Starvation

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by wgene, Dec 23, 2012.

1. wgene

wgene Warlord

In one city i have Starvation and i have no tiles for food. What can i do to stop the starvation considering i have no food tiles in that city.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

How can you have no food tiles? Why did you found a city there?

3. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

If you founded a city in a spot with no food tiles, do not pass go, retire from game, start over. That's one of the first basics you learn in CiV- don't build a city in a place where it can't support itself.

Disclaimer: There may be rare situations, once you are much more experienced, when you might build a city in a place with little food for strategic reasons. You aren't there yet.

4. duckmanbro

duckmanbro Warlord

Where did you found the city?? CiV is probably the easiest game to gather some kind food production together, I thought, seeing that even on a barren piece of land the capital tile always has something to give...

Even in the middle of a desert, most of the time there are flood plains, oases, or something close enough by to help. Similar goes for tundra tiles.

5. Alchemind

Alchemind Warlord

You searched around, found a spot with no food tiles and you said, ... "You know, ... that sounds like a nice spot to settle ..."

Edit: Hahaha, omg, ... Okay, I make a challenge for you all: Read the entire OP's post out loud and try to smile or laugh. It took me about 3 times.

Moderator Action: We don't want to have such troll posts around. Please post in a more civil manner.

6. wgene

wgene Warlord

The found city isn't a problem and has plenty of food it is another city i am having problems with.

7. Browd

Another city? That you didn't found with a settler? Where did you get that city? Did you conquer someone else's city?

Would like to be helpful, but you need to provide more complete details. Screeenshots or a save file would help.

8. wgene

wgene Warlord

No i didn't conquer a city it was a city i had setup with a settler. I have about 15 cities.

9. Trik

Trik Chieftain

You make no sense but whatever. Start producing settlers from the city that is starving, that will stop you from losing pop. Then purchase/build food providing buildings like the granary, watermill or maritime cs's.

10. Browd

^ Agree.

But I'm still confused why you settled a city in a place with no food tiles. Were you trying to grab some scarce strategic resource? When founding a city, access to luxuries and strategics is good reason for founding a city, and defensibility of the city is important, but food is critical. Cities die wthout food. Never lose your focus on food.

11. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

The best spot for no food is right on the north/south edge of the map with ice and snow and most of your city hexes missing because they would be off the edge of the world. :D

12. Alchemind

Alchemind Warlord

You're all being trolled.

13. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

Yeah, when i fiund some lands there (and not just ice and water), i like founding a city in such place.
    Then, i gift it to my worst ennemy, i think you can guess what i do next :viking:

14. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Considering a city can't starve without having some food to grow in the first place, probably yes.

However, it's possible OP lost a maritime CS ally.

15. wgene

wgene Warlord

I wasn't able to resolve the issue so i started a new game.

16. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Why? That was uneccessary...

Could've just built the whole line of Food productionb buildings (Granary).

17. mdl5000

mdl5000 Prince

I would've liked to have seen a screenshot. This doesn't make much sense.

18. Denounced

Denounced Chieftain

I'm in a similar crisis. I conquered the CS Bucharest, then Germany liberated it. I took it again from Germany but strangely I only own the city tile. The rest of its borders still belong to Germany. The city starves, my unit was trapped so I deleted it and the Germans now occupy the borders as a forward operating base. Its very frustrating and I've never seen this happen before. Could it be because I'm playing on a mac and we haven't got the fall patch yet?

19. wgene

wgene Warlord

I had all those buildings.