Starting techs when starting position has no resources

sylvanllewelyn

Perma-newb
I randomly loaded this map:

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Settle in place see what happens

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Actual no resources. What would be the first few techs to get?

For the sake of trying, I got bronze working and animal husbandry. Still actual no resources in starting position. I thought I was in debug mode or something.

This is not a standard mapscript. You always get a food resource with the default scripts.

In that special case, probably best not to bother with worker first. Just work the plains hill forest for 5H and produce Quechuas at size 1.
Conquer one or two AI and their workers (assuming this is a difficulty level where AI start with Archers).

In general, most mapscripts have a start normalizer that makes sure you get a food resource. It also replaces BFC jungle with forest etc.
The rules of the start normalizer are outlined in this thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cause-of-bts-all-forest-one-resource-starts.252429/

However, I never found the info, which mapscripts apply that start normalizer and which do not.
90% of the maps I play are Fractal and Big&Small. Those definitely are normalized. But on other mapscripts I've seen resourceless starts as well (pretty sure once on Oasis). And I only ever used the mapscripts that came with the original game.

This is not a standard mapscript. You always get a food resource with the default scripts.

Continents.
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

It's like when I call tech support or deal with the IT department of my company. They always insist it never happened because it could not.

In that special case, probably best not to bother with worker first. Just work the plains hill forest for 5H and produce Quechuas at size 1.

I won as Incas before but not by way of quechua rush, which I can never succeed with. So I start producing at size 1 instead of waiting? I can try that. Looks like I've been doing it wrong...

That 'no food source' in the settings is not standard. I don't know how to replicate it.

What resources do you get in a standard map script?

I believe everybody is guaranteed at least one food source. What about luxuries or strategic resources?

That 'no food source' in the settings is not standard. I don't know how to replicate it.

I just changed my player name to "No food source" to curse my fortune. It is not a setting.

I knew nobody would believe me... **sob**... it's OK, Shaka of the Zulu put me out of my misery with 16 cities by BC500 anyway (the next biggest AI had 7 cities).

What resources do you get in a standard map script?

I believe everybody is guaranteed at least one food source. What about luxuries or strategic resources?

What You See Is What You Get. I always had at least one visible food source. I put this because I had never seen this, and thus don't know how to handle it, that's all.

I just changed my player name to "No food source" to curse my fortune. It is not a setting.
:lol: well that explains why I couldn't replicate it.
I have never seen a standard start with no food. And I regenerate a lot of maps.

I've likewise never seen a start with no BFC food, at least on standard map scripts, let stand a start with no visible resources at all. My best guess is that the Settler was placed on a tile with a (hidden) resource on it and was moved away from the only nearby resource tile. I don't suppose the tile the Quechua is on has a resource on it and something like Cow or Sheep 2S of it?

In the millions of starts of rolled in my life I've seen plenty of really bad ones but never literally no food source on a standard map script...never....even just a tundra hill deer. Seen it plenty of times on maps like Oasis and Great Plains.

Top Bottom