1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

State Property or Corporations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by MarigoldRan, Jul 21, 2011.

?

SP or Corporations?

1. I use State Property More

36 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. I use Corporations More

15 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. I don't use either

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. I use both equally

11 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Given that the State Property vs. Corporations debate is at eight pages, we probably should take a poll: which do you prefer, SP or Corporations, neither or both?

2. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

3. Sir Penguinboy

Sir Penguinboy Chieftain

I use state property because it gets rid of the maintence costs from distance, this helps me a lot and usually frees me from economic problems the rest of the game, allowing nothing to hold me back from conquering people.

4. Nydaeli

Nydaeli Chieftain

I use State Property almost every time, because I'm too lazy to plan out my GPs far enough in advance to get non-Scientists out in a timely manner.

5. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

Depends on map size, resources, what kind of Great People show up, and what kind of trading partners I can get.

6. GGracchus

GGracchus Tribune of Rome

Since my games have a tendency to end up as industrial conquest, I've been using SP a lot.

7. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

I use Corporations More.
    It looks like I am in the minority here, but, I usually have a GE pop out mid game to use in the Mining Inc and I try to get Sids Sushi as soon as possible.
    I haven't looked into the statistics on it.
    I prefer to go with civics that permit many options, not exclude options.
    Someday, I'll get around to using SP. I read good things about it.

I would think alot would depend on your leader or Empire too.
    PHI leaders should think of Corps.
    When, playing as the HRE and having a Rathaus in every city, one might not notice the impact of City Maintenance that much. Same for Zulu or FIN leaders.

8. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Generally, if I generate a GM and a GE in the renaissance, I aim for Sushi and Mining Inc. If I don't, I aim for SP.

9. Lalabunny

Lalabunny Warlord

I find Corporation requires a very early pre-planning, in terms of GP requirement and Tech-Path. Thus if you set up your empire for a coporation, you will most likely be skipping Communism to get to your Coporation Tech.

Due to the civic you will have to choose between SP & FM but I don't really sense the tension there. Typically you will have access to FM first. At this point, you should already have an idea of which direction you want to take with your Empire. If you wanna go SP, your research will head toward Communism. If you are going Corp, you will skip Communism and heads towards your Corp Tech (Medicine, etc). Much like Rep and US, there is not much conflict there.

What I do find that is competing with State Property is Emancipation Cottages. Although these 2 civic can be run together, how are you going to set up your economy for mid/late game. Are you going to cottage or workshop/watermill those riverside/grasslands?

And I don't really get those who says "if I have a correct GP at that point, i will go Corp if not SP". Its sounds like you are not planning your GP generation to suits your need, which should never be the case. If you plan to go Corp, GP generation should be planned way before hand to time properly with the Corp Tech. You don't run Corp just because you somehow managed to unknowingly get the correct GP at the given time.

10. Keilah

Keilah King

I use neither, I try to end the game by rifling at the latest :p

11. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Emperor

Tend towards SP because it is earlier. It is also possible to fail a bid for a corporation if you are playing at your difficulty.

12. Knightly_

Knightly_ Warlord

Corporations can give you an immense return of investment in some circumstances. I usually dont go for Sid because i dont play that many archipelago maps. Usually corps means for me minig inc or not mining inc. Gambling for a GE is too much of a risk but i also use to pop a GE from time to time in the mid game. I then immediately check my resources. I would say +10 hammers is about my breaking point where i decide to go for it or not. A few games ago i got +15 hammers in a 10 city empire and my hammers did skyrocket to 3 times the second AI in production. Railroad lead well into an oil based army and you can produce a strong navy with mining inc in no time. So again i would say "it depends" is the correct answer :)

Knightly_

13. MesSer

MesSer Chieftain

Getting the Great People isn't that hard. You usually chain 1-3 GA at around that time which makes it pretty easy to get the GP that you need.

I tend to use both companies and SP at about the same frequency. However lately, as I've increased difficulty level to immortal, I've noticed that corporations kinda gives you the edge too late in the game to be really effective. I've noticed that there are so many other ways to use your resources in order to gain an edge.

The only real reason I could think where corps would actually be the preferred method is if you're backwards and boxed in by stronger opponents, then corps could be used in order to "catch up" in late game and try win with tanks or space race.

14. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

I use SP more. Communism also has that free Great Spy to help out if you get there first. Not only is SP earlier but the bonuses come on-line faster without having to build and spread a bunch of corporate missionaries (opportunity cost of hammers).

I think all this is my rationalizing. SP is easier to use and requires less micro. Just select and start building Workshops and Watermills in your production cities.

15. King Pluto

King Pluto Emperor

Both are useful, I use SP more because in my experience it helps me quicker militarily.

16. michmbk

michmbk Emperor

SP is better for lazy people who don't micro in the late game, which is why I use it more. I don't pay enough attention to where I've spread my corp, and inevitably i forget to build executives, etc..., so SP is just easier to deal with.

17. §L¥ Gµ¥

§L¥ Gµ¥ Prince

Planning of the GPs you need to pop, as well as the cost of the hammers to spread the corporations, and the subsequent diplomacy needed to use them effectively makes them inferior to state property IMO. They're a good idea, but they're markedly harder to implement well.

18. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

I mostly play fun games, where my goal is to get my population as high as possible, not necessarily to pursue a winning strategy or anything like that. For that reason, I like corporations. They're just more fun.

But I doubt I would rely on a corporation strategy in a tight game.

19. Sian

Sian Emperor

usually corporations ... it fits better for my tempremant