1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Steam made me quit Civilization for good

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by garhent, Oct 22, 2011.

1. 00konichiwa00

00konichiwa00 Prince

there was this thing a few days ago were we had to do the update manually. Steam didn't even say anything about it. I think Steam likes to irritate us

2. 00konichiwa00

00konichiwa00 Prince

lol no it's not

3. Brichals

Brichals King

Dialogue box comes up on my girlfriends laptop everytime I get a friend log on in steam, because I sometimes use her laptop for steam. It's like (xx is now playing yy). She got kind of annoyed so I changed my settings and it stopped. It can be done, just what is botehring you go to settings and try to change.

4. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

In your experience, sorry for you. In my experience, it is exceptional software that I'm glad to have installed. It sounds to me like you just haven't spent any real time going through it's settings and adjusting things properly (which I haven't had to do personally much, but I'm sure it would really help a lot of the people who've had problems with it). It does have settings, which are fairly intuitive and sensible and easy to understand once you go look at them.

5. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

Agreed.
    What in specific bothers people?

6. aatami

aatami Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!

/sign

7. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: Please in future expand on any point you are attempting to make. This post is spam, because it's nothing more than 'nuh-uh'. If you disagree with someone, explain why, rather than just say 'no, you're wrong'.

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Me and my younger brother share the game on a single Steam account and it's a hassle when we both try to play at the same time. Otherwise Steam is fine, though I do prefer to have more control over the game's files.

9. acebelder

acebelder Chieftain

I think everyone is missing the point here..
    Either this guy get paid $65/hr to play video games, or he's playing games while he's at work.....
    I guess both ways you look at it, he gets paid $65/hr to play video games.

I wonder if their hiring at his work?

10. 00konichiwa00

00konichiwa00 Prince

haha ;) I think he calculated it a little bit wrong. but I did get his point

11. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

I recently made an out of state trip, and I was without an internet connection in a couple of my layover air ports. I tried to start Steam in offline mode to play - which I've done before - and it would not let me. Anyone know why?

12. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Because you don't start Steam offline. You start it online and leave it open.

13. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

What I found curious was that Steam recognized that I didn't have an internet connection and gave a prompt to start in offline mode. When I selected "start in offline mode," it gave me some error message. I know I've used it in offline mode before in the same situation. I don't know why I am unable to do it now, and I am curious if others have the same problem.

14. NorthNovas

NorthNovas Chieftain

I have seen a similar error but the game still started. I have a laptop that is always off mode even with an internet connection. However, to do that I had to set up connecting to Steam and then option offline the computer remembers the setting; I always get the prompt to "start in offline mode". The error came up but the game still started.

I was very skeptical of Steam a few years back but now I enjoy the convenience! As for any technical issues they usually are user software related and there was only one I had in 3 years and the answer was on their forum.

The only downside I really don't like seeing is how the hours are tracked on game play when online. I always think is there a possibility I could have been doing something more productive with my time? :undecide:

15. HammerandSickle

HammerandSickle Warlord

Gamers of the world, Unite!!

(I always wanted to say that:goodjob:)

Now, back to the topic. Steam is something positive. I like the achievements, I like the sales (oh, I can't wait for Christmas), and most of all, I like that I have a game library with all my games. The fact that I can chat with my friends while playing is nice, too.

I generally like Steam and have no problems with it (except when it won't start in offline mode because it can't connect to the internet. I mean, they called it OFFline for a reason)

16. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

I once lost internet connection and Steam wouldn't start without downloading the patch, which it couldn't do.
    I set it to not auto-download patches after that, and problem solved :goodjob:.

17. Telecide

Telecide Chieftain

Absolutely. I'm pretty much done with civilization. If you like operating the game you bought as a terminal accessing a central hub, more power to you. Sign up for steam, give em your credit card number and have at it. But if I buy a game I expect to open the box to find the actual game I paid for, not some drm software that may download the game for me if I jump through enough hoops. If steam is so great, strange that it wasn't publicized as a REQUIREMENT for civ5. And on top of that civ5, as a game, is pretty meh. Nowhere in the same league as bts.

18. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

@NorthNovas and ShahjahanII

Thanks for the replies and information.

19. Maktaka

Maktaka Warlord

Wait, what? CiV being a Steamworks title was HEAVILY publicized prior to release. It's on the system requirements for the box, there were massive threads about it at every civ forum, you really couldn't have missed it.

Also, give Steam your credit card info? Why? You only do that when you buy something ON Steam, and if you've purchased CiV elsewhere, then you don't put it in again when you install. That would be silly. If you bought retail, you install the contents of the game from the disc, which is the entire game as it shipped, Steam installs the patches, and you're off and running.

20. Breezin

Breezin Warlord

It's too bad that you had a negative experience. I'm a fan of Steam and I really like that it seems to have re-invigorated PC gaming.

I will agree with you that the inability to re-sell or transfer a game license is a negative but given that the games are pretty cheap anyway or go on sale regularly it hasn't been too big a deal for me. Overall in my experience, the positives of Steam far outweigh any negatives.

That being said, I understand the reservations many have with Steam.