[Warlords] Steam Civilization IV - CD Warlords fails to install

savvym

Chieftain
I installed Civilization IV on Steam. It is working. I ran installation of Warlords. Says: "Sid Meier's Civilization 4 is not installed properly. Please re-install and then retry Sid Meier's Civilization 4: Warlords installation." Warlords is on CD.
I checked the integrity which did not find a thing missing.
I checked a computer disk - nothing.
I started game and it did not download any programs as it normally does before launching other games.
I ran installation as admin - nothing changed.
I reinstalled game - same.
I used compatibility mode (Win 10 tool) to run installation on Windows XP - gets stuck.
Tried this: Corrupt InstallShield files. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime and delete or rename IsProBE.tlb then re-run the installer - did not help.

I can not see a problem why would Steam version not be compatible with CD version.

Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
The CD copy protection needs a driver which was disabled by MS two years ago. On Win 7 you could manually re-enable this driver. On Win 10 I had no idea.

Possible solution: Use the second addon Civ4:BTS, which includes the first one and patch it to version 3.19, if required. The 3.19 executable is without this CD copy protection.

Steam versions of CIV are incompatible with CD versions. This applies to original CIV, Warlords, and BTS. All of them have to be either the CD version or the Steam version. You can't mix them from the two sources. Steam installs CIV in a completely different location from the CD version. So, neither one can find anything installed by the other. As Ramkhamhaeng said, if you use the CD version you also run into the problem created by Microsoft's copy protection change from last Autumn.

Thanks for replies. It is pity they can not mix them two, why on Earth they sell CD DLC alone when it is not compatible with original version. Maybe it is protection but to me it is just issue that I spend my money stupidly in belief that I would get them working.

Top Bottom