1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting wars?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by #1 Person, Dec 12, 2003.

?

Why do you start a war? (most of the time)

1. To get land

25 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. To get resorces

25 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. To win by conquest

7 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. Most of the time the computer attacks you first

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. The fun of it

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

:eek: I would have picked a conqueror with less emotional association than Hitler, like, oh I don't know, Alexander.

2. Daarkseid

Daarkseid Warlord

Alexander actually encouraged integration of the people he conquerred, rather than the eradication of conquerred people for the purpose of gaining living space for his own people.

In CivIII, I tend to be more like Hitler in that I will usually starve, enslave, and kill(through forced labor) the native populations of the cities I capture, in order to make their transition to my native culture much smoother.

3. ShADoW^HawK

ShADoW^HawK The Shanksta Ganksta

I'm sorry NeonInfusion. You're not like Hitler. Daarkseid is. He said so himself.

NeonInfusion is probably more like Caesar except with a lot of added in pollution. This makes me assume that you like lots of nukes and ICBMs...... Ah, ICBMs.......*goes into dreamy state*

4. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

In that case, I am an Alexander-like conqueror. I prefer to assimilate the peoples I conquer and just let them switch to my nationality naturally. I want to rule the masses, not destroy them. :cool:

5. ShADoW^HawK

ShADoW^HawK The Shanksta Ganksta

Same here. Although when a country declares war on me, I always see them to the death, unless they make a VERY VERY intresting proposal for peace (like 50gpt + 3+ cities). After those 20 turns, I kill them.

I am a warmonger, but I hate the nation, not the people.

6. Siegmund

Siegmund King

No-one has said much about one of the big reasons I will go to war: to generally to get a leader, or more specifically to get a forbidden palace.

I just can't stomach waiting 100 turns for an FP to be built in a region where I want it - so I will accumulate my barb-promoted elites and fight until I run out of elite units or I get my leader, whichever comes first, then stabilize my borders and settle back into peaceful mode.

The few games I have played a conquering style, it was because I couldn't get the !@#$% leader I wanted until I had blasted three or four civs out of the water to get it.

7. Stop Killing Me

Stop Killing Me Chieftain

Like shadow I like seeing a war through right until the end saying that though I rarly ever start a war. Im normaly end up in a defencive war at arround 1000BC- 400 AD and once the AI has declared the war it doesn't stop until their totaly anihalated or they do the same to me. Can't have those AI bully us into giving them resorces now can we :ninja: Needless to say this normaly totaly cripples my economy but its great fun slogging it out even when the odds are against you :yeah:

Likewise with mutual protection packs even if the person who was initialy in the war with me backs out I don't stop fighting till its over. Basicaly I normaly fight a medieval defencive war which lasts 500-1000 years. Spend years recovering the economy eventualy get back into the tech race and start a war at 1900 with the biggest superpower going just for fun :)

8. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

Combination of "to win by conquest" and "for fun". :evil:

9. rilnator

rilnator Emperor

To weaken the enemy and to enhance my own power.

10. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

My whole game is a war! I like to sweep the land like the mongol hordes:mad:

OK, it isn't always that bad but normally I get provoced, and when first my war-machinery is going - why not take over the rest of the world :king:

11. Fanny Brice

Fanny Brice Prince

Resources.

Iron and Oil in particular.

Unless I'm going for a domination victory, more land is not necessarily a good thing.

I will continue a war to weaken an opponent... take his luxuries and resources... or smash his capital. I will also continue to leave myself with a defensible position... gain a choke points, mountain frontier, etc. Positioning for the "next war" is important.

I usually have about 2 or 3 major wars a game... if I can help it.

12. bru

bru Prince

I checked resorces but it is about 50 - 50 between resources and land!

13. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

All of the above. :satan:

While I'll attack to get resources and luxuries, I'm more focused on long-term defensible borders (ironic, given that I'm usually the one on the attack) and the best example is owning the whole continent so playing on a pangea map makes war pretty much necessary...

14. MajorFallout

MajorFallout Battalion-Command

Since I'm NOT a warmonger, in the first place, I only go to war when 3 things happen:
    1) Someone declares war on me.
    2) Some small nation starts putting settlements on my precious land, and especially on or near to my only resource.
    3) An AI civ really pisses me off. Often, I have a revenge game afterwards, so that I totally and completely wipe them off the face of the earth.

15. hawai_74

hawai_74 mac über alles

I go for war when i'm stuck in a too straight land, that's the main reason or when its Hammurabi (don't like this guy)

16. Mr. Cackle

Mr. Cackle Cacklin' since '95

Ancient Age:

1) Someone tries to threaten me and so I'm like "piss off" and they're all like "make me" so I just say "they had it coming" and you get the picture.

Middle Age:

1) Eradicate a civilization. I usually always have the resources I need and i don't want to worry about a land front (I usually play archipelago) so by eradicating them I can solidify my borders.

2) Land. By now the world is almost completely filled up, so i need to expand.

Industrial Age:

1) Keep them down. I have solidified my borders now and my primary aim is to keep them weak and thus technologically backward with my primary aim being to get sufficiently advanced that my Modern Armor (once i get them) will slice through their cities (in the industrial age I find that I take too many casualties)

2) Land expansion. Not very much, just capture a small island as a launching point for a larger attack, take their heavy industrial cities, etc.

Modern Age:
    1) Eradication. I want to destroy them utterly until I have no one left to worry about.

2) Resources. Occasionally I won't have uranium or aluminum/want to stop someone from getting said resources.

17. HamaticBabylon

HamaticBabylon Deity

I try to conquer my continent before I conquer the world... I don't like the Arabs they always seem to get in the way. I don't know how many times I’ve nuked Mecca.

18. Affirmative

Affirmative Man with a Mission

Favorite things

-early swordsman rushes
    -knight pushes
    -calvary ownage
    -tanks, yeah, well, they are tanks

:goodjob:

19. Chauliodus

Chauliodus Warlord

Followed by Stalin? Sure he killed tens of millions as opposed to Adolfs 10 or so, but damm man Hitlers Hitler!!! :rolleyes:

20. Goober

Goober Turning Right ...

I usually attack for a number of reasons,

1) Bored
    2) Win by Conquests
    3) Resources
    4) They have city-sites I want
    5) Reduce an over sized military (except in mulitplayer games against me)
    6) If a AI has been annoying me/Won't comply to me wishes