Steam hacked - All Steam users are adviced to change their Steam passwords(Nov. 2011)

my bank details have definately been accessed and money stolen I am not saying it is definately linked to this as I don't know yet am seeing bank tomorrow.I strongly suspect a link but we shall see. will post more as i know it.

my bank details have definately been accessed and money stolen I am not saying it is definately linked to this as I don't know yet am seeing bank tomorrow.I strongly suspect a link but we shall see. will post more as i know it.

What makes you suspect a strong link?

Almost certainly there's no relation but it will be interesting to hear what you find nonetheless.

:bump: apparently the hackers also stole credit card data, http://store.steampowered.com/news/7323/

Recently we learned that it is probable that the intruders obtained a copy of a backup file with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008. This backup file contained user names, email addresses, encrypted billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. It did not include Steam passwords.

We do not have any evidence that the encrypted credit card numbers or billing addresses have been compromised. However as I said in November it's a good idea to watch your credit card activity and statements. And of course keeping Steam Guard on is a good idea as well.

That's unfortunate. Although I had steam guard on so it didn't affect me (I also don't think I had credit card info saved, but I digress).

if its limited to purchases from 2004 to 2008 im fine. i only got on steam about a year ago.

Good thing most credit cards from that period will have expired by now so afaik it probably isn't even worth their time to try and decrypt that information! I didn't even use the same e-mail account back then or have a credit card :D

I wish I had seen this earlier. My credit card was accessed a couple of days ago and over $300 charged for Steam and Valve purchases I didn't make. It makes me dislike Steam more than I did before.

I'm not sure if your problem is linked to the breach. If the hackers did get information and steal your credit card info, they probably would have started charging it right away, not wait nearly a year and then start spending.

I don't mean to sound callous and unsympathetic, but you should probably look somewhere else before you accuse Steam of losing your credit card info.

well, steam can still lose people's info but it might be isolated and not a large hacking effort targeting thousands of accounts. he may have just been unfortunate in being targeted by a hacker. but i would take immediate interest in all of my accounts, both online and any financial institutions.

I also doubt that this is still of the Steam hack.

Hey, I remember this necro thread! Lots of chicken little's running around saying the end of the world is nigh, all your bank accounts will be empty by next tuesday, and all your steam account are belong to us!

What ever happened after that hack happened, anyway? Oh yeah, nothing at all. <chuckle> As predicted. Somewhere, a surly hacker is still cursing at a pile of well-encrypted digital info that is utterly worthless to him.

Moderator Action: Please do not call other members 'chicken littles'. That's considered trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom