1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam - love or hate?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by oogabla, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Shouldn't you be posting in the "Civilization Haters Forums", not the "Civilization Fanatics Forums"?

On the other hand, I guess people can be fanatically against something, as well as fanatically for it, so you do qualify after all.

2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Huh? Offline mode works even when the connection is blocked, that is the whole point.

You do have to let Steam connect once, to install the game and download updates. If you aren't willing to do that, you can't play Civ 5, as far as I know. But you don't have to connect regularly.

You could also run Steam and Civ 5 in a virtual machine installed on your computer that has no access to anything else on your computer, so even if Steam did something you didn't like, it wouldn't have access to any files except for Civ 5 and couldn't do any harm except to your Civ 5 experience.

3. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

If it is true that one can set it up this way and continue playing the game indefinitely, then it certainly mitigates the intrusiveness to some extent. But it still does not make the intrinsic risks of the default operational settings acceptable in general (though they may be to you), and it also does not make the extra technical steps (and expertise) necessary reasonable.

To my knowledge, ownership of any of the Civ games is not required to be a member in good-standing of the CFC community. However, to address the implied illegitimacy of my continued involvement on CFC and this thread in particular: I bought and played Civ I; I was on a grad-school induced hiatus from gaming during the era of Civ2; I bought every single expansion they sold for Civ3; I bought (excepting the Revs stuff) every single expansion for Civ4. I have participated in several long-term Civ PBEM matches, including one Civ3 Conquest match with the "The Cold War Deluxe" mod that lasted for two years.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=128628&page=70

I hope it is clear I am a long time Civ Fanatic, whether or not I like what has happened with Civ5.

4. Sock Bramson

Sock Bramson Chieftain

Soooo... after 63 pages I'm still confused. Has anyone ever had Steam harm their computer/steal information/do anything besides what it is designed to do? I've been using it for 3 years, I think (whenever it was that I bought the first L4D), and I have had no problems of any kind. There have even been a few times that my internet connection got fijucked up and I was forced to set it to offline mode; I then continued playing my single player games, and there was much rejoicing.

I understand that some people don't like being forced into using another program to play a game and all that, but is that all that this debate really boils down to? If no one can offer a legitimate horror story in which Steam does something wrong then, yes, it would seem so. Come on, how grating of a compromise is it, really, to download a small, free program in order to play a few games that require said program? If you like that game, why not install the program? If you don't like the game, then who cares?

5. Jharii

Jharii King

I don't have concerns about Steam. Why should I be concerned about your concerns of anything? Misery loves company? Why is my unhappiness of such a concern to you? If you've noticed, I've tried to help people with their issues throughout this thread. I wouldn't call that advocacy. I'd call that just trying to be helpful.

And I don't really care about any tests. I have my own brain and I've been in IT for 18+ years. I test it mysef and everything works beautifully. All I suggested is that you go find out for yourself. You're free not to and free to listen to whoever you like until you find an answer that coincides with your predisposition that Steam is bad.

6. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

If anyone has, I've never heard/read of it happening.

Well occasionally, like any software program, Steam has bugs and there have been some problems with patching Civ5, but besides that not really.
    The worst experiences I've seen have involved Paypal and one of them was the user's fault.

It seems to be, as that is the point that comes right back when (almost anyways) everything else runs out of steam. (No pun intended).

Pretty much, and if you really don't like Steam that much, then don't buy the game. And don't pirate it, for obvious reasons. Right, and this has already been discussed to death numerous times too :p

7. Samson

Samson Deity

This certainly not the case for me. I have to verify myself every few hours of playtime because it crashes and losses my details.

8. Maniacal

That really shouldn't be happening. I don't know what to suggest but have you tried reinstalling?

It is true, as has been said before. Does it always work? No, but that too has already been well documented.

9. Jharii

Jharii King

What do you mean "crashes?" By "it" do you mean Steam or the game? Can you provide details and maybe the Windows Event Log entry? Or doe it simply interrupt your game by providing you with a popup requesting your login information?

10. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Steam will never ask for login details in the middle of a game. It might drop the connection to any sort of multiplayer, but it will not actively kick you out of the game.

This is Valve, not Ubisoft ffs.

11. Jharii

Jharii King

I'm asking for someone to describe what it is happening to them to try to help, ffs.

12. turfcat

turfcat Prince

Hi everyone,
    I've been reading the pros and cons here.
    I've never used STEAM.
    Can anyone tell me how well it works on dial-up?
    Will I have trouble registering?
    Will I be able to play in offline mode?
    Unfortunately high speed is not available where I live.
    Thanks.

13. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Not recommended. Every time a patch comes out you'll be leaving the computer on overnight to download it. As long as your connection is reliable you won't have trouble registering or entering offline mode. Theres already a few hundred megs of patches worth that you'll have to download on installation. Some people have also reported difficulty forcing the game to install from disc instead of online. If you're not at all familiar with Steam then this may be made more difficult if you encounter this problem.

14. The_Coyote

The_Coyote Emperor

@turfcat

additional to the things Senethro said - if you have a friend with high speed internet you could perhaps also do the following

At least for patching this would be an additional option - if it also works as trick to install the game, i don´t know. Also i think it would be better if you would play always in offline mode (and only go online to validate) - to avoid a patching surprise.

15. Maniacal

The two above posts cover it really well, the game's data files are perfectly transferable between computers and accounts. Dial-up will screw you over in downloading patches, but you could download it at a friend's (on their computer or even lug yours over there) but should be fine for registering, 1 time activation and you can play online or offline. You will need to download the patches (no choice, sorry) when you install the game (as it has to connect to authenticate).

I also offer you my sincerest condolences for being stuck with dial up in 2010 CE :(

16. rbj2001

rbj2001 Warlord

It's not just dial-up though. My broadband is pretty slow - 500 kbps - and I would be incredibly peed-off if Steam started downloading an update without my permission when I just wanted to play the game.

17. Beef Hammer

Beef Hammer Warlord

then you just tell it not too keep the game updated

18. Quueg

Quueg Warlord

Steam is great. I can't recall when I last bought a game in a box.

19. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

I have 300kbps (which is 2.8Mbit) and Steam works just fine for me. If I want to install a game, I just leave it downloading overnight.

Unless of course you mean that you have 500kbit, which is quite a bit slower than 500kbps (8 times slower to be exact!)

20. Maniacal

I've had 1 megabyte per second (cable, finally) since July 2009 and I never want to have anything less again, used to have 160kB/s for most a few years before that, and dial up before that. Still, I did just fine with Steam during that time. In August I was using wireless on my laptop with about 500 or so kB/s and Steam and the games I downloaded and installed worked fine.

Slower speeds mean updates will take longer of course, but that would happen regardless. I just shrugged it off and played or did something else. Its not like Civ5 gets updated that often, its not TF2 :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.