1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam made me quit Civilization for good

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by garhent, Oct 22, 2011.

1. garhent

garhent Chieftain

I've been playing Civilization since Civilization 2. I've been a fan of the franchise for a long time and I have bought everything I could get. But after today I'm done with Civilization and Sid Meier can kiss my ass.

The decision to put Civ V on the Steam DRM vendor was a bad one. Whenever I take a break from the game and come back a few months later to play it, the game is unplayable. I have to go to the forums and search for tech fixes to reenable game play. I get to read other players who also are having problems getting the game to work and hear about their issues with the game. Today I go to play the game, and I don't have to reenable anything but now my menu is gone when I log in, its just a background photo. I'm sure I could spend an hour trying to find a way to play the game that I BOUGHT. However, I earn $65/hr and so far on Civ V I've spent 6 hours trying to keep the blasted game going. Civ V is not worth $390 to play, sorry Sid, its not.

Putting Civ V on Steam was probably the worst decision that Firaxis mad and I hope that more of the software problems gets noticed in the community and the gaming press to force Civ 6 OFF OF STEAM and OFF OF ALL DRM VENDORS. Thanks to Steam, Sid Meier has forced everyone back to the days of .bat files and trying to find the correct driver setting to get the game to play. But you know what, it was quicker back in the .bat file days because once you fixed the game, it worked. Unlike now, where Civ V due to Steam requires constant research.

Lastly, You Sid.

2. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

The thread, where the missing main menu is discussed, is here...just in case you want to fix the problem.

3. Cheeseisgood

Cheeseisgood Warlord

I... don't understand what issue you're actually having with the game, and why it's steam's fault?

On a personal level - Civ 5 introduced me to Steam and I thank it daily for it.

4. TW_Honorius

TW_Honorius Warlord

steam is not that bad, all games suffer from the same steam problems.

5. Dreamshifter

Dreamshifter Chieftain

The problem that the OP is having, is that Steam updates the game files automatically, and it seems that every time he goes to play (not often, from the sound of it), he has to fix the game, updating drivers, or something else that takes time. Without the automatic updating, you can patch the game, get it running, and never bother to patch it again, so it stays fixed.

6. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

It isn't Steam's fault for having so many game breaking updates for Civ5, blame Firaxis & 2K for not letting the game get finished in the first place :p Not that that excuses the option to turn off auto-updates not working with Civ5 (according to Firaxis and plenty of player feedback). Although I turned off updates for TF2 and that worked, surprisingly enough.

7. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

What is this I don't even...

1.) Steam is not the problem. Obviously if so many people can use Steam for so many things that it can become the most used distribution platform, it must be doing something right. It seriously cannot be that bad, and you should not delude yourself that you are somehow the only person who can see the truth of Steam's suckage. This is obviously a matter of personal opinion.

2.) The fix to your bug is listed above, and the bugs are not Steam's fault. They happen in the programming of the game, not of Steam. Steam problems would include not getting your game to launch, install, or update. Things of that nature would be Steam issues.

3.) If you are complaining about the auto-update (which is understandable...some people like to do things manually) you can shut it off. And even if the patches somehow auto-break your game by updating when you didn't want it to, I still would not consider that Steam's fault. That would, again, be a game programming issue. Complain to Firaxis for that.

4.) This is also not Sid Meier's fault. I gather from your post that you do not know how the game industry works. Sid Meier doesn't make the games anymore. He serves as a creative director, just giving ideas and advice to the developers. He checks in to make sure the game gives a general feel that fits his vision. He does NOT fix bugs, make marketing decisions, program anything, or even tell the developers of the game what to do. It just has his name on it. If you want to blame anyone for the decision to put the game on Steam, blame 2K, the publisher. That is their decision.

5.) You make $65 an hour? So you worked for an hour to pay for this game, this complicated game, that took many hours of work from many people to create. I'm guessing about 75 people working for a year and a half. You are paying 1 hour for their time and effort. I, personally, have played 600+ hours of this game. For $60. Thats a dollar for 10 hours. And I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it. What else are you going to use that money on? $60 is a damn good deal, and even $400 is a good deal. Thats one dollar per 1.5 hours. Still cheap.

8. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

What did you do for those 6 hours?

Usually all it takes is one or a few google searches to solve problems with games. Unfortunately one of the unavoidable drawbacks of gaming on PC is that games are far from guaranteed to run without problems out of the box, but there's also positives, like greater flexibility with tinkering with config files and modding.

With Steam games, restarting Steam and/or verifying cache integrity of a game solves the problem a lot of the time.

9. anandus

anandus Errorist

That should be put in bold, underlined and capital letters somewhere.
    Maybe even marquee :p

10. Brichals

Brichals King

Me too.

11. General Awesome

General Awesome Chieftain

I honestly don't know why people always bash on Steam, it's the biggest online game vendor backed by a prosperous company meaning it has almost every single game you can think off, and personally I have NEVER had a problem with Steam, only annoying thing is you have to have internet to start it (which can be bypassed by simply turning Steam on before losing acess to the internet).

As for the problemswith Civ5, blame 2K. Steam is only the messenger, no need to hate 'em for other's mistakes.

And if you make $65 an hour (more than $150,000 a year!!!) you would assume that you can just hire somebody to fix it for you.

12. trueblue

trueblue Prince

and so it has always been, such is the nature of the beast.

and things were quite often much worse back in teh good ole days of Civ 1,2, whatever.

and the same applies now as back then. its amazing what evils can be fixed with a good old system reboot.

Steam has never given me one peice of hassle, never. The game downloaded great apon purchase. teh patches update seemlessly. and the DLC i buy is done hassle free. they make it really easy for me to spend my money....

13. woodshadows

woodshadows King

14. ScarFace1781

ScarFace1781 Chieftain

I have a totally different experience. Steam has kept Civ 5 updated without me doing a thing and it plays just fine for me every time. My guess is its end user error in some way or your computer isn't up to snuff. In fact, none of my friends have had problems with steam at all.

15. Nebular

Nebular Chieftain

You also don't make $65/hr when you're not working so the game did not cost you $390 of your time unless you're playing at work, in which case you have other problems. Like the others have said, it's not Steam's problem. They're just distributing the game. They're not responsible for the game itself and any technical problems it might have. If a developer cannot use the distribution channel properly or resolve technical issues with their software, that's their problem. If you're going to blame someone, at least blame the right people.

As PieceOfMind mentioned, the first thing to usually try to fix any problem on Steam is to verify the game cache. It's surprising how often this fixes things. For other technical problems, you'd need to contact Firaxis or 2K Games.

16. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

Sid allows Take-Two Interactive use of his brand-name for a cut of the money. Otherwise, Sid probably has little to do with the game.

Steam heralds a new era of top-down control for the gaming industry. It wastes lots of time for the user, but the extra controls are valued highly by the corporations in question. It's time well-wasted as far as they're concerned! Anyway, since you've already bought the game, why should they care?!

17. idiotgenius

idiotgenius Chieftain

Hey- don't worry. i completely agree steam is terrible. I have a windows 7 computer- LITERRALLY BRAND NEW- and it has no problems running steam, but is exeptionally slow even on the first turn. and the gameplay? i have all verisons of civ, but even the first one is better than this, at it's units are just pictures!!! i have a friend who thinks graphics are more important than gameplay, and he just loves it. but civ has never been graphics, it's been gameplay.

sid meier, you should be ashamed at civ. 5!

18. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

LOL! No <snip>. Just bribe the neighborhood nerd kid to fix you up, for a sixpack of Red Bull and a bag of Doritos.

My experience, as well. I don't miss the 'go fish' method of manually hunting down and installing patches and updates, in the slightest. And I've gotten some of the most incredible deals on a wide variety of different games, that I never would have found anywhere else. Steam rocks, in my opinion.

OMG! I'm sensing conspiracy, here... could it be?!? Yes- THEY ARE AFTER OUR MONEY! Damn them to hell!!!!

(ooOOOoh! Looky- that cool game I've been putting off buying for so long- on sale for 75% off!!! Pardon me, have to go get the plastic!)

Moderator Action: Inappropriate language removed.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

19. pennjersey83

pennjersey83 Chieftain

Steam is awesome... The PC version of xbox live.

20. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Since he said the game cost $390, I'm guessing he's not talking about American dollars. It's still only 6-7 hours, though.