1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Statistics....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Che Guava, Mar 30, 2006.

?

Statistics are...

1. the devil incarnate!

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. fibs wrapped in lies!

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. useful but unpleasant...

27 vote(s)
    46.6%
  4. Fun for the whole family

22 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Che Guava

Che Guava The Juicy Revolutionary

A little thread inspired by a graduate course in Ecological Statistics I recently completed:

I have a love-hate relationship with stats. I love being able to find trends and differences in data (particularly in ecology) but the methodology required for most of the analyses just drives me insane!!!!! I can spend an entire day working on nothing but statistics, hating every minute of it, yet unable to stop. :crazyeye:

For those of you that have to deal with complex statistics for your work/studies, how do you feel about statistical analysis?

2. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

only really use stats in physics, which i find immensly boring so while there useful they are unpleasant.

3. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

I believe I am required to take a statistics course in order to get my degree. I dread the though.

4. pboily

pboily fingerlickinmathematickin

mathematicians need statistics like elephants need ballroom dancing

5. Sidhe

Sidhe Chieftain

There are Lies, damn lies and statistics

Mark twain

is that what you meant?

I find statistical math fairly dull but I supose we wouldn't have a forecast of predicted population of Sea gulls on the west coast of Scotland without them, so they have their uses. Fortunately physics is mostly stat free.

6. crabapple

crabapple I am watching

Statistics are the most boring subject on earth to study :p luckly I am done with that part of my education and never have to touch it again

7. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

"[Statistics is] the most important science in the whole world: for upon it depends the practical application of every other science and of every art: the one science essential to all political and social administration, all education, all organization based on experience, for it only gives results of our experience."
    -- Florence Nightingale

8. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

9. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Actually, i rather enjoyed my stats class that i took last semester. It was the first math i took in a long time that I felt that really applied to what I'm studying. I'm sure I'll take another one soon

10. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

I love them.

11. anarres

anarres anarchist revolutionary

Stats is actually quite beautiful, if you don't abuse it.

12. Ayatollah So

Ayatollah So the spoof'll set you free

As a mechanical engineer by training and jack-of-all-trades researcher/engineer by actual work, I have to say that statistics courses were probably the most useful that I ever took. Not so much for the gory details of the math - we have computer programs for that, provided that you understand a few key terms. Mostly for the concepts, and some elementary math like Bayes's theorem.

They don't just help at work. Lots of news and gossip relies on probabilistic reasoning, even if it's not couched in numbers. And knowing even a little statistics helps a lot, because you start to notice things like self-selected samples, or ignored base rates.

13. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Chieftain

Agreed, statistics is probably the single most useful course, and the one you will consciously miss the most in your other applied sciences/business classes if you lack the skills.

How are you suppose to understand any of the empirical findings in any papers?

14. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

My opinion isn't there :(. I love listening to them and knowing them, but I think they are useless. So my vote would be I like them but I find them useless.

15. SonicX

SonicX Chieftain

As a political science student, I can safely say they're useful and useless at the same time.
    They're usually good for seeing evolutions, but useless if you need to find causal relationships. For my presentation and debate I have to do on the Kyoto protocol it's the same thing. Statistics are generally meaningless, but they can such a powerful persuasive tool if handled correctly (which ofcourse means false, but credible)

16. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

Sadistics, as I believe many students refer to it.

I enjoy the basic level of statistical awareness I gained in intro psych, as well as the superiority said basic intelligence allows me to feel over the plebs.

17. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

I do the same. Drives me insane, though I'd admit a greater insanity trying to 'dumb' myself to the average person's lifestyle/thoughts. :p

If you haven't already seen it, check out the movie "Pi" (or actually it's the symbol... theta).

18. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Chieftain

Statistics are Teh Sh1T.

19. newfangle

newfangle hates you.

Stochastic theory is really interesting (that's probability). Statistics is depressing soft-science. :p

20. carniflex

carniflex Stratêgos

Instructive as long as you know how they were made, then what they does mean.

Else, useless or propaganda.