Steam Controller

RDomico

Warlord
Is anyone thinking of getting a Steam Controller with Civ VI? It seems strange to me, but I guess it could work.

Did anyone try a steam controller with Civ 5?

A friend of mine plays Civ 5 mostly from the couch, he likes it more than behind his desk.

He uses the Steam controller and says it actually works quite well.
Of course not as good as keyboard and mouse, but still not bad at all.

Mouse-control via Steam Controller is much like using a (really small) Laptop Touchpad. For some people it's fine, for other people it feels extremely frustrating.

I have both the Steam Link and Controller and it worked great with Beyond Earth. I'm sure it would work fine with Civ 6 too.

It definitely takes some getting used to; I remember trying to play Witcher 3 for the first time with it and it felt really awkward and difficult to do things (like running along the stairs/walls at the beginning, combat, and even picking herbs felt tedious). Then, I played it on my desktop and it felt so much easier and natural. For most faster-paced games (which I play few of these days anyway), I stick to my desktop.

But, I think its quite nice with turn-based games where you don't have to be so twitchy, especially for players that aren't used to using controllers. You can just lay back casually and play at your own pace as you get a feel for the controller and customize it just the way you want it.

Except for XCOM 2... It works nice with it, but (for me) the game is too intense and one clumsy button mistake can ruin an entire mission. I stick to the desktop for that one too, haha.

But, I definitely plan on playing some Civ 6 from my comfy couch every now and then.

I pre-purchased a copy of civ 6 especially for the steam controller. I plan to play the game in a more active position than civ 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1. That means standing up. I plan to somehow raise and tilt my screen a bit and be detached from my desk. With the controller I should be able jump, shake, dance, run in place, etc. when I am playing. I think civ 6 will be good for that, never requiring high responsiveness from the player and having long(ish) wait times in between turns.

I have never played a game with a controller, so I am curious how my plans will work out.

I pre-purchased a copy of civ 6 especially for the steam controller. I plan to play the game in a more active position than civ 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1. That means standing up. I plan to somehow raise and tilt my screen a bit and be detached from my desk. With the controller I should be able jump, shake, dance, run in place, etc. when I am playing. I think civ 6 will be good for that, never requiring high responsiveness from the player and having long(ish) wait times in between turns.

I have never played a game with a controller, so I am curious how my plans will work out.

I have no idea if you are serious or not....:lol:

Mouse-control via Steam Controller is much like using a (really small) Laptop Touchpad. For some people it's fine, for other people it feels extremely frustrating.

I'm curious if it would be more comfortable controlling the mouse pad using my thumb on the controller than it is when I use my index finger on a laptop. :think:

I play both Civ 4 and 5 with the Steam controller, and much prefer it to my laptop touchpad. I use it to play on my big TV whilst on the sofa, and I recommend it without hesitation!

In fact I am typing this from my sofa using its on-screen keyboard :D

I tried so hard to do that but couldn't find a way to make it work with my bike. Kind of a bummer. I could probably get hours of exercise in without even thinking about it if I could play Civ at the same time.

Maybe the controller is a good option.
lol, when i ride my exercise bike i always play civ rev. the hour goes by in nothing flat. i bought a steam controller but have yet to get the adjustments dialed in. i better get working on that.

Thanks for all the information. I decided to buy a controller and play around on Civ 5. For the first half hour, I really struggled. Then I starting to get the hang of it. I made some changes to the recommended configuration and I think I like it.

Thanks for all the information. I decided to buy a controller and play around on Civ 5. For the first half hour, I really struggled. Then I starting to get the hang of it. I made some changes to the recommended configuration and I think I like it.

Cool, now get dancing and running. :)

I haven't used mine with civ5 but in general I hate the steam controller. If you're used to the xbox style it's really hard to adjust for action games. A slower game where you use the touchpad to replicate a mouse might be ok though.

Top Bottom