1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam - love or hate?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by oogabla, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Phibes

Doctor Phibes Prince

What the hell am I supposed to do with ~1300 games/packs? I'd rather comparison shop for the odd game I want (like once every 3 months) and 'own' it a bit more than with Steam.

And some do. I should have said Caveat Emptor. But once again, I'm not interested in 'most' - I'm look at specifics and checking beforehand. (And what is it with all this bulk buying of games anyway?)

That is partly my bad. I instantly pre-ordered Civ5 when I heard about it out of total loyalty and expectation (never again) - but what do you mean about the 'back of the box' - my order was from Amazon, not a high street shelf.

Yes, wrong terminology, not provider, but 'service'...

2. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

Steam prevents piracy like damn near nothing else. A lot of piracy, the type that can be quantified into a monetary value is casual piracy -- people passing around a game install disk.

'own it a bit more'? Really? Take a look at a license for a game. You don't own it any more than you do a Steam game. Steam just provides some added benefits to said lack of ownership.

Even games that have their own patching service have to specifically note or redirect D2D users to D2D.

He meant the back of the box, in your case, the digital one. The section on Amazon which specifically states:
    You want to be part of the Civ 5 community? Welcome, we're a part of the Steam community because Steamworks is required...well, actually, its not just required, it is a part of Civ 5. The two are inseparable.

Yes, wrong terminology, not provider, but 'service'...[/QUOTE]

3. Jenarie

Jenarie Prince

I'd never heard of Steam before Civ5 and I love it. I like the friend list and the holiday sales were fantastic.

4. ryantherenegade

ryantherenegade Chieftain

Steam only became a success on the back of Half Life.

More cunning and despicable marketing strategy.

"If you are in sales or marketing, kill yourself. I'm not trying to make a joke, just seriously, kill yourself" - The late, great, Bill Hicks.

5. Maktaka

Maktaka Warlord

Sadly, they weren't the best they've been in years past, relatively speaking. Amazon, GoG, and to a lesser extent Impulse have caught on that selling 5 copies of a game at 2/3 off is much better than 0 copies at full price, especially when distribution of the product costs just pennies, so Steam didn't have quite the lock on amazing holiday discounts they did in years past.

Steam still won hands down for scope though. Impulse had a couple hundred items for sale, Amazon a few dozen, GoG a few dozen, Steam had over 1,000 items on sale and dozens of packages of on-sale items for a further price reduction. Got quite a few items that I had heard good things about but never really considered for very good prices.

6. Genocidicbunny

Not really. If it was just Half Life 2, then Steam would be just about dead by now. It became a success because it offered something that no other service did at the time.

7. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Iirc GoG had every game on sale, however they only have a few hundred games (sadly).

Nothing is forcing you to buy all ~1300 things on sale... that would be ridiculous (I'm still working through the ones I bought over a year ago!). just pick and choose the ones you want. Would you rather they only have a few dozen sales on games you don't want?

Who said anything about bulk buying games?

As Gbunny pointed out, its in even bigger writing on Amazon. However you learned a valuable lesson, it is good to always do research and ask around before purchasing (feel free to ask about a game in the All other Games subforum on CFC). And always take "professional" (hah, professional :lol:) reviews with a grain of salt. Some of them are good, many are not.

8. cccv

cccv King

Yep, same here. The best thing about Civ V was that it introduced me to Steam. The convenience alone has lead me to buy and enjoy more games than I'd otherwise have, and the sales are just a great bonus. I'm not making great use of the friends list, but it'd be useful if I... weren't a loser without friends >.>

Anyway, count me as a lover. The only negative thing I have to say is that it takes a legit 1-2 minutes to start up for some reason, which seems like a long wait sometimes. But yeah, hooray for Civ V for "forcing" me to get Steam, it's the best thing the game has done.

9. Doctor Phibes

Doctor Phibes Prince

Sniggers a little bit...

Moderator Action: Replies such as this do not add to the discussion.

10. Maniacal

I'm glad you find that funny, but that doesn't answer anything.

11. Doctor Phibes

Doctor Phibes Prince

Go figure.

In answer to earlier stuff, I now have a perfectly good paid-for copy of EUIII HttT that I 'own' (i.e. can back up, put on another computer), can burn it to disk, whatever. I'm massively in favour of downloadable distribution, but not where it punishes the customer because there is mebbe 5% chance they may be dodgy.

And puleez don't come it with the 50 billion games on Steam that I need to stack up for the rest of the year, because I don't. I buy about 30-50 times more books than PC games (maybe 4 games a year at best, wouldn't want any more). But RL bookstore owners don't look at me like a criminal when I walk through the door (in fact we have rather good talks about how the demand is going and whatnot). In fact sometimes they provide comfy chairs and coffee. Does that make me buy more product? Damn straight it does.

Essentially, don't keep punishing the paying customer. (You should never have punished them in the first place, of course.)

12. Maniacal

As I said you can back up Steam games too, though they will still require Steam. Paradox is good in that they don't use DRM beyond a CD key, but they are not in the majority.

And no one ever said you had to buy many games on Steam or any other website, all I did was point out that Steam had the most games on sale.

Different people have different needs/hobbies/whatever, I don't see why this is an issue.

I've never felt like I have been treated as a criminal when buying games, and when a company has really tried to treat its customers as criminals I don't buy their products (such as Ubisoft's current DRM scheme). Sure having to always log into Steam in order to play your games on there isn't always ideal but I've never had a problem nor have I felt like I have been treated like a criminal.

Not to mention the fact that (used) bookstores are a very different buisness model than game retailers. I also can't sit around a gamestore and start playing my game when my computer is at home (not that I would want to anyways).

Then don't buy games off Steam if you don't like it. As you are aware of there are other websites and ways of getting them.

13. ezwip

ezwip Prince

I don't like it and I hate it. Since it was already on my system I bought another game too. I hate going to the store even more.

14. Kerosene31

Kerosene31 Prince

You may want to educate yourself more on Steam and d2d. Having an opinion is one thing, but you are simply incorrect on many things. As you say, you are way behind the times.

If you bothered to educate yourself just a little, you'd see that your fears are just from your unfamiliarity with Steam.

15. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

That is too vague to be helpful, and too dismissive to be nice.

16. Raneman

Raneman Warlord

Been using steam for 4 years, never had a single problem with it.

17. Geddy

Geddy Warlord

I've had 2 games with steam's spyware and I will never buy another again. It is a pain in the ass to load games, takes time and resources and doesn't work some of the time. Never again.

18. Gillagad

Gillagad Chieftain

Its very challenging and time consuming to click a game in your library, a few next buttons, then let it install. Don't get me started on actually launching games, that one click is brutal. As someone who has 63 games on Steam, I know exactly how you feel.

19. Genocidicbunny

I feel your pain man. Ive got 93 games I have to deal with.

20. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

Do you really think that is a good reason for everyone to be required to use it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.