1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Position Question

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Praetorian21, May 25, 2012.

1. Praetorian21

Praetorian21 Chieftain

Hey there,

I am playing with HC and I just started the game. My capital has one rice resource and three clam resources. I do not know what to build in my capital. Normally with so many sea resources I would build a fishing boat but the Incans do not start with Fishing. So what should I do. Should I build a worker and then some fishing boats? Or should I first let my city grow, research fishing, and then build a work boat?

Thanks

Cheers

2. michmbk

michmbk Emperor

Hard to know exactly what to do without a screenshot. From what you've described, I'd probably build a worker for the rice while teching fishing, but clams aren't great foodwise anyway (4 food, same as a farmed FP), so if you have an FP or two, you may not have to worry about fishing right away.

3. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

yeah but HC should also get 3 gold from the clams. Post an image for more informed advice.

4. Praetorian21

Praetorian21 Chieftain

Yeah a screen is propably better. Thus, hereby the screen

Attached Files:

5. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

Dry rice is not as good as clams.

I would let the city grow while building the UU while learning Fishing. Then when fihing is in, switch to WB and use all available hammers. Use the 3 hammer FPH even if that mean no city growth. Once the WB is done finish UU working the clam and start another WB. Tech to BW and time to get your worker out just before BW is learned.

You will likely have a strat resource south of capital.

6. Riflin'Joe

Riflin'Joe Prince

OK, I'll be the sucker who asks: Why is your capital called Amsterdam?

7. klonoklown

klonoklown Civ Junky

Haha, right, was willem on the mind?

8. Um the Muse

Um the Muse King

Coastal starts are always a little tricky to get perfect. I certainly don't know what the optimum path is, but I thought I'd suggest two other ways forward:

1. Go fishing first, building a worker. As soon as you get fishing, move your citizen to fish for clams and switch production to workboat. That will let you get BW quickly, which will be very important for this city. Your worker will be used for chopping when it comes out. The chops should go toward building new settlers and workers. After a chop, see if you can whip two population.

2. Worker first. The worker can build a mine on the grassland hill even without BW, but only if you research mining (or get it from a goody hut). Tech path: mining, fishing, BW. Grassland hill mines are stronger than whipping, so this strat maybe stronger than the first, but it's probably a little slower.

9. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Coastal starts sometimes call for less normal builds. It depends on starting techs and land resources. I forget INcan starting techs, but in this case I would start with Quecha to grow until fishing arrives. Start a WB, but grow to size 2 and then switch both citizens to highest hammer count without starving. Start 2nd WB. Meanwhile, tech to BW, switch to slavery and whip a worker.

10. Praetorian21

Praetorian21 Chieftain

Good question. I just got bored of all the fixed city names . Therefore, I just name my cities after cities I would want to visit sometimes.

11. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

My suggestion for this start.

Build: worker, work boat, quecha, worker, work boat, quecha, settler, quecha, work boat, worker.

Research: Fishing, Mining, Bronze Working, Animal Husbandry, The Wheel, Pottery, Writing.
    Avoid researching or trading Hunting, or you will lose the ability to build your quechas.

This, unless you find an AI close to you and decide to Quecha Rush them. In which case, don't waste time on so many work boats and settlers, and just build lots of quechas (at least 7).

12. coanda

coanda Emperor

A much cooler explanation would have been "I used my starting Quecha to take out Willem then deleted my starting settler."