State religion and world wonders? Need help

Zincat

Chieftain
I write here to ask for help with something I do not know.
In this game I am playing right now, I managed to found multiple religions. Given the difficulty I play at it's rather unusual.

However I am not certain how that is going to work regarding world wonders that require state religion.

I currently have Kemetism, and I have built the world wonder Temple of Toth, which has in the tooltip "State religion must be present in city"

I have also managed to found Naghualism, and I have this wonder here, Pyramid of the Magician, which also states "State religion must be present in city"

The question is. If I switch my state religion from Kemetism to Naghualism, will the temple of Toth still be active? Or will it be deactivated?

Basically, is that tooltip requirement just a requirement to build the wonder? can I have multiple world wonders requiring different state religion active at the same time? Or not?

Please only informed answers, this could be a rather important point for my game.

As far as i know (V27) you can switch your State-Reli and the oly wonder will still be active.
And you are right, you have to switch to nagualism to build the nagualism wonders.
If you switch your religion very often, you can build almost all the religionwonders, since the AI rarely switches it's state-religion for this purpose.

To clarify, i'm asking because I play Immortal with increasing difficulty (and they soon reach deity), and as such I am usually trailing behind in research until midgame, and by then most religions have been founded. But this game went differently, and so I was wondering.

Edit: Thanks for the answer, I hope I will get more reassurances too. No offense meant, I just want to be absolutely sure because I also want to know if I should make a run for a couple of other religions that have not been founded yet or not.

The state religion is only needed to build the wonder. There is no way to turn off buildings based on religion like there is for civics so changing state religion will not remove the buildings built under any previous state religion. And yea, I'm the guy who looks after the religions in C2C.

Thanks a lot. Guess it's time to play the religions-whore pious man and run for some more scams Holy Faiths :lol:

And btw, I really like how you remodeled cathedrals, the old way of needing 4 temples I didn't like very much. It makes a lot more sense that you can only build them in established cities.

All religious buildings stay in effect when you switch state religions, it's one of the worst balance issues in the game. With proper planning, priests give as much or more hammers during most of the game as engineers.

The state religion is only needed to build the wonder. There is no way to turn off buildings based on religion like there is for civics so changing state religion will not remove the buildings built under any previous state religion. And yea, I'm the guy who looks after the religions in C2C.

Hmm... It's complicated, but what if you change religions to be a civic as well?

All religious buildings stay in effect when you switch state religions, it's one of the worst balance issues in the game. With proper planning, priests give as much or more hammers during most of the game as engineers.

Also all the early science wonders (except Library of Nin) give a small flat bonus to beakers, but there are some specific religious wonders that give huge % bonuses.

Civs with multiple religions already have a silly advantage with each monastery giving 10% beakers with no maintenance. Meanwhile, all the science buildings are really bad, costing you maintenance and only giving you a few beakers, such as the school of scribe, library, observatory, astrologists, etc.

Even though I want a science focused city, theres just no point in specializing for it. All the science wonders just dont help much, and I dont even want to use up a wonder slot to make it. Instead, a science focused city is just a city with a bunch of religions with every special religious wonder that gives 50% beakers + great scientist academy + great doctor building.
Whats the point of platos academy, oxford university? The only good one comes way later (leonardos workshop).

Also all the early science wonders (except Library of Nin) give a small flat bonus to beakers, but there are some specific religious wonders that give huge % bonuses.

Civs with multiple religions already have a silly advantage with each monastery giving 10% beakers with no maintenance. Meanwhile, all the science buildings are really bad, costing you maintenance and only giving you a few beakers, such as the school of scribe, library, observatory, astrologists, etc.

Even though I want a science focused city, theres just no point in specializing for it. All the science wonders just dont help much, and I dont even want to use up a wonder slot to make it. Instead, a science focused city is just a city with a bunch of religions with every special religious wonder that gives 50% beakers + great scientist academy + great doctor building.
Whats the point of platos academy, oxford university? The only good one comes way later (leonardos workshop).

The 10% monasteries were fine in basic BtS when there were only 7 religions, and libraries/universities/labs provided x-% science as well and so were vaguely comparable in function, and monasteries went obsolete after what now seems like a few turns (well a couple of hundred, but you didn't have them for long I mean). In comparison, an snail/eons game of C2C could have them obsolete only after thousands of turns have passed.

My current game, the moment I discovered Modern Physics my science dropped by about 2/5ths. Plus, there's no replacement building like in ROM-AND (they used the school), so the first line in my cities' unit build selection is filled up with useless missionaries because the monasteries are still there. Got around it though by making all missionaries upgrade to celebrities, cleaned the unit selection right up :lol:.

So 10% science for each is a bit much. Yeah I know the mathematics of heredity was formalised by a monk, and they preserved the knowledge of the Romans through the dark ages, and were literally the only place you could learn to read and write for a thousand years if you lived in Christendom. Maybe give them a set +science bonus rather than a %, like with libraries, and have it taper off gradually with specific techs, like Stone Tools Workshop does, before becoming obsolete?

I'd almost say the same for some of the wonders, but I think with them they set up a culture and tradition of learning and scholarship, that persists in society long after the building itself has crumbled to dust.

Top Bottom