State Secession

Thedrin

Deity
This is not a thread about the legality of secession under the US constitution. This thread assumes that secession is legal and that a generic state has seceded. It also assumes that the secession is peaceful. If you believe that a peaceful secession would only occur under certain circumstances you may assume those circumstances.

There seem to be a number of advocates of state secession here. I'm curious about some issues that would arise from secession.

For convenience I'll refer to the seceded state, the newly formed country, as Exstatia.

Upon secession:

1) should US military bases:
a) become military bases of Exstatia,
b) remain as US military bases and function like those in Germany, Japan, Korea, etc.
c) be disbanded with all personnel and equipment being transported back to the US,
d).

2) Does the ownership of nuclear weapons that have been stockpiled within Exstatia:
a) transfer to Exstatia,
b) remain with the US,
c) shared ownership.

3) should members of the US armed forces who recognised Exstatia as their home state before secession:
a) be discharged immediately,
b) be expected to continue their service to a foreign power,
c) be given the option to continue serving or to be released from duty,
d) other.

4) which of the following options should those who had identified Exstatia as their home state before secession have:
a) to become dual citizens of Exstatia and the US,
b) to refuse citizenship of Exstatia and remain as citizens of the US,
c) none of the above, they automatically lose US citizenship and all rights that go with it,
d) other.

5) How much of the US's national debt should be transferred to Exstatia:
a) none,
b) an amount related to assets of the US government in Exstatia,
c) an amount related to the historical federal taxes less federal funding for each year times the increase in US debt that year with adjustments for inflation (Assuming recent years are a good historical indicator, West Virginia - I honestly have never heard about this state until just now - and Virginia which receive more federal money than they pay in federal taxes would take on a much larger amount of debt than New Jersey).
d) other

6) How should Exstatia handle the sudden jump in unemployment (due to US government employees living within Exstatia being laid off) and the loss of federal money?

7) How should Exstatia's economy handle the loss of capital as investors and owners of fluid assets move their assets out of Exstatia into the US? Protectionism?

8) How would Exstatia's relations with other US states changes?

I don't have any problem with the notion that a US state should have the right to secede, but with the exception of a few very wealthy states with easy access to non-US markets I can't imagine why any state would want to. There are ideals that the US federal government does not meet, but the problems created by secession look so large to me that I can only imagine the most ardent idealist would view secession as a good thing.

"Idealism is the absence of pragmatism"

1)
d) mutual agreement, with the will of the new country being supreme. If the US feels the need to keep some of the bases, the government should negotiate conditions under which they'll remain - lease, extraterritoriality, all that stuff. However, the US should probably be given some compensation for the lost federal property.

2)
b) remain with the US (pretty much the same as with the ex-Soviet states).

3)

4)

5)
b) an amount related to assets of the US government in Exstatia (though I don't think it would work in practice)

6)
as it can :) If they wanted to secede, they should have had some plans as to what to do once they are independent. If the secession was peaceful and the new country had an open access to the US market, I don't think the economic disruption would be serious, unless the state used to be dependent on federal funding. In which case I don't understand why it seceded.

7)
Offering incentives to investors that states within the US can't offer. US protectionism would then be a serious problem, should the US want to punish the new country.

8)
Profoundly.

c) be disbanded with all personnel and equipment being transported back to the US,
d). + State be required to reimburse the US for them.

2) Does the ownership of nuclear weapons that have been stockpiled within Exstatia:
b) remain with the US,

3) should members of the US armed forces who recognised Exstatia as their home state before secession:

4) which of the following options should those who had identified Exstatia as their home state before secession have:

d) other - The same percentage as the state population.

6) How should Exstatia handle the sudden jump in unemployment (due to US government employees living within Exstatia being laid off) and the loss of federal money?
That's their problem. But they would have to recreate most of those in any case.

7) How should Exstatia's economy handle the loss of capital as investors and owners of fluid assets move their assets out of Exstatia into the US? Protectionism?
That probably wouldn't happen much in the short term. In the longer term what would matter would be the state regulations and the relationship to the US.

It would become like any other foreign country. No federal rules to limit what agreements can be made.

1) US military bases:
a) become military bases of Exstatia & c) be disbanded with all personnel and equipment being transported back to the US
Bases should be turned over to that state’s National Guard, however all non-state personnel and equipment be returned to the U.S.

b) shared ownership.
Because many nuclear assets and materials can’t be easily moved a shared responsibility agreement would have to be put in place.

c) be given the option to continue serving or to be released from duty
Pretty simple really.

c) none of the above, they automatically lose US citizenship and all rights that go with it
However, people should be allowed to move out of the State if they choose too and return to the U.S. There should not be a divided populace in the state.

b) an amount related to assets of the US government in Exstatia

Is really a case by case basis. Plus the state will be taking over many former federal functions.

Again, impossible to predict without particular states in mind.

Vastly, and depends on method of secession and the temperament of both adminestrations.

I am curious as to how this worked when the USSR broke up. Does anyone have knowledge of this?

This is not a thread about the legality of secession under the US constitution. This thread assumes that secession is legal and that a generic state has seceded. It also assumes that the secession is peaceful. If you believe that a peaceful secession would only occur under certain circumstances you may assume those circumstances.

There seem to be a number of advocates of state secession here. I'm curious about some issues that would arise from secession.

For convenience I'll refer to the seceded state, the newly formed country, as Exstatia.

Upon secession:

a) become military bases of Exstatia,
b) remain as US military bases and function like those in Germany, Japan, Korea, etc.
d).

a) transfer to Exstatia,
b) remain with the US,
c) shared ownership.

a) be discharged immediately,
b) be expected to continue their service to a foreign power,
d) other.

c) none of the above, they automatically lose US citizenship and all rights that go with it,
d) other.

a) none,
b) an amount related to assets of the US government in Exstatia,
c) an amount related to the historical federal taxes less federal funding for each year times the increase in US debt that year with adjustments for inflation (Assuming recent years are a good historical indicator, West Virginia - I honestly have never heard about this state until just now - and Virginia which receive more federal money than they pay in federal taxes would take on a much larger amount of debt than New Jersey).
d) other

I don't have any problem with the notion that a US state should have the right to secede, but with the exception of a few very wealthy states with easy access to non-US markets I can't imagine why any state would want to. There are ideals that the US federal government does not meet, but the problems created by secession look so large to me that I can only imagine the most ardent idealist would view secession as a good thing.

"Idealism is the absence of pragmatism"

1. If Exstatia allows them to stay, they can stay. Otherwise the US government has the choice whether to disband it or hand it over.

2. Assuming the US actually let them go, this could be discussed diplomatically, and an agreement reached.

3. Given the option I imagine, or at least that makes sensee to me.

4. If both the US and Exstatia agree, they could be duel citizens, otherwise they have to, and get, to make the choice.

5. None whatsoever. It was the US government's fault that we are in the debt we're in, let them deal with it.

6-7 are beyond my credentials.

8. The United States SHOULD simply accept them as a new country and should have good diplomatic relations but this might not happen. As for other countries, they'd probably be neutral with everyone to start off with, although they may well ally with other western democracies off the bat.

5. None whatsoever. It was the US government's fault that we are in the debt we're in, let them deal with it.

That's theft, and theft is coercion. Nice job, libertarian.

How is that theft? The US Federal government made those choices, let them pay for it.

What is theft is making me pay for those choices which paid for programs for other people.

I am curious as to how this worked when the USSR broke up. Does anyone have knowledge of this?
Respectively:

1. a, with some exceptions
2. b
3. combination of c and d due to the Red Army's conscription system
4. usually d
5. a, sort of; Russia assumed the entire debt of the Soviet Union
6. varied radically from republic to republic
7. not really applicable in most cases
8. varied radically from republic to republic

I think most of these issues would have to be decided in advance for the secession to be peaceful. So I would think:

1) U.S. would either close down military bases or negotiate leases on them.
2) U.S. would remove all nuclear weapons unilaterally when secession became apparent. There's no way they would tolerate another independent nuclear power in North America.
3) U.S. military personnel would continue to be bound by the oath of allegiance they took when their term of service began. They could request an early discharge but if they acted as agents of Exstatia while in U.S. service they would be subject to court martial.
4) I would think dual citizenship initially, but possibly with a time limit. After, say, 7 years, you have to pick one or the other.
5) Exstatia would have to assume some share of the national debt that would be negotiated based on population, U.S. government assets forfeited, etc.
6) I think the means of addressing unemployment would depend on the state. I'd expect a liberal-leaning state would initiate government work and retraining programs to get people back to work. If it were Texas, well, they're probably out of luck until they find new jobs in the private sector.
7) Protectionism is pretty much taboo, but I'd expect the actions taken to keep or attract foreign capital would vary. Again, more liberal states would probably raise taxes and invest public money in infrastructure and education. More conservative states would probably just make sure the tax rates on that money were as low as possible.
8) Relations with the US might continue to be friendly, but travel into and out of there would become much more cumbersome. That would affect commerce a great deal. And if Exstatia pursued policies much at variance with US interests, relations could chill very quickly.

How is that theft? The US Federal government made those choices, let them pay for it.

What is theft is making me pay for those choices which paid for programs for other people.

But when those choices were made, Exstatia was represented in Congress, so they share responsibility for them.

I disagree considering none of the state government voted for those bills at all.

Then again, I just feel like my generation is being robbed because WE are the ones that are going to be saddled with 15 trillion dollars of debt which paid for policies to support a generation that is not mine. I don't think that's fair and would want my state to protect me from it.

In fact, leave it all in DC. I would love to see every state secede and leave DC with the debt. They deserve it:mischief:

That's idiotic. The federal government is composed of representatives from all the States. You can't pull a "they forced those decisions on me!" facade; you were part of those decisions. It's a republic.

I disagree considering none of the state government voted for those bills at all.
But it's not the state government that secedes, but the entire state. And the population in that state is responsible for the decisions made on federal level because they elected the institutions that made them.

In fact, leave it all in DC. I would love to see every state secede and leave DC with the debt. They deserve it:mischief:
This just shows how ridiculous this is. Let's designate some uninhabited rocky island the federal capital and have the rest of the US secede from it!

But it's not the state government that secedes, but the entire state. And the population in that state is responsible for the decisions made on federal level because they elected the institutions that made them.
His whole arguments are about the rights of state governments, not the rights of the citizens of that state. He either can't separate the two in his head or doesn't want to. Rather like how he reads the Tenth Amendment as "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Then again, I just feel like my generation is being robbed because WE are the ones that are going to be saddled with 15 trillion dollars of debt which paid for policies to support a generation that is not mine. I don't think that's fair and would want my state to protect me from it.

So all of the debt build up by representatives and senators of 50 states will be passed onto a district that has no senators and 1 representative?

Top Bottom