Steam Civ IV/Disc Civ IV LAN Compatiblity?

Metallyptika

Chieftain
First post, yay!

I purchased the Steam version of Civ IV over the holidays (the one that comes with all the expansions), and was trying to play with my friends who have the disc-based version of the game over LAN. I could not join their game due to my "critical game files not being compatible." I had the game check for updates, but it said there were none. My friends did the same, and they were also told there were no updates available. We were playing Beyond the Sword, and I was the only person out of four people to be using the Steam version.

Are the Steam and disc-based versions of Civ IV not compatible over LAN, or do I need some sort of fix?

i know this is old now... but i'll address it because this post appears in searches.

That message just means that your versions of the game are different, Steam will always be the latest version so the disk based systems need to download the latest game patch from the CIV website or do it via the game menu (it doesn't auto install, mind).

At the time of writing the latest version is 3.19, the advantage is that you no longer have to have the disk in the drive to play.

Top Bottom