Top Bottom