1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam - love or hate?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by oogabla, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

They might also just not bother announcing it until later on too. I fully expected Black Ops to use Steamworks, since Modern Warfare 2 did. No idea why VALVe doesn't have theirs in the marketing campaign, but I never pay attention to the logos anyways (I care less about what a game uses and more about how it uses it). Plus the ads are targeting the PS3 and X-BOx 360 markets too, they might not have it in there so as not to confuse console players who might think Steam will be used on the console version too (it is being developed for the PS3 though).

2. Wardancing

Wardancing Warlord

MW2 and Black Ops are two different groups of people working on it, so i didnt expect it to automatically have steam (treyarch & infinity ward). Supposedly the reason there are so many hackers on MW2 is because of how they implemented VAC, but a lot of people just feel VAC is the problem.

Curious if anyones ever noticed hacks on Civ5? I guess it would be a lot harder to pinpoint a hacker in such a game. FPS, its pretty obvious when someone snaps 190 degrees to multiple head shots :)

3. vee4473

vee4473 Chieftain

All you have to do (for something that may open your mind) is ask yourself one simple question:

Why does Steam exist?

If it takes you longer than about 5 seconds to come up with an answer (knee jerkers take note at this point), then, well....go ponder your support or condemnation of Steam.

You may be surprised at what you come up with or the reversal you take in your opinions.

4. Maniacal

Treyarch builds upon the work that Infinity Ward did, really their games are almost expansion like (although they are supposed to have vastly improved the PC multiplayer). They are also strictly controlled by Activision, who actually holds the rights to the CoD games

The problem in MW2 was that there was no way to kick cheaters from the "server" thingy that was used (there were no servers, just people hosting the games). There were a lot of issues/problems with MW2's PC multiplayer. VAC also doesn't ban a new cheat right off the bat as soon as it is detected, it waits from anywhere from few days to a few weeks before it swings the banhammer in order to catch as many cheaters as possible. I've only ever seen two people cheating in Team Fortress 2 during the three years I've played it afaik, and both of them got banned from the servers I play on asap once they were found out. People can also replace the textures for walls and stuff in game with see-through ones which isn't detectable but everyone bans for it if you are discovered.

I don't know a lot about how cheat programs work, but VAC will be on the look out for certain behaviours that are usually associated with cheats (like memory editing or something).

To make money and improve the response time for feedback on VALVe's games (since it was originally developed to deliver patches and VALVe now uses it to track ingame statistics for their games, which they use to improve them).

What do I win?

5. vee4473

vee4473 Chieftain

No win or lose. Simply a question for each person to ponder. Kneejerk supporters or condemners aside, most people will find this simple question enlightening.

6. Maniacal

Please elaborate as to how its enlightening. Also, are you implying VALVe is trying to trick people into using Steam or something? If so, how is it any different than say (for example) having to use X-Box LIVE (which costs money).

EDIT: Otherwise if you have nothing or little to contribute...

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

If you're suggesting we analyze the psychology of Steam's creators, it doesn't seem particularly interesting or relevant. What matters is what functions it performs, what advantages it creates or disadvantages it has. Motivations don't really matter.

8. Wardancing

Wardancing Warlord

I dont own an XBox, so i may be wrong. Im under the impression that XBox Live is completely a choice, i can still buy an xbox, and buy games, and play them even if i dont sign up to xbox live. I also think this is how the playstation works, the network is a choice.

9. Maniacal

I don't own one either though I've lived with two, X-Box LIVE Gold is required to play multiplayer and access a number of features and it costs a yearly fee (formerly $50 iirc, now its being raised to $60 largely because they can and are adding some lame sports network to it for the states). Playstation Network is completely free and there is paid Playstation Plus or something which adds extra features they are going to (or recently have) release(d).

It was just a somewhat similar example I threw out there.

10. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

What boggles my mind is other digital distribution platforms who actually sell steamworks based games. Direct 2 Drive selling Civ V being the main point of example. Wtf are these people thinking selling games that are linked to their competitor.

11. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

I think they are thinking they would rather make money than not make money.

12. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Well, its a calculated risk that they take. On one hand, they get the money from the sale, but on the other hand, they may end up driving future customers to a competing platform. Still, I guess they decided it was a big-enough game that the benefits outweighed the risks.

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

I think they decided that all of their customers already know that Steam exists and if they wanted to buy their games through Steam they would already be doing so.

14. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I don't play many computer games, the Civ series is mostly it, now and then I'll try another game too. So this is my first time using Steam, and I must say I really like it! Very convenient to just download the game online and play it there, and I assume I'll be able to play it on other computers without bringing the CD around. I really don't see what the big deal is with having it, it doesn't ever do anything if I'm not playing a game. I don't even notice it.

15. rbj2001

rbj2001 Warlord

For you it may be convenient, and maybe also for the bright spark at 2K who decided to make it compulsory. I'm guessing you both have extremely fast always-on internet connections. However you are very much in the minority in liking it, and the fact you don't see what the big deal is says more about you than it does about Steam.

Moderator Action: Please address the posters argument, not the poster themselves

16. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

This is not true.

17. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

I have no problem with steam as distribution/update platform. I see problem to be forced to log in in order to play single player game.

I do not need internet to do so and should not be forced to do so.

18. Artophwar

Artophwar Chieftain

And you know what?? You dont need the internet to play single player. Activate the game once and put it offline mode. I cant believe how many times this has to be repeated. I was without the internet for over 4 months and could play any game. Stop spreading false information.

19. Jenarie

Jenarie Prince

I really like steam. I like having the friend list and I like the silly achievements and I like pretty much everything about it.

But I was REALLY annoyed tonight that when my internet went down I couldn't play Civ5. There is an offline mode so I assumed I could play but apparently you have to go online to tell it to go into offline mode? It just wouldn't start up at all so I couldn't do anything to change the option. So... unless you know in advance when you are going to lose internet, no Civ for you when you lose connection. :sad:

I still like it overall but only because I so rarely lose internet. I don't understand why I'd need to be online to tell it to go offline that just doesn't make sense to me.

Btw, I'd never heard of steam or any of the big download stores before Civ5 forced me to download it so it's a newbie opinion. ;)

20. Maniacal

When you don't have internet Steam still tries to connect but then obviously fails and you need to click restart in offline mode which it then does. However you need to go into settings when logged into Steam previously and enable it to remember your log in information/credentials/whatever it is.

Sometimes Offline mode doesn't work properly, but I've never had a real problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.