Statue of Zeus - AI War Deterrent?

bentley004

Chieftain
Does the AI take into account whether or not you have the Statue of Zeus (increased war weariness) before declaring war? Either personal experience or someone who knows the code is helpful! If not, I'm not sure its worth it for me to ever build.

Oh its worth building, even if only for the reason that then YOU wont suffer for the WW if you are at war with that Civ.

Also, while I do not think it prevents wars, they do seem shorter.

Well they do count war weariness as a factor for stoping the war so the wars would end sooner but I do not think it helps keeping them from not declaring but thats just me guesing. Unless it raises your power level not sure about that but the great wall helps if I remeber corectly so mayby statue of zeues does to.

If it does deter war, great. If not, build it anyway if you fear invasion- their empire will crumble if you can hold them off for a little bit, then you can mount a counterattack and wipe out their crippled cities. Another advantage of building it is it eliminates the risk of a civ you want to invade building it (curse you Ghandi!! :mad:).

In fact, does the AI suffer from war weariness? Just right now I'm kicking Hatshepsut's ass, she has WW of 490... but her cities doesn't seem to suffer any angry faces from it.

bentley004,

I believe that the AI suffers much much less WW than the player on higher difficulties (and maybe even noble*) reducing the usefulness of the statue. Also, it requires X/X monuments to be built, as a Huge Map player, I virtually never see the statue because by the time I have my 8 cities, I'm either already up to my neck in a war, want to finish that one, and get started on the next one right away. Even if I go into recovery mode, I'm not thinking about building an item that will do nothing to help my empire.

Fun fact: You suffer WW when you lose a unit where you are NOT culturally dominant.

Meaning if you take over an enemy city, and they attack and kill you defending your new city, you will suffer WW from losing units. Even worse, if an enemy's culture is encroaching upon YOUR city to the point where he has more culture than you, and you lose units defending that city, you will suffer WW.

*noble does have a FEW imbalances in favor of the AI. I believe WW is one of them.

In fact, does the AI suffer from war weariness? Just right now I'm kicking Hatshepsut's ass, she has WW of 490... but her cities doesn't seem to suffer any angry faces from it.

AI suffers drastically reduced war weariness. They may earn (from my estimates) 1 unhappiness to maybe 6-8 you get assuming no Statue of Zeus factor is played in.

Yes, the AI does suffer from WW. Statue of Zeus appears to me to be a prerequisite to actually hammering enough WW on the AI for it to matter. I've seen this in action in a real game, where I killed so many of Monte's units that he stopped sending any over and began to sue for peace. That got me curious so I raised the EP enough on him to see into his cities. Yes, the WW really was killing him.

Once, that random AI I was fighting reached over 1000 WW, that was a war lasting millenia. Oh you can bet it suffered severely from it, despite the big cheat the AI uses. As for me, I was farming GGs on home turf, WW was getting bad but still worth it IMO.
As for the deterrence factor, it sure looks like the AI isn't deterred by anything, not even nukes.

Yes, the AI does suffer from WW. Statue of Zeus appears to me to be a prerequisite to actually hammering enough WW on the AI for it to matter. I've seen this in action in a real game, where I killed so many of Monte's units that he stopped sending any over and began to sue for peace. That got me curious so I raised the EP enough on him to see into his cities. Yes, the WW really was killing him.

You've had an AI sue for peace? Wow. I havent seen that in BTS yet even when I thoroughly trounce an AI's tuchus. They continue to turn the other (gluteal) cheek.

Yeah. I actually have that happen uncommonly. You've got to really, really trounce them, and I mean something like utterly destroy 2 or 3 major SoDs without losing many (or any) troops or take over 3 or 4 cities within a turn of declaring war.

Just right now I'm kicking Hatshepsut's ass, she has WW of 490... but her cities doesn't seem to suffer any angry faces from it.

That's no surprise. War Weariness only rises when units die outside of your territory. So when you're constantly fighting on Egyptian land the war weariness will only affect you and not the Egyptians.
I like the Statue especially when I already have the Great Wall. Provoke the enemy until he edclares war on you and kill his units inside your borders for a while. It will give you plenty of GG points and cripple his economy.
Makes the following offensive much easier.

I had a very long war once with the Zulu, (thousands of years), as I was testing to see if I could do a 3 city culture win on Emperor, (the answer was no I couldn't - LOL).

My power rating was really bad with only a 3 city empire, so the Zulu kept relentlessly attacking me. I didn't have the resources to mount an attack of my own, so the entire war was 100% defence on my part. However, after circa 3,000 years the attacks started to weaken and the Zulu suddenly asked for peace, and kept asking every 10 or so turns. They weren't at war with anyone else, but as I had a lot of espionage points against them, I checked to see what state their cities were in, and they were all very small, (size 5 or less), with lots of unhappy citizens, and with almost no production capacity at all.

I assumed their cities had shrunk in size because of my Statue of Zeus, but it took many thousands of years to kick in on Emperor. I therefore rarely build it these days, as my wars are always well planned and very short affairs, so the Statue wouldn't provide me any advantage, or disadvantage, (should an enemy have it). More important than that though, the other two wonders that come with Aesthetics give you a much higher reward than the Statue, so given a choice of which of the 3 Aesthetics wonders I would build, the Statue is now firmly last on my list.

The Statue may therefore be an unbalanced wonder, as it may work really well at the lower difficulty levels, but not so well on the higher difficulty levels.

Regards - Mr P

Keep in mind though that the Statue of Zeus is a cheap wonder and one you don't want your enemies to have. If you have Ivory it builds so quick it's almost worth having for the culture and GP points alone.

I think it is just 1 of those wonders which I want it just to prevent the AI from having it. I do not notice any effect the wonder has on AI, but the effect is profound if I am attacking an AI with SoZ.

Top Bottom