Starting Position Influenced by Techs?

omglazers

Warlord
Does anyone else feel like their starting position is somewhat influenced by their techs? I find that when I pick a Civ with Fishing in BTS, I almost ALWAYS regenerate onto coasts [and I /hate/ coasts and water nonsense sometimes].

Other ones like Germans always seem to end up smack dab in the middle of things!

I just ask because it makes me so angry that I have to regen a billion times over with the Greeks to NOT be on the coast. :mad:

Enter Word builder, place yourself wherever you want, resist the temptation to put additional resources neraby, save map, exit game, start custom game and select your map with locked modified assets and voila, youre good to go ;)

Another new and exciting "The Random Generator Cheats On Me" - conspiracy :goodjob:

What she ^^ said. Also Archipelago Map is guaraneed to give a coastal start.

No need to go world builder and ruin the map, just hit "regenerate map" in the menu.

The starting position is influenced by civilizations. So, in a way, by techs.

Indeed, civs with fishing start more often near water. Also, the mongolians often start with marble near them, and I'm sure there's also a love of the egyptians for stone.

Does anyone else feel like their starting position is somewhat influenced by their techs? I find that when I pick a Civ with Fishing in BTS, I almost ALWAYS regenerate onto coasts [and I /hate/ coasts and water nonsense sometimes].

I don't find that at all. Quite often I'll find myself on the coast even though I don't have Fishing, or land-locked if I do.

Indeed, civs with fishing start more often near water. Also, the mongolians often start with marble near them, and I'm sure there's also a love of the egyptians for stone.

Is this confirmed?

I feel like its the opposite, honestly, and that doesn't make sense.

Really, your starting position SHOULD be influenced by what Civilization you are.

It doesn't make sense if you are Carthage and start with Fishing and Mining but end up starting in flatlands in the middle of a continent. How would your people even develop that knowledge then?

Weighting where your start position is definitely SHOULD be based off what Civ you are.

No, but i think that initial research is influenced by your starting position :)

Personally, i'd prefer if there was NO starting techs for ANYONE!

Being able to chose my own path up would be much nicer.

Is this confirmed.

As far as i know it is not the case.
Unless using a custom Script that adds that feature...

Top Bottom