1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Units, the Docks, and Unique Units: Possible Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Creation & Customization' started by jaldaen, Oct 27, 2008.

1. jaldaen

jaldaen Prince

I was just about to go to bed last night when an idea for a mod hit me... would people be interested in a larger starting fleet for each Civ with more units representing their historical tendencies?

For example:

The French might have the following starting units:
    Hardy Pioneer
    Fur Trapper Colonist
    Jesuit Missionary
    Free Colonist Soldier
    And something else yet to be determined...

And the Spanish might have:

Free Colonist Pioneer
    Silver Miner Colonist
    Jesuit Missionary
    Veteran Soldier
    Cannon

These starting units would be there to enhance the historical feel of each game. However, they would require each civilization to start with two or three ships.

If more starting ships would be bad a bad idea then is there a way for some of these units to start on the dock in Europe?

Alternatively, is there a way to influence the likelihood of certain units appearing at the dock for a particular civilization?

I'm not a coder, but if someone knows how this might be done I might be able to work it out with some help.

Thanks,
    Joseph

P.S.: Would people be interested in one unique unit for each Civilization? I'm mulling this over and I figure if I'm messing with the starting units I might as well think about unique ones as well... also if you have any ideas for them let me know ;)

2. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

While I hear what you're saying, the problem with more civ-specific starting fleets is that it will make the starting location too critical. If you're the French and you can't find furs right away, you'll be in bad shape. But if you find a site with Furs, you'll be golden. Same is true with the Spanish.

Purchasing costs based on traits might be better IMO... so French might be able to get fur traders cheaper in Europe.

3. jaldaen

jaldaen Prince

Yeah that was one of my worries as well...

Although have you noticed fur trappers, sugar planters, and cotton planters (to a lesser degree) are rare if not impossible to get on most maps? My maps tend to have an over abundance of expert tobacco planters, farmers, and fishermen, but none of the above. I really do wish there was a minimum of one indian settlement on each map that taught the expert skills.

Hmmm... that's an interesting idea. Any idea how that might be done? Also do you know how you might go about adding some of the other units to the purchase list? I like training with the natives, but all too often they don't have the skills I need and it would be nice to purchase them.

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts. ;)

4. Dom Pedro II

Dom Pedro II Modder For Life

The modifiers will require SDK work. As for adding other stuff to the purchase list, if you go into the XML, in the CIV4UnitInfos.xml, change the EuropeCost from -1 to whatever you want them to cost.

5. jaldaen

jaldaen Prince

SDK... I'll have to leave that up to the experts... I'm definately not a software developer ;)

If any experts want to try there hands at Civilization specific purchasing prices/immigration rates, then feel free to let me know.

As for the Europe cost thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll look into it. ;)

6. SerriaFox

SerriaFox King

what map script are you using?

FaireWeather.py seem to make map with a much better variety of resources

7. jaldaen

jaldaen Prince

I use the vanilla and FaireWeather.py... as you said FaireWeather is a bit better, although that might because there are usually more native villages on the map than in vanilla (and therefore more chance of the sugar planter, trapper, etc... coming up).

Btw... anyone know why fur trader is something the indians teach? Did the indians actually make coats that Europeans would wear?

8. Bisonte

Bisonte Chieftain

I think its a little "Lazy Bug" of the Programming Team...

In Col1 there no Fur Traders to teach... but Lumber Jacks.... and in Col2 ? where are the teaching villages for a Lumber jack ?

I made some "unique" :

example:

the Dutch : a Caravel thats Movement Points +1 (Fluyt of AODII Model but only 2 Cargo Space) - cause Dutch are traders...
    the Spain : Conquestador... (A Veteran : Strength +1 )
    the English : another Privateer (there many known english Pirates at this time)
    the French: a hardy Pioneer with workrate +50%
    the portuguese : the carack (from AODII with 3 cargo space)

i don't know how i change in xml the profession things... so like dragooner or something like that... Cause i want to make the Conquestador only as dragooner ....)

9. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

The Portuguese Carrack should have 5 movement but only 2 cargo, while the Dutch Flyut should have 4 Movement w/ 3 cargo. Giving the Conquistador an extra strength would be overpowering unless it was a special unit that could only be purchaced from Europe.

10. Bisonte

Bisonte Chieftain

but the dutch having faster trading ships (historical).
    the carrack is not so fast. cause its a little bit bigger than a Fluyt (how i translate "Tiefgang" ?)

The Conquestador ... i want to make the Dragoon a little bit better, but i don't know how I can realize it. Cause every colonist can be a dragoon, not only veterans). thats my little problem. and in my mod you can train the veteran at university.... Maybe movement +1 or free promotion 50% strength... and Indians hate them more... ;)

11. jaldaen

jaldaen Prince

From my understanding carracks had about 1000 tons of cargo space compared to 250 tons for the caravel... so if we assume each slot on the caravel is worth 250 tons, then the carrack should have 4 slots.

As for speed I'm still figuring out which ship was faster than which and by what rate... some where better able to manuever in coastal areas, like the caravel, and others were much faster on the open ocean with the wind at their back.