1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam - love or hate?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by oogabla, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tnick777

tnick777 Warlord

Tolerate. I like the achievements and being able to DL it on other computers.

Only bad thing was today I was at school waiting for my gf to get out of the testing center and there was no WiFi connection adn I couldn't play CiV :(

2. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Completely the opposite. If people liking Steam were a minority, it would not exist today. It would have died shortly after the launch of HL2.

Offline mode?

3. Gillagad

Gillagad Chieftain

You can still launch Steam in Offline Mode and play Civ5. You just have to have internet connection when you install to validate it, after that you're good.

4. Aeek

Aeek Chieftain

I love not having to have the disc in the drive, that's worth the occasional pain of my connection glitching. Long term, I end up playing games that don't need a disk, Steam, Stardock, whatever. Civ5 is my 1st and so far only steam game.

5. rbj2001

rbj2001 Warlord

I will not be called a liar DaviddesJ, particularly since you cannot offer any arguments to support your view: you don't argue, you just contradict, adding no value to the thread.

The Civ community has been specifically asked the question in an impartial manner, to establish the facts about how they feel about it, not just idle speculation... "I like it so everyone else must". And the fact is, that more people think it detracts from Civ5 (49.4%) than think it adds to it (37.7%).

Genocidalbunny - perhaps you can explain in what way is 37.7% not a minority?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=396352

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

The set of people who respond to a poll aren't a random sample even of the CFC community. The people who have strong feelings about Steam are obviously more likely to read and respond to such polls.

Furthermore, people who visit or post on CFC aren't a random sample of the Civ 5 community.

That said, the main problem with your statement was you said "very much in the minority", implying that people who find benefits in Steam are only a tiny fraction of players. If you said "barely a minority" or "about half", I wouldn't argue with that, although I would still doubt it myself.

7. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Because if you're not minority, you're majority. Cus when you have only two options, the minority is the one that is not the majority. I think that makes sense.

8. Licinia Eudoxia

Licinia Eudoxia Empress

You're not a liar, you're just very, very bad at statistics. ;)

As DaviddesJ pointed out, your 'facts' contain a number of things you're not seeming to consider. You're polling "people who read a Steam poll thread on the website CivFanatics, and click on an option to vote." That is a very small population, and a very particularly focused one.

It isn't even a sizable minority of Civilization 5 players, much less Steam users, or even gamers.

So if you think he's not contributing to the thread, you're doing less than contributing: you're providing harmful misinformation! Shame on you.

9. Artophwar

Artophwar Chieftain

Well as the posted above has said that poll means nothing. It is a small sample of a certain fan base that is biased toward one answer. It doesnt even include everyone in the community. I never voted and Im sure Im not the only one.

You underline the word FACT but you actually offer none. As we said the poll is worthless. If you want facts go to Steam Stats and see that Civ5 is always in the top10 and even right now as I post this, it is NUMBER 2. Steam wouldnt be as popular as it is unless people liked it. The minority in this case is the people that dont like it and there are many facts to prove it.

10. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

So I'm curious how many of you guys who were new to Steam when you bought Civ5 are still liking Steam?

11. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

12. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I won't say that I like steam, but I really don't notice it at all. I'd say I'm indifferent to it right now.

13. Ovidious

Ovidious Chieftain

I was new to steam. At first it was a minor annoyance, now more of one.

I originally bought the collectors metal box version of CiV and set up a steam account. I also bought my son another game (Call of Duty) that used Steam. When he loaded Call of Duty he logged into my steam account which, to my knowledge, forever locks it into that account.

Then I discovered that only one steam account can be active at a time. @#$%#$, even though I paid for two different games to be used on two different pc's now my son and I cannot play our two different games at the same time. (Unless one of us is offline).

I bought another copy of CiV mainly so my one of the kids or my wife could play with me and I then created a new Steam account for it.

Lesson learned, anything that uses Steam gets its own separate Steam account.

There should have been a newbie warning or something about steam.

14. Nares

Nares Emperor

Hate Steam. I would grudgingly accept it if it actually prevented piracy, but it doesn't prevent piracy in the slightest. It's my understanding that priated copies of CiV were available for download within days of release, which is basically the same timeline I've seen reflected in other Steam supported games.

15. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Very little prevents eventual piracy even for niche games. Preventing pre-release piracy and stopping leaks for an AAA game might be enough from the publishers point of view.

16. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

How do you know what I'm hoping?

17. Kerosene31

Kerosene31 Prince

This past holiday Steam had daily sales where you could pick up many games very cheap. Many good games were < $10 and even < $5.

I picked up many games for less than $10 US which are still $50 in stores. Retail stores rarely mark down PC games. They just let them sit on the shelf and collect dust. Steam gives me an opportunity to buy games that normally I wouldn't try.

They have great discounts regularly on things. Chances are if you keep your eyes open you can find something you like for dirt cheap. :)

18. Doctor Phibes

Doctor Phibes Prince

Surely a false dichotomy? There are 4 choices, not 2. In between Steam and high (main) street retail stores, there is obviously and firstly online ordering, Amazon and others. I can tell you that they massively discount PC games sometimes even when they are less than a year old. Go look.

Secondly there is also the D2D model, you pays your money and you gets a straight download. You have it right there, you can burn it to CD, do whatever with it. Once you've done that, you certainly do not have to log on and have an ongoing account with the provider to play the game, or to patch it. An example here is Paradox's EUIII expansion packs that you can get from Gamersgate and others. Once again, lots of discounts are available, I just got EU Heir to the Throne for a mere £7 from Impulse.

[Frankly Steam disgusts me, I was shocked when I found that the software I 'bought' as Civ5 was not standalone and depended on a third-party net provider (no, I haven't been buying many games lately, got a bit behind the times). And no, I do not want to be a part of the wretched Steam Gamers community. I play specific games and those game communities do interest me, not Steam.]

19. ryantherenegade

ryantherenegade Chieftain

hate steam, it actually stands for everything that I hate.

20. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Their discounts are nowhere near as good as Steam's or other Digital Retailers. During the holiday sale Steam had ~1300 games/packs on sale. Many of which were 50% or more off! GamersGate and Impulse also had sales though they weren't as good (thoguh GamersGate matched many of Steam's 1 day sales and kept that sale price for the rest of the sale, such as for Mass Effect which was cheaper on GG than Steam). No idea about D2D, I have no interest in buying from them.

Its not really a D2D model, as they aren't the only ones who use it. You also still need to log in to D2D to get patches (provided the game doesn't have its own patching service, which most don't) as each digital distribution website has a different version the .exe file. So if you bought a game on GamersGate, you'll need to log back into your GG account to download patches or re-download the game. Steam does allow you to backup your games into a disc for future reinstallation. Dunno how well you can burn most games bought from any digital distributor onto a CD though, it may depend on the game.

Unless you buy it from Good Old Games, which has no DRM at all (they are my favourite site to buy games from, sadly they don't have as many games that I want as GG or Steam do).

It wasn't exactly kept a secret that Civ5 was going to use Steam, its also listed on the back of the box (though bigger fonts would be nice), and it isn't a net provider. There is also nothing forcing you to join any of the game communities... I am in several groups but they are all for specific communities (CFC, Taleworlds, my TF2 community, etc).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.